Ted Daniel Quintet - Tapestry

Pim

Listening to this one now trough Spotify and I am fascinated by it. Sound is pretty bad. Does anyone know if the 2008 cd reissue was an improvement over the original LP?

For those unfamiliar with it: it’s with Jerome Cooper, Khan Jamal and some lesser know but excellent musicians:

Edited by Pim

I have that 2008 Porter CD and consider the sound pretty decent. Granted I'm not an audiophile, and Ted Daniel didn't record for big-budget labels so expectations have to be managed. I never heard the original release. It's an excellent album.

I have quite a few Ted Daniel CDs. In my experience, the ones on Ujamaa with the black covers (I own the "Sextet" and "Loft Years" but not the solo release from Italy) have dodgy, even outright bad sound but others are OK.

Edited by T.D.

Ujamaa is Ted's own label. I'm sure the source tapes aren't always pristine. The extra tracks on Sextet make it a worthwhile pickup, in addition to the original LP (which is still reasonably priced according to Discogs).

I have the Sun LP of Tapestry and the sound is far from crisp, but it is a very cool record.

Okay thanks guys. Really like what I am hearing and bad sound isn’t a show stopper for me but like to hear it in the best way possible at least. Khan Jamal is also on fire in this one

8 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ujamaa is Ted's own label. I'm sure the source tapes aren't always pristine. The extra tracks on Sextet make it a worthwhile pickup, in addition to the original LP (which is still reasonably priced according to Discogs).

I have the Sun LP of Tapestry and the sound is far from crisp, but it is a very cool record.

Yes, Sextet is very good despite rather distant sound quality due to source tapes. The Loft Years impresses me less despite high expectations, but I'll spin it again soon. Probably should pick up the Solo...Italy album but some other things took priority recently.

In the Beginning is good if you can find it. Ted Daniel is on some recommendable "Andrew Cyrille's Maono" albums.

Edited by T.D.