What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of items from a Half Price Books sale. Most of the times I go there I'm disappointed with the selection but they had a fair amount of decent stuff there today. I already owned most of the interesting stuff but I grabbed these two discs, new/sealed for 20% off:

51TUiSm8WPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band Live at the Olympia Paris 1960

I was surprised to read this little blurb on the back cover art, "The must have companion piece to the Mosaic box set!"

51FFWBK19GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charles Mingus - East Coasting

51FFWBK19GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I really like Tijuana Moods which was recorded around the same time with basically the same group. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Bill Evans was the pianist. I'm looking forward to giving it (and the Mulligan) a listen. I won't be having any "me" time until tomorrow so it'll have to wait.

Edited by mikelz777

From my lunchtime run to my local independent retailer

Steve Coleman and Five Elements - Lucidarium (Label Bleu)

Bill Dixon - Envoi (Victo)

Benito Gonzalez - Circles (Furthermore)

M.O.B. Trio - Quite Live In Brooklyn (Omnitone)

Nordic Connect- Spirals (ArtisShare)

The Rempis Percussion Quartet - Montreal Parade (482 Music)

Internet orders

Ahmed Abdullah's Ebonic Tones - Tara's Song (Tum)

Muhal Richard Abrams - Afrisong (Why Not)

Fred Anderson - Staying In The Game (Engine)

Fred Anderson - Black Horn Gone (Southport)

Billy Bang - Valve No. 10 (Black Saint)

Nathan Davis - Rules of Freedom (Polydor)

Farmers By Nature - Out of This World's Distortions (AUM Fidelity)

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath - Live At Willisau (LP sleeve edition) (Ogun)

Wayne Shorter - Etcetera (Blue Note)

Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple (Blue Note)

David S. Ware • Cooper-Moore • William Parker • Muhammad Ali - Planetary Unknown (AUM Fidelity)

I've never dipped into this little family of the music world before so I thought I'd pick up a healthy slice of early country rock ranging from the late 60's to the late 70's. I'm really excited to dig into this stuff! (Once it arrives.)

51RZa-dHVaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gram Parsons - Sacred Hearts & Fallen Angels: Anthology

This is a 2-CD, 46 song Rhino anthology covers Parson's work with the International Submarine Band, continuing through his period with the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers in the late 1960s, and ending with his two solo albums from the early 1970s. Listening through the sound samples a couple of times really hooked me.

61tWL7qrO5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels - Live 1973

Another Rhino issue covering a performance recorded in front of a studio audience and broadcast live on WLIR in New York in March of 1973. He and Emmylou Harris made quite some beautiful music together. (Here and on the Anthology above.)

51qQpu1JeYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Emmylou Harris - Original Album Series

This 5-CD set contains some of her best and includes her 1970's Reprise releases, Pieces of the Sky, Elite Hotel, Luxury Liner, Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town & Blue Kentucky Girl. I snagged this one new/sealed for $13.97.

51Nnj9mGqiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51hVYLo2RTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51aqQTQbntL._SL500_AA300_.jpg412PBoBAR5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg51SkYi5kIOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Three box sets:

The Style Council: The Complete Adventures of The Style Council

The Rubble Collection: Volumes 11-20

The Los Angeles Free Music Society: The Lowest Form Of Music (10 cds). Interesting story. I was holding this box this morning at Amoeba's, and one of the staff comes buy and we start talking, and it turns out that he is Rick Potts! who is a founding member of The Los Angeles Free Music Society, and we had a very nice talk. He was saying that there was a symposium on free music in London about three years ago, and they flew all the members of the LAFMS back there. He still can't believe it. Very nice guy, who I always see working when I go to Amoeba. Well, that's my interesting story for the day.

Edited by Matthew