BFT 240 Discussion Thread

Time for Part 2 of the 20th (more or less)  Anniversary BFT featuring original BFT creator @DrJ!

The link Thom provided me only showed 239 tracks when I checked it just now.  But in the meantime here is a WeTransfer link:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/621d499983deba86ee1edc6e648c590d20240229014910/42b367/grid

The link displays the files in "preview" mode so its functionally equivalent to Thom's player - you can listen to each track in its entirety if you choose or you can download and play locally. 

Here is Thom's link which he says should work (you may need to clear cache):

https://thomkeith.net/blindfold-tests/current-tests/

Please comment on tracks using compiler's screen names, e.g. @Dan Gould will alert me that someone has commented on my contribution (and sorry in advance @felser its another not WWFL.  :g:g:g

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, tkeith said:

And, I spoke too soon.  Now I'm only seeing #239.  Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ, I hate WordPress!

Ugh. Well WeTransfer with its preview system is pretty cool for listening in the moment. Your site was and will be again a the Great BFT Archive.

Okay, it seems to be working, now.  Apparently, WordPress has its own special little caching system that overrides even your browser settings.  I'm seeing the updated page steadily in all browsers.  WordPress is dog shit, and people oughta be aware of it.

I used the Wetransfer preview files.  Had to refresh often between cuts, or the audio would not play, but I got through it OK.

@Dan Gould – I actually liked this one fine, nice charts.  ***

@DrJ – Nice to meet you (musically)!   Nice cut.  Not totally sold on the singer, but I like the composition.  And love the piano solo.   ***

Felser – wanted to make my selection a signature statement, and this fills that bill. *****

@JSngry – Really good stuff by seasoned pros.  ****

@Joe – Also really good stuff by seasoned pros!  ****

@Ken Dryden – I know they know what they’re doing, but composition and format lost on me.  * in a fully subjective rating.  I’m sure some others will really dig this.

@medjuk – Love the groove!  ****

@mikeweil – Sounds like they had quite a night when they were in Tunisia!  Though it’s a little hard for me with the non-English lyrics.  Fun cut.  ****

@mjzee – Well done big band chart.  ***

@tkeith – Makes me think of some of the Charlie Haden Liberation Music Orchestra recordings.  If I have the group right, I’ll go back and try to figure out the song.  Excellent stuff, for sure.  My favorite cut on this BFT.   ****

12 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I'm only seeing 10 cuts on either site.  To quote Randy Newman "Maybe I'm doing it wrong."  (I am computer illiterate.)

Joe, 10 cuts is the full test.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Thom - my file is not loaded into the player?

That's what I'm seeing also, that an entry for your file is on Thom's player, but the file itself isn't.  Your file is available in the WeTransfer preview files.

Some good stuff on this one!

@Dan Gould This is from the post-Lyle Mays style of big band writing, which is a good thing. I hear Pete Christlieb on tenor, but as far as soloists, that's it. Definitely sounds like a studio-savvy affair, flawlessly recorded, and as a result you can really hear the densities of the voicings. A long time ago I would have railed againstthis type of thing, but I'm a lot older now and appreciate it very much.

@DrJ Words to "Deluge", eh? Ok then! Singer is a little weak in terms of fullness, but lots of people are and lots of people always have been, so hey. Just a tad sleepy in the overall vibe, but that may just be me today. Some other day it might land just right. No harm, no foul, all good then.

@felser Billy. Sir Gallahad. With The Cookers? Fail-safe!

@Joe Certainly Jimmy Hamilton on tenor and Clark Terry on trumpelhornet, and...Britt Woodman doing that freaky register shifting that he could do? I'm sure this is on a record. A good one!

@JSngry I had a (for me) interesting insight into a tenor player that is not this record vis-a-vis the trumpet player who is on this record.

@Ken Dryden "Just a Sittin' and a Rockin'", pipe organ and alto. Scratch that off the list of things that have never been done!

@medjuck Definitely Fathead, and I'm pretty sure that I have this record and that I like it. But that's all I can think of right now. Always a pleasure to Fathead, Always.

@mikeweil Love the clarity of the recording. Almost love the singer too. Definitely love the overall pocket. A person could live there! Ok, she gets the pitches right on the break and scats from inside the clave. Love the singer now. Yeah, a person could live here!

@mjzee A first I was thinking a Neil Hefti chart for a Woody Herman band, but then the style changed and it got to sounding like Mulligan's pen. Definitely Al Cohn on tenor. Elliot Lawrence, right? That's a fun record.

@tkeith My first/obvious/reflex guess would be Ray Anderson, but I think not. I like the composition a lot, as well as what they do with it, a kind of Ayler dancing thing from start to finish. This might be Brotherhood of Breath tangental, but I am still not realy familiar with all of that (DOH!! on me for that). And that might be Johnny Dyanni on bass (always a pleasure), but I have no idea, really. The trombone has Anderson's chops but is less gonzo-extroverted than him. But maybe this is later work. No matter, I like this a lot. a person could live here too!

33 minutes ago, JSngry said:

@medjuck Definitely Fathead, and I'm pretty sure that I have this record and that I like it. But that's all I can think of right now. Always a pleasure to Fathead, Always.

It is indeed Fathead but I think there's a good chance you don't have this record.  Hint: 2 of the other musicians get equal billing. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

@felser Billy. Sir Gallahad. With The Cookers? Fail-safe!

Not the Cookers, but Harper and George Cables are present.  My comment about the cut being a signature statement was a literal clue 🙂.

Ok, got the files to work!

@Dan Gould I dig the big band and the bass here. No idea who this is though.

@DrJ the band is nice. The singer’s lyrics are like a pep talk I give to my foster dog who’s a scaredy cat on the leash. I’m tempted to put this on headphones for him. No guesses on who this is. 

@felser this comes across like a song from a Tyner Milestone album but I don’t think that’s the case here. I dig the tune. 

@JSngry jeez this sax player oozes feeling. What a voice on that instrument. Trumpet too. This is an excellent tune. Can’t wait to find out who it is.

@Joe this sounds like a Blue Note track and one I should know but damn, no guesses. Great playing. 

@Ken Dryden I respect the hell out church organ players but I really don’t enjoy hearing them that much. To do what this person is doing takes some real skill. But like Richard Pryor used to joke, that organ makes me think Dracula’s going to jump out from the corner any second. 

@medjuck love the tune. No guesses but impressive stuff. 

@mikeweil night in Tunisia (doh! Not caravan lol) but no guesses on the players. I dig the breakdown with drums, piano and percussion. Definitely my favorite part of this track. 

@mjzee another good big band track on this BFT. No ideas here but I enjoyed listening to it.

@tkeith the violin is a nice touch. I like what they’re all doing and this is a good listen. Wish I knew enough to guess who this is. 

Thanks guys! 

Edited by Dub Modal

41 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, the OG one then 

Indeed.

4 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

@felser this comes across like a song from a Tyner Milestone album but I don’t think that’s the case here. I dig the tune.

Not Tyner and not Milestone.  ID'd by Jim.

46 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah. But with a different drummer and Ray Anderson added. Also a lot more produced.

Not really a literal sequel, except in title. 

Well, different drummer makes all the difference.

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

@Dan Gould

@DrJ

@JSngry jeez this sax player oozes feeling. What a voice on that instrument. Trumpet too. This is an excellent tune. Can’t wait to find out who it is.

@Joe

@Ken Dryden
@medjuck

@mikeweil

@mjzee

@tkeith

You'll know the names, and quite possibly some of their work. But if this inspires you to go a little further with them, mission accomplished! 

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah. But with a different drummer and Ray Anderson added. Also a lot more produced.

Not really a literal sequel, except in title. 

Cut 4 from this is what we are discussing then.  I have never checked out that album - my bad I guess?  Easily remedied on the used market.