Rhythm sections with a life of their own

What are some good examples of rhythm sections (bass and drums, with or without piano, organ, and guitar) that, without being conceived of as their own groups, took on a life of their own as self contained units, and played across their own and various leaders' albums?

Two, rather obvious examples:

"The Rhythm Section" of pianist Red Garland, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Philly Joe Jones. The piano trio from Miles Davis' First Quintet, which was then hired out for various other dates, most noticably the Art Pepper one.

"The Magic Triangle" of pianist Cedar Walton, bassist Sam Jones and drummer Billy Higgins, which played across numerous bop records of the 1970s.

Slightly more obscure, but also a piano trio:

Pianist Steve Kuhn, bassist Steve Swallow and drummer Pete La Roca, which played on Art Farmer's Sing Me Softly, Pete La Roca's own Basra, and Kuhn's own Three Waves, in a highly distinctive fashion.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Fritz Pauer (p) + Jimmy Woode (b) + Erich Bachträgl (dr) ....

Also, Boland / Woode / Clark, which would later become the heart of the BCBB.

37 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Edwards/Noble

Drake/Parker

Edwards/Sanders

Basically a list of the musicians whom I have seen play live the most.

42 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

John Patton/Grant Green/Bill Dixon

Did they work for others? 

One that's just occured to me is what I sometimes see as the Blue Note 'back up' piano trio of Horace Parlan, George Tucker and Al Harewood, who played on many of the tougher sounding Blue Note releases of the 1960s, along with various Parlan-led dates.

42 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Jacki Byard/Richard Davis/Allen Dawson

This is exactly what I had in mind. Behind everyone from Booker Ervin to Eric Kloss.

Edited by Rabshakeh

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:
4 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

John Patton/Grant Green/Bill Dixon

Did they work for others? 

Yes, Lou Donaldson, Don Wilkerson, also Patton albums with and without added horns.

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

"The Rhythm Section" of pianist Red Garland, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Philly Joe Jones. The piano trio from Miles Davis' First Quintet, which was then hired out for various other dates, most noticably the Art Pepper one.

Yes, but the Red Garland trio albums on Prestige had Art Taylor drumming instead of Philly Joe.

52 minutes ago, John L said:

Count Basie, Freddie Green, Walter Page, Jo Jones

The winner and still champion!  I remember Milt Hinton, Osie Johnson and Barry Galbraith being the New York go-to rhythm section.  (Often with Hank Jones?)

26 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Horace Parlan (p) + George Tucker (b) + Al Harewood (dr) ....

I realized I never posted this one. Blue Note's go to rhythm section for grittier hard bop records.

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Brandon Lopez/Gerald Cleaver

Mark Dresser/Gerry Hemingway 

Barry Guy/Paul Lytton

These are great. Along with Drake / Parker, who you mention up-thread, these cover half my record collection. 

Did Holland / Altschul play with others other than Braxton?