What music did you buy today?

tonym

Hm, I only have "Turning Point" so far...

And I'm oh so sympathetic about that annoying behaviour in brick and mortar stores... ever more so if they have what they call "sales" (meaning they're actually not totally beyond competition in terms of prices)... there are days where I can't leave without picking up a dozen discs, no matter how common and how much in print these may be (RVGs, Universal stuff... sometimes they also have SteepleChase or Leo sales... though usually it's just BN, Universal, and earlier on also Fantasy/OJC now and then... too bad I wasn't all over those when they were more common!)

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The incessant rain stopped today, so I had a little shopping trip into Cardiff and bought:

51T+sff-hSL._SS500_.jpg

A wonderful CD - I have got the first 8 tracks on original LPs but, of the new material, the title track is just incredible!

41BB8D80J3L._SS400_.jpg

I've been looking for this for ages - I didn't find out about it until after it had been deleted. But Spillers had managed to get one in and I snapped it up quickly, in preference to the Jimmy Smith Conn, at the same price. Checking the track list carefully, I find I have 45 of the 106 tracks already. So I may assemble the others into something, or perhaps combine them with vinyl drops of other material by the same artists.

One of the problems with this type of compilation, though it's MUCH worse on a 4 CD set, is that there are no ballads or slow grinds included. If the aim, as it says on the cover, is to present a history of this style, at least a few ballads and slow grinds are very important. Those guys could play a ballad so sexy, there'd be knickers all over the dance floor at the end! Same with slow, rocking blues. That was what this music was FOR!

Still, the lack didn't stop my buying this, even though I knew what to expect :)

MG

Clifford Brown: Clifford Brown & Max Roach Quintet With Harold Land - Complete Studio Recordings (Essential Jazz Classics)

contains the music originally issued on "Clifford Brown & Max Roach", "Brown & Roach Inc.", "Study In Brown" and "More Study In Brown" (only the tracks with H. Land)

Milt Jackson: Plenty, Plenty Soul (Essential Jazz Classics)

contains the complete Atlantic album "Plenty, Plenty Soul" and part of the Atlantic album "Ballads & Blues"

Paul Gonsalves: Gettin' Together! (Jazzland)

Brooks Tegler Big Band: That's It! (Maxngruber)

Martial Solal: Improvise Pour France Musique (JMS)

Duke Ellington: Black Brown And Beige 1943-1945 (Naxos Jazz Legends)

compilation of radio transcriptions

Duke Ellington: Air Conditioned Jungle 1945 (Naxos Jazz Legends)

compilation of radio transcriptions

Dizzy Gillespie: Cubana Be, Cubana Bop (Dreyfus Reference)

Big Band recordings 1946-49

Tommy Potter: Hard Funk In Sweden (Jazz Connections)

1956 recordings featuring Rolf Ericson, Ake Persson, Erik Norstrom, Lars Gullin, Freddie Redd, Joe Harris

Actually, I only bought the first on this list today, but here's what's in the pipeline:

Duke Ellington -- The Ellington Suites

Duke Ellington -- Never No Lament: The Blanton-Webster Band

Duke Ellington -- Complete Standard Transcriptions

Duke Ellington -- Ellington at Newport 1956

Count Basie -- The Complete Decca Recordings

Ran Blake, Anthony Braxton -- A Memory of Vienna (to replace MP3 copy)

I placed another Concord order to beat the Jan. 31 deadline:

Lockjaw Davis / Johnny Griffin: Blues up and Down and The Tenor Scene

Illinois Jacquet: The Blues: That's Me! and Bottoms Up

Barney Kessel: To Swing or not to Swing

Shelly Manne: Live at the Black Hawk, v. 1

Randy Weston / Melba Liston - Volcano Blues

took me about a year to realize that i couldn't find it on amazon.de because they had entered it to the system in a way that it doesn't show up when searching for Randy Weston... luckily that had also driven the price down so i got it for 2,50 euro... still some cheap copies on amazon.de, search for volcano blues, excellent upon first impression!

f58996wfiaq.jpgc931830e913.jpg

Let me also add, I was able to snatch the difficult to find Gryce recording from Newbury Comics for $16.18 including shipping. A bargain these days.

I was lucky to find a japanese mini-LP edition of the Gryce last summer (I didn't care what edition I got, I just wanted the music...) - make sure you also try your luck on "Sayin' Something", that one turned out even better to my ears! (I still have to get "The Rat Race Blues", but I figured that one was the easiest to find...

took me about a year to realize that i couldn't find it on amazon.de because they had entered it to the system in a way that it doesn't show up when searching for Randy Weston... luckily that had also driven the price down so i got it for 2,50 euro... still some cheap copies on amazon.de, search for volcano blues, excellent upon first impression!

One of my favourite Weston discs - Teddy Edwards is marvellous!

indeed! thank you so much for recommending it, spinning it for the second time now... my second later weston disc (after kephera) and i like it a lot more than that one, favorite track so far is that trio version of Mystery of Love with Weston, Edwards and Jamil Nasser...

Bought a new copy of the 'Sinatra in Vegas' box from the always wonderful Newbury Comics on Amazon Marketplace for $29.99 plus shipping. The list price is $79.98.

Amazon Marketplace is great for box sets as overseas shipping for one CD item is $6.89, not cheap for one CD but great for a bulky box set.

indeed! thank you so much for recommending it, spinning it for the second time now... my second later weston disc (after kephera) and i like it a lot more than that one, favorite track so far is that trio version of Mystery of Love with Weston, Edwards and Jamil Nasser...

"Saga" is almost as good - it has come out in one of Unviersal France's digipack series (Heritage, Anniversary, whatever). I'll keep my old disc for that one... it does not have Teddy Edwards, though, who's a major bonus to me on "Volcano Blues".

The 2CD set "Spirits of Our Ancestors" is likely what you should look for, next, I guess... (seems there's a one CD selection from that one, too, so be cautious!)

as i wrote above you might consider buying Volcano Blues at amazon.de, prices start at 3,50 Euro...

http://www.amazon.de/Volcano-Blues-Weston/...2752&sr=8-1

just ordered another Weston, this one... (from juno.co.uk...)

41SC0H668GL._SS400_.jpg

one of the most diverse and impressive credits listings i recall

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&s...gzfrxq95ldje~T4

Bob Marley, Can, Tim Hardin, Viv Stanshall, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker and (not on the list) Nick Drake, Randy Weston and the Rolling Stones (and some more)

Edited by Niko

Woody Herman Mosaic Select

Oscar Peterson: A Norman Granz Legacy - Songbooks Etcetera (Avid)

10 cd compilation of all the songbook recordings of OP between 1952 and 1954 with either Barney Kessel or Herb Ellis and Ray Brown, sesssions with Billie Holiday, Ben Webster, Lester Young, Dizzy Gillespie/Stan Getz and Flip Phillips as well as 1953 JATP.

as i wrote above you might consider buying Volcano Blues at amazon.de, prices start at 3,50 Euro...

http://www.amazon.de/Volcano-Blues-Weston/...2752&sr=8-1

just ordered another Weston, this one... (from juno.co.uk...)

41SC0H668GL._SS400_.jpg

one of the most diverse and impressive credits listings i recall

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&s...gzfrxq95ldje~T4

Bob Marley, Can, Tim Hardin, Viv Stanshall, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker and (not on the list) Nick Drake, Randy Weston and the Rolling Stones (and some more)

Thanks niko - I'm going to look over here first, because Amazon.de charges 6 euro for postage to the UK.

MG

Thanks niko - I'm going to look over here first, because Amazon.de charges 6 euro for postage to the UK.

MG

:) should have said that i had already looked at amazon.co.uk for you (starting at 14 pound), maybe amazon.fr is an option (iirc they charge only 4,50 at least to germany...) or something other than amazon...

MG

:) should have said that i had already looked at amazon.co.uk for you (starting at 14 pound), maybe amazon.fr is an option (iirc they charge only 4,50 at least to germany...) or something other than amazon...

Oh, thanks Niko

MG

These all recently came in the mail.

Portrait of Sonny Criss and Just Us-Roy Haynes Trio

21hqNcSD1oL._AA130_.jpg21V3G11BPPL._AA130_.jpg

Sonny Stitt/Bud Powell/J.J. Johnson (What's up with that cover art?) and Soul Battle - Oliver Nelson/King Curtis/Jimmy Forrest

51WJFH3S62L._AA240_.jpg41ZQ6AC2W4L._AA240_.jpg

About Time - Eric Kloss

f23974fir15.jpg

Edited by mikelz777