What music did you buy today?

tonym

15 hours ago, erwbol said:

Jazzmessengers order:

Von Freeman Have No Fear (Nessa)

Von Freeman Serenade & Blues (Nessa)

Fred Hersch Trio Live in Europe (Palmetto)

Second hand at Discogs:

Randy Weston African Cookbook (Koch, HDCD)

Those two Von Freeman discs are OUTSTANDING. :tup

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to my cable TV system's Music Choice Jazz station, when I heard a good tune from a CD titled "Live @ The Loft" by a tenor player by the name of Michael Pedicin. I Googled him and found out that CD Baby carried several of his recordings ( https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPedicin1 ), including a couple of ballads CDs. I like spinning ballads at dinner time. So I ordered three CDs.  I've played one of the ballads CDs already and it is excellent.

So thanks Music Choice - you turned me on to a player I've never heard before and likely never would have any other way.

27 minutes ago, erwbol said:

51Gfqgg3BZL.jpg

Edmond Hall's Blue Note Jazz Men, Sidney De Paris' Blue Note Jazzmen, James P. Johnson's Blue Note Jazzmen - The Blue Note Jazzmen (CDP 724382126225)

https://www.discogs.com/Edmond-Halls-Blue-Note-Jazz-Men-Sidney-De-Paris-Blue-Note-Jazzmen-James-P-Johnsons-Blue-Note-Jazzmen/release/9676064?ev=item-vc

Sealed copy for €7.30. :)

Essential! :tup

10 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I was listening to my cable TV system's Music Choice Jazz station, when I heard a good tune from a CD titled "Live @ The Loft" by a tenor player by the name of Michael Pedicin. I Googled him and found out that CD Baby carried several of his recordings ( https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPedicin1 ), including a couple of ballads CDs. I like spinning ballads at dinner time. So I ordered three CDs.  I've played one of the ballads CDs already and it is excellent.

So thanks Music Choice - you turned me on to a player I've never heard before and likely never would have any other way.

Kevin, search for Pedicin in the New Releases forum!

I bought this at the Cafe OTO web store:

img-1205_page_image.jpg

ANTHONY BRAXTON ZIM MUSIC – THREE DAY RESIDENCY A2 SILKSCREENED POSTER

On occasion of the very special residency by Anthony Braxton we have a screenprinted poster available, designed by Oliver Barrett, printed on thick, quality paper in a limited edition of 100 numbered copies. 

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/shop/anthony-braxton-zim-music-three-day-residency-1/

Recent orders:

Benny Goodman HEP cds:

• CD 1083 - Benny Goodman Plays Fletcher Henderson
  • CD 1059 - Benny Goodman Plays Fletcher Henderson, Vol.2
  • CD 1039 - Benny Goodman Plays Jimmy Mundy
  • CD 1053 - Benny Goodman Plays Eddie Sauter
  • CD 1055 - Benny Goodman Plays Mel Powell

Three Mosaics:

• Savory
  • Woody Herman
  • Teddy Wilson

and 

• Johnny Dodds – On Paramount (Frog) 2CD

6 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Recent orders:

Benny Goodman HEP cds:

• CD 1083 - Benny Goodman Plays Fletcher Henderson
  • CD 1059 - Benny Goodman Plays Fletcher Henderson, Vol.2
  • CD 1039 - Benny Goodman Plays Jimmy Mundy
  • CD 1053 - Benny Goodman Plays Eddie Sauter
  • CD 1055 - Benny Goodman Plays Mel Powell

Three Mosaics:

• Savory
  • Woody Herman
  • Teddy Wilson

and 

• Johnny Dodds – On Paramount (Frog) 2CD

You must have busted this month's budget :g

IMG_0849.JPG

It has been a terribly expensive year for musical acquisitions, fomented by a daunting confluence of magnificent boxes and increasingly deep discoveries for which OOP catalogue prices can accumulate at an alarming rate with just single CDs or LPs.  Recent exploration of the oft fluid punk, post, new wave, alt & mod continuum has precipitated a revaluation of the late 70s/early 80s in general...particularly spawn with (at least some) Brittanic DNA. 

Vaporized

Balanced with considerable attention to the new Szell box, the variegated listening menu has been great fun, if a bit gaudy on the monthly statement. 

5 hours ago, Kate said:

It has been a terribly expensive year for musical acquisitions, fomented by a daunting confluence of magnificent boxes and increasingly deep discoveries for which OOP catalogue prices can accumulate at an alarming rate with just single CDs or LPs.  Recent exploration of the oft fluid punk, post, new wave, alt & mod continuum has precipitated a revaluation of the late 70s/early 80s in general...particularly spawn with (at least some) Brittanic DNA. 

Vaporized

Balanced with considerable attention to the new Szell box, the variegated listening menu has been great fun, if a bit gaudy on the monthly statement. 

Enjoy the music!

I'd like to hear Peregrinations one day. Discogs prices were quite high when I looked not so long ago. Nothing silly but a bit too much for a punt on Chico of an era I'm unsure about. Would love to hear what you make of it.

Edit to add:just found it on YouTube 

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'd like to hear Peregrinations one day. Discogs prices were quite high when I looked not so long ago. Nothing silly but a bit too much for a punt on Chico of an era I'm unsure about. Would love to hear what you make of it.

Edit to add:just found it on YouTube 

Mole Jazz etc. used to be stocked up with cheap cut outs of it, back in the day.

Ordered recently:

Henry Threadgill’s ZOOID: In for a Penny, In for a Pound

today I saw the new multiple CD release on Not Two records, Per Ake Holmlander’s 3 CD large ensemble release: Carliot - It’s Never Too Late Orchestra and I ordered it immediately. Looks like 2 discs of small group breakdowns & the 3rd with the full group. Exciting guests include Steve Swell & Tim Daisy. These Not Two multiple disc mini-boxes if you will have all been pretty great. Sound quality is always incredible and I expect the same here. 

13 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Carliot - It’s Never Too Late Orchestra

Sounds very interesting. I'll take a look.  The Threadgill's great

Edit to add: taken a look. Some very interesting younger players on that set - Kjaer, Hogberg, Santos Silva and others I've not heard of. Very tempting

Edited by mjazzg

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Sounds very interesting. I'll take a look.  The Threadgill's great

Edit to add: taken a look. Some very interesting younger players on that set - Kjaer, Hogberg, Santos Silva and others I've not heard of. Very tempting

Did you get the 5 CD Zlatko Kaucic Box? 

It’s very very good. 2 discs with Evan Parker - one of those discs is an incredible trio with Agusti Fernandez. 

23 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Did you get the 5 CD Zlatko Kaucic Box? 

It’s very very good. 2 discs with Evan Parker - one of those discs is an incredible trio with Agusti Fernandez. 

No, I thought about it and then forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder.

If you don't already know Kjaer and Hoberg's own releases they're worth a look. Kjaer has a Clean Feed trio disc with your favourite British rhythm section

https://cleanfeed-records.com/product/dobbeltgaeenger/