Third-Rate Actor Tears Down Mid-Century Masterpiece to Build McMansion

5 hours ago, sonnymax said:

That's rich coming from a guy that thinks William Shatner is a music artist.

The long-forgotten pop group the Beatles did a nice cover of Shatner's classic "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" composition.

Edited by felser

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

A country with a comparably short cultural history is unable to preserve parts of the forementioned .... some countries are able (and willing) to maintain monumental protection/urban heritage conservation ....

There is some conservation going on here. Many years ago, I went to look at a home for sale in Newburyport, MA. It was deemed "historic" so the buyer could not change the exterior of the building, particularly the front facade. It was fairly inexpensive for the area, so we went to take a peek. We found out why it was cheap. The current owner was trying to update it without affecting the historic aspects and it was so expensive that they ran out of money. The dining room had no floor because after they removed some rotting wood they found foundation/structural problems and to fix that, they would have had to red-do the side of the building. The town wouldn't give them the permit.

Old isn't always better and it's often expensive to keep it looking that way.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Take comfort in the likelihood that at some point in time, some other rich person of no permanentant significance will buy the now-new McMansion, tear it down, and build a brand new replica of the house that used to be there.

They will be hailed as a savior of culture for a day or two and then life will go on.

26 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

There is some conservation going on here. Many years ago, I went to look at a home for sale in Newburyport, MA. It was deemed "historic" so the buyer could not change the exterior of the building, particularly the front facade. It fairly inexpensive for the area, so we went to take a peek. We found out why it was cheap. The current owner was trying to update it without affecting the historic aspects and it was so expensive that they ran out of money. The dining room had no floor because after they removed some rotting wood they found foundation/structural problems and to fix that, they would have had to red-do the side of the building. The town wouldn't give them the permit.

Old isn't always better and it's often expensive to keep it looking that way.

Monumental protection/urban heritage conservation is alwas costly, full of restricitions and therefore often problematic .... at least @ Europe there seems to be in general a common understanding about cultural assets worth protecting .... btw @ Austria there are also private initiatives to cover the cost (collections for maintaing old churches etc) .... 

P.S Modern architecture (aka buildings from 1900 onwards) seem to be a own topic and also here some interesting buildings worth preserving were either demolished or "destroyed by renovation" ....

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Take comfort in the likelihood that at some point in time, some other rich person of no permanentant significance will buy the now-new McMansion, tear it down, and build a brand new replica of the house that used to be there.

Too bad this didn't happen with Penn Station.

Not enough centuries have passed.

35 minutes ago, soulpope said:

... at least @ Europe there seems to be in general a common understanding about cultural assets worth protecting ....

And at some point, old shit just dies and the culture becomes about preserving the death.

5 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I'm sure they're huge, but I don't know anyone who watches that kind of kitsch. If they do, they certainly don't bring it up in my presence.  

Are you sure about that? In the United States, around 54 percent of adults aged 18 to 34 have seen one or more Marvel movies. It's the highest grossing film franchise of all time. And Guardians of the Galaxy 4? That film won't be released until Spring 2027 at the earliest.

I'm not saying Pratt is a great actor, but I thinks he's pretty good in his chosen field of action-hero movies. And I like the fact that he has the means to build a home close to his family.

Seacrest OUT!

Edited by sonnymax

23 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

This is happening where I live and I see the same arguments on Facebook. "How can they tear down such a historic house?" But when it's pointed out that the house went up for sale and no one talked about buying it to preserve it, they all shut up quickly. Everyone's for preservation until someone asks you for money.

There was one tiny house by the beach that caused a lot of angst. This place was tiny - a 2-story ugly box that was maybe 1,100 sq.ft. It had 4 tiny 9 x 9 bedrooms on the 2nd floor and a single bathroom on the 1st floor. Fun! It reportedly had some old knob & tube wiring. Double fun! The new owners bought it for $2.2 Million and went for approval to tear it down. People asked the town to stop them. Yet, diagonally across the street, another, similar building was torn down and replaced with a modern beach house without a peep from anyone. The town knew they couldn't do anything about it so it got torn down. The mansion that's there now looks pretty good,  better than the old house in my opinion.

Old isn't always better.

I think I saw a related news story, a year or two ago(?) but forget the name of the town. Got a lot of media attention.

On 4/24/2024 at 9:16 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

Yeah, maybe I was a little harsh. I'll be sure to check out Guardians of the Galaxy 4 and Super Mario Brothers when they come to the Criterion Channel. 😹

😁

Like Jim I knew the bandmember of Mouse Rat from Parks and Wildlife years ago.

"Location, Location, Location." I don't know how many vacant or parking lots there are, but there wasn't one apparently where Pratt wanted to be. And if you have money (he does, even after a divorce from Anna Farris) and you're a star "they just let you do it."

I mean, the Mario movie was fun. Nothing wrong with fun.

The whole Marvel thing, I'm not a fan of all of that, but Wandavision on Disney+ was highly entertaining. So was Loki. People are doing good work telling these type of stories.

I think the "complaint" against all of it isn't that it's poor quality, it's just that it's all that "Hollywood" wants to do these days, and no money is offered for more offbeat projects. And that might well be a legit beef. Probably is.

44 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Like Jim I knew the bandmember of Mouse Rat from Parks and Wildlife years ago.

"Location, Location, Location." I don't know how many vacant or parking lots there are, but there wasn't one apparently where Pratt wanted to be. And if you have money (he does, even after a divorce from Anna Farris) and you're a star "they just let you do it."

Parks and Recreation? Yes, very good show.

Did you know that Erin Ellwood's mother was Gloria Henry?

That makes her related to Dennis The Menace!!!!

Oh btw - Erin Ellwood says to chill, that this house was an early example of her dad's work, hardly the "masterpiece" that is being bemoaned here.

Still, she wishes the whole thing could have been handled a bit more elegantly.

Add that one to the list...