"Quantum Criminals" New Steely Dan Book

Hey Felser, thanks to your posting of the Nazz playing "Hello, It's Me", I decided to check out Todd Rundgren's "The Individualist". I'm only halfway through it, but it's a fascinating look at the 60s and 70s scene through TR's eyes and ears. I never knew he was such an accomplished producer.

Thanks!

Sure, Fagen ripped off the intro and feel of Jarrett's tune, but listen to the great song he composed on top of it. It was stupid on his part to not give KJ credit. He paid for it. KJ is now listed as co-composer on the record. When Keith complained about it at first, DF used to post "your check's in the mail!"

3 hours ago, sgcim said:

Hey Felser, thanks to your posting of the Nazz playing "Hello, It's Me"

Credit where credit's due: @TTK actually posted that cut, I posted their Nuggets classic "Open My Eyes" right behind it.  Rundgren's a Philly (Upper Darby) guy, I have two good friends who went to high school with him.  He was recognized as a great talent even then.

Edited by felser

6 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Mildly off-topic, but is there a free or inexpensive plug-in that will allow me to remove Michael McDonald's voice from Steely Dan records?  I don't like Steely Dan enough to pay a lot of money to do this. 

Fagen used to love listening to Les baxter scores. There's a funny story in the book where Mike McDonald was doing some weed late at night, and the SCTV skit came on with Rick Moranis playing MM running back and forth from record date to record date to add background vocals to Chrisopher Cross, Steely Dan etc...songs, and he thought he was having a psychotic breakdown watching himself on TV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JLbhEUE_5U

On 11/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, mjzee said:

Upon reflection, this is a very cold anecdote and doesn't reflect well on Steely Dan.  They're fabulously wealthy, yet can't empathize with Tariq and Gunz's bad fortune.  At some point, SD should have nullified the contract and kicked back some money to T & G.  Especially considering that, unless SD wrote every note that Sample played, Sample probably had some compositional input too.

People who make a lot of money almost never think they have enough. 

On 11/17/2023 at 7:30 AM, Joe said:

Damn. Thanks for posting that. I've owned that Jarrett album forever. Used to like Steely Dan a lot, had tired of them by "Gaucho" (lyrics got too arch and music too polished), but still heard that tune an awful lot. Kicking myself that I never noticed.