What albums *really* exceeded your expectations???

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G A Russell noted in the vinyl thread that it's Bobby Bland's birthday today. And that reminded me of this

bobbybland.jpg

This LP came out in 1980, one of several produced by MCA, inheritors of his contract with Duke. The other LPs weren't really too good - a couple of good tracks on each but nothing special. So, when I found a real cheap copy of this, I wasn't expecting very much.

But it's one of Bland's best ever! And that means extraordinarily good. It was conceived as a tribute to Joe Scott, who had died a short while before. Bland's backed by strings but it all works. Even "Over the rainbow" is great! (With a nice George Bohannon solo) And there are great rhythm numbers like "Hollywood woman", and "Sweet vibrator". But, as ever, it's the blues that come through most. And there are some splendid ones on this, none more effective than Rufus Thomas' "Just because I leave, that don't mean I'm gone (Suspicious)".

Oh yes, yes!

MG

I'm a little mystified to see the classic Blue Notes, classic period Trane, and choice Mosaic sets in this thread. Really exceeded expectations? Seems like a case of grossly suppressed expections to me. Why wouldn't you already expect those to be wonderful? When I read through, I was hoping for a lot more surprises that I should consider checking out. I'll share one - The Grachan Moncur stuff on BYG Actuel is wonderful, and much more accessible than the vast majority of material on that label. Available as a twofer CD which is well worth checking out.

Guest the mommy

felzz-i would totally agree with you about the moncurs.

i have found in general that moncur is a mellowing influence on out dates from that time. his name is always a welcome sight among the credits.

i really like the second moncur BYG and wonder what the deal is with the sidemen-i have never heard of them. but that date is underrated, IMO. and over in the funnyrat thread, you will see people are raving about various parts of the first moncur BYG as we speak.

A lot of the so-called "blowing sessions" from the mid-late 50s on Prestige (which seem to be categorically dismissed).

Eric, you're absolutely right about those, and I can tell you what the secret to the success of many of those sessions was - writing and arranging by Teddy Charles and/or Mal Waldron, who were very skilled at organizing a session as well as gifted players.

felzz-i would totally agree with you about the moncurs.

i have found in general that moncur is a mellowing influence on out dates from that time. his name is always a welcome sight among the credits.

i really like the second moncur BYG and wonder what the deal is with the sidemen-i have never heard of them. but that date is underrated, IMO. and over in the funnyrat thread, you will see people are raving about various parts of the first moncur BYG as we speak.

Adam, I agree on the rhythm section on that second BYG Moncur - I never heard of them either, yet their underpinning makes it a lovely session, the only BYG I would use that description for.

you know whats really fuckin me up now: this 1940, pre bebop era live date w/ the jay mcshann band- bird is playin like bird, but its the small group swing sound of KC, no bebop in sight, yet here is bird, playin exactly like bird over it- it is truly a marvel

So what album is that Chewy? Sounds like something I want...

MG

For me, Rudolph Johnson's 2 Black Jazz albums - "Spring Rain" and "Second Coming" - fit into this category. Picked them up in a cut out bin, expected nothing, and I've been enjoying them for 30 years now!

Ah yes! And Gene Russell's 2 LPs for Black Jazz. I picked those up, knowing nothing about him. And later found he owned the label!

MG

For me, Rudolph Johnson's 2 Black Jazz albums - "Spring Rain" and "Second Coming" - fit into this category. Picked them up in a cut out bin, expected nothing, and I've been enjoying them for 30 years now!

Ah yes! And Gene Russell's 2 LPs for Black Jazz. I picked those up, knowing nothing about him. And later found he owned the label!

MG

I'll add the Doug and Jean Carn albums on Black Jazz. They were $.99 cutouts which blew my mind!

B00006OYM6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Proper's "Hillbilly Boogie". It's one of the very few things that knocked jazz out of my CD player in the last year and I keep going back to it. It's also an incredible bargain. Have some cold beer on hand then throw this set on, it's a great listen and a lot of fun!

Edited by mikelz777

Dolphy ~ Conversations.

I had Iron Man for quite a while and just didn't listen to it all that often. I figured since these were both Alan Douglas sides they would be in the same vein. I was happy to be wrong as Conversations just blew me away, in particular his work on the bass clarinet.

not jazz, but from a 29 cent cutout bin, tim buckley happy sad.

probably 59 cents. sviatoslav richter's incredible sofia live vinyvlrecording of pictures at an exhibition!

29 cent cutout bin? :o

have they survived into 21st century or are you talking ancient history?

ancient, although my local cd store now has tons of used lps at 'make offer' and no one in my town knows anything about jazz or classical.........

Edited by alocispepraluger102

There have probably been many others, but one that comes to mind right now is Outskirts of Town by The Prestige Blues-Swingers. I expected it to be a typical Prestige jam session with maybe a few good solos. It turned out to be a very good big band date with arrangements by Jerry Valentine and good soloing by Tiny Grimes, Art Farmer, and Jimmy Forrest, among others.