What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Henderson - "In N'Out" (doesn't sound significantly different from the McMastered version, but does have the alt. take)

Dexter Gordon - "One Flight Up" (this RVG does sound better)

Krzysztof Komeda - "Polish Jazz V.3"

Bought this yesterday but played it today: The DVD 'The World According to John Coltrane' which was released recently here by an outfit called Umbrella Entertainment. That's the 1990 portrait of Coltrane that was directed by Robert Palmer and Toby Byron. The one with interviews of Rashied Ali, Wayne Shorter, Jimmy Heath, Alice Coltrane,LaMonte Young, Roscoe Mitchell, Tommy Flanagan, etc. A shame they did not seek out Elvin Jones.

What impressed me on this DVD was the amazing (well filmed and with good sound) sequence of the Coltrane Quintet with Dolphy and an uncredited Reggie Workman. Origin of the footage is not given but it obviously comes from the November 24, 1961 show taped by Sudwestfunk in Baden-Baden. The quintet plays 'My Favorite Things' and 'Impressions'. Just incredible the power of that music. Too bad they did not include the complete music from the show.

Other little know footage on the DVD is the bad video of the Comblain la Tour (Belgium) appearance by the classic JC quartet on August 1, 1965 that was taped by Belgian TV (did not catch a proper credit on this either!).

New RVGs:

• Joe Henderson - In N'Out
  • McCoy Tyner - Tender Moments
  • Art Blakey - Free For All

and

• Ornette Coleman - Beauty is a Rare Thing

wanted to order, but didn't (big visa bills *aren't* a rare thing)

• Tomasz Stanko - Suspended Night, Leosia
  • Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
  • John Coltrane - Complete Africa/Brass Sessions

Yesterday I ordered the Fresh Sound 2 CD set WYNTON KELLY! I hope it was not a mistake. Some Fresh Sound disks have pretty poor sound.

Today I odered DEE DEE BRIDGEWATER - LOVE AND PEACE: A TRIBUTE TO HORACE SILVER. I am not big on vocals (except LH&R and LH&B) but I liked the idea of lyrics to Horace Silver's songs, particularly Nica's Dream.

Have to stop the buying though! :angry:

Tom

Well yesterday...

hayeslonesome.jpg

That's Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill. A fiddle, a guitar. Everything played sloooooow!!!!! Breathtaking. From County Clare but Hayes lives in Seattle. Track him down Seattlers.

theboxset_1964-2004.gif

Yer man with 6 CDs of private recordings.

free.jpg

One I've been curious about for years.

524376.jpg

I've seen him live twice, both times electrifying. Never found a disc that came close. Could this be it?

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Got my share of Verve Master Edition CDs today:

Duke Ellington - Soul Call (great live orchestra!)

Ellington & Hodges - Side by side

dtto. - Back to back

Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt - Blues Tenors in Orbit (much better than I thought)

The Modern Jazz Sextet - Gillespie, Stitt, John Lewis etc.

Nat Adderley - Introducing N.A.

the latter is a killer, Roy Haynes plays magnificently here - I'd recommend this disc for him alone!

..... and:

Paul Bley - Circles (love it!)

Denis Colin Trio (after a recommendation in the bass clarinet thread)

Stopped at the local used CD store and picked up a couple of titles from teh West Coast Classic Series: Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, "Blowin' Country," and Bob Brookemeyer, "Traditionalism Revisited." I think these both made their way onto Mosaic Selects, but I wanted to get them in their West Coast Classic editions.

I also got Greg Osby's "Symbols of Light"- I've been on a serious Osby kick lately. I've read this isn't one of his better efforts, but I thought it was worth a venture, especially at the price.

Also, Herbie Nichols Trio, "Love, Gloom, Cash, Love," which I had not seen before. Great title. I have Nichols Blue Note work, so this makes a nice addition.

• 2 weeks later...