What albums *really* exceeded your expectations???

Rooster_Ties

What did you first get in the past few years (or even years ago), that was really "kick-ass"?? - even if you only picked it us cuz it looked "interesting" on paper, or you heard it was good - but had your doubts going into it (or heard it 'hyped' a lot, before you heard it).

Or, maybe another similar question: What reissues/new-releases actually lived up to your (probably unrealistically high) expectations, going into it??

Or, how about this: what unexpectedly couldn't you get out of your CD player (or off your turntable) for like a whole month after you got it??

==========

For me, two recent jazz titles that come to mind as totally smacking me up-side the head - to the point that I listened to them 10 or even 15 times the first week I got 'em, and another 3-5 times per week for a couple more weeks after that, were...

Jimmy Woods - "Conflict" ( :o;) - just came out this week in the U.S. )

Chick Corea - "The Complete 'IS' Sessions" (2002 Conn) FYI: Disc #1 specifically, I could do w/out Disc #2.

Both of these (the Woods and Corea) were discs I thought might be good, but I had no idea how totally amazing I would find them to be, even the first time I heard them (not even all-the-way-though all the tracks, or even not all-the-way-through the first track). I mean, I was hooked 1 or 2 minutes into the first track, and it only got better (or baddder!!!!) the more I heard!!!

A new jazz title that did this for me also was...

Dave Douglas - "The Infinite" (2002)

and a new non-jazz release, that I probably listened to 3-5 times a week for the first month I had it - the band called...

Interpol - "Turn on the Bright Lights" (2002)

And as I think of others, I'll add them to this thread....

How about you????? :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had trouble getting into Interpol, myself. I downloaded it and have listened a couple of times, but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

From my list:

• Carmell Jones - Mosaic Select. Rock solid and never quits.
  • Thad Jones - Mosaic. Picked it up before it went OOP on a whim. Just kept getting better.
  • Dave Holland Big Band - "What Goes Around". Saw them live, too. VERY exciting.

Most recently the CD that I just play and play and play is 'Chorale' by the Simone Guiducci Gramelot Ensemble, bought just because I liked the sound of it from a review in Jazz Review. From the joyous opening tune, sounding like an Italian folk dance melody, through another seven shifts in mood and dynamics it never fails to hold my attention. It's in my 'play every spring' pile!

Guiducci plays acoustic guitar with accordion, two clarinets, bass and drums in the ensemble. That might sound like wimpy folk stuff but believe me this is most definitely well inside the jazz boundaries (wherever they may be!).

Great supporting roles by Chris Speed, Ralph Alessi and, best of all, Erik Friedlander. His solo on La sigagna is worth the price of the disc alone.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I'll second BFrank's mention of the Thad Jones Mosaic; I can't believe how good it is-I figured if I didn't like it, there was always eBay. But it's a keeper!

I'll add Cyrus Chestnut's Soul Food. I heard one cut on the radio, and had some extra loot that week so I gave it a shot. Wow!!!

(What Goes Around would make the list, but I'd heard it and knew what I was getting into!)

Soul Stream already mentioned this one, but let me also say...

Dizzy Reece's "Soundin' Off" far exceeded my expectations. Also, this one that hasn't been mentioned yet...

Horace Parlan's "Happy Frame of Mind" really was a big standout for me when I got the Parlan Mosaic.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Sometimes I'll hear about a musician, either in a magazine article or through word of mouth, and I just know that I'm going to like their music. Most recently that happened with Kurt Rosenwinkel. His name had been popping up here and there, and I just had that feeling. Then I spoke with a guitarist named Craig Ebner, who was playing with Joey DeFrancesco. Craig was just raving about Kurt, saying he was the next guy after Sco, Metheny, and Frisell (hard acts to follow). I didn't waste much time after that getting his album The Next Step, which is now one of my top five favorite guitar albums of all time. Not just guitar actually. There's something about the emotional tenor of his playing that really resonates with me. I'm still waiting for a new album; he's a bit overdue.

The Django Reinhardt Mosaic. Had no Django in my house and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I found out.

The Ventura/Phillips Mosaic and the Blue Note 10" Conn series. My first forays into jazz of the 50s. Was very happy to find out that there was great jazz coming out before the 60s. Sometimes you just have to listen, I guess.

The West Coast Classics. Same reason as above. I'd heard all the lukewarm to negative comments about the music. Then I listened. Now I'm a big fan,

The Blue Note Swingtets and The Blue Note Jazzmen. My first taste of earlier jazz styles.

Sam Rivers Mosaic My first turn down the path of the avante garde. Still moving slowly, but I've picked up some Ornette and Cecil Taylor among others

Greg Osby - Seasons of Renewal I picked this up when it first came out and really dug the M-Base style. Followed his career ever since.

Stan Getz - The Bossa Nova Years Some of my earliest musical memories include the Bossa Nova craze that swept the US in the early 60s. But for every Girl from Ipanema, there were 10 Blame it on the Bossa Nova's, or so it seemed. It wasn't until years later, when I was firmely into jazz that I was able to listen with an open mind. I discovered beautiful rhythms and sounds that incorporated jazz and Brazillian music. Gorgeous.

Donald Byrd The Transition Sessions with Doug Watkins and Joe Gordon (Mobley's on some tracks too). Great double-CD, both musically and sound-wise. Speaking of Gordon, I also recently found a copy of Lookin' Good and agree with Stan. Also Blues Bag, a Buddy DeFranco album with Art Blakey, has been getting a lot of play at my house. Arts & Crafts, by Matt Wilson.

Ed, if you can find a copy of the West Coast Classic Katanga with Curtis Amy and the great, little-heard, Dupree Bolton, snap it up! It kicks ass. Recently I found a WCC sampler CD for only $5. Great deal. I wish they were all still in print.

Miles Davis.

I didn't like his muted trumpet sound or his stuff with Gil Evans or Birth Of The Cool when I first heard it. What happened was the part in Burns's History of Jazz where they show the 2nd quintet playing Gingerbread Boy (I believe), I thought that riff was so cool. A friend of mine had a radio sampler of the box set with that song on it. I liked everything on it so I slowly went further. After I realized his muted trumpet sound was as annoying as I first thought, I opened myself up to all his stuff (up to 1975, I'm not going to bother with the 80's stuff). Now I can't wait till all the box sets are out! I dislike that box #3 (1963-64) will be the last one as I've been recreating the original albums on tape for my car, and can't go any further until that box is out.

Ornette Coleman & Prime Time.

It's the same idea as his acoustic stuff, just electric. I liked Body Meta because it was so crazy.

Ed, if you can find a copy of the West Coast Classic Katanga with Curtis Amy and the great, little-heard, Dupree Bolton, snap it up! It kicks ass. Recently I found a WCC sampler CD for only $5. Great deal. I wish they were all still in print.

I do have that one and you are right, it kicks ass.

I remember reading somewhere that Curtis Amy might be a candidate for a future Mosaic Select. That would be nice.l

You guys have mentioned some albums that really did it for me too. Horace Parlan especially surprised me. I've really enjoyed his Blue Note dates, and Jackie McLean's Destination Out was the album that made me a fan of his.

Here's a couple that I really enjoy, but haven't heard mentioned anywhere.

Pharoah Sanders - Izipho Zam (Strata East)

Mal Waldron - Seagulls of Kristiansundi (Soul Note)

Randy Weston - Tanjah (Verve)

Marchel Ivery - Marchel's Mode (Leaning House)

I know there are many more, but these come to mind, because I really didn't expect to like them as much as I do.

:rsmile:

Gerald Wilson Mosaic - most surprisingly good Mosaic I've purchased thus far, I think.

I'll agree with that. Gerald Wilson was a big surprise. The first time I heard his album "Portraits", I was blown away. After that, I couldn't wait for the Mosaic set, and I have not been disappointed.

:rsmile:

• 3 years later...

Yeah on Parlan.

I haven't really had this experience too much with jazz records of the past couple of years, but things that I've had for some years and which I still count as absolutely unreal (and that I came to with little expectation):

Hans Dulfer's Ritmo-Natural LPs on Catfish - Candy Clouds, The Morning After the Third, and El Saxofon (w/ Frank Wright) - don't think music like this exists anywhere else; free-Afro-Latin-psychedelic jams that I really can't put my finger on, and nor could I live without. I had no idea what to expect with the first purchase, and the others did not let down! They certainly need a reissue!

John Tchicai & Cadentia Nova Danica (Polydor) - again, I had no idea what I was getting into with this record, but it is so utterly unique that I can't imagine my life pre-CND.

Ric Colbeck - The Sun Is Coming Up (Fontana) didn't think he was all that hot with Noah Howard, so this one came as a real surprise.

Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music (Blue Note) - somehow, I thought this had the potential to be weak. Boy was I wrong.

Howard Riley - The Day Will Come - (CBS) - I bought it on a lark because a friend said I would like it. Well, it might be one of the best inside-outside piano trios I've ever heard. His other records are great, too, but this is a mother...

I had similar experiences approaching the music of Graham Collier and Ray Russell, both people whose records I bought without any preconception other than curiosity, and was summarily blown away. I mean, there are a lot of good, obscure jazz records out there. However, the thing about uniqueness is what really gets me going. If it doesn't sound like anything else... that's when my expectations are exceeded.

There have been many, but I'd say most recently it was Wes Montgomery's "Incredible Jazz Guitar". Before that, the only Wes I'd heard was the live Half Note album, which didn't do much for me, but after getting "Full House" during the Concord sale, I placed a second order which included IJG. To say I was blown away is an understatement. It instantly was, and still is, the best jazz guitar album I've ever heard.