Ethnic Heritage Ensemble & Kahil El' Zabar

tranemonk

I saw them live decades ago and was blown away. It felt very spiritual. I had kind of forgotten about them/him for a long time until recently. I've been listening a lot lately and can't understand why he doesn't get much more attention and praise. They are planning a 50th anniversary tour and I'm hoping they end up stopping here in Boston. Why don't they get the same love Charles Lloyd does, with his "spiritual jazz?"

https://downbeat.com/news/detail/kahil-elzabar-celebrating-the-ethnic-heritage-ensemble-at-50

Edited by tranemonk
Added link

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Their first album, from 1981, is still my favorite.

My01NzE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

But I like them all. I do prefer the earlier ones, thoguh. But yeah, I'd go see them, no question.

Good luck finding that one. 😎

More recently A Time For Healing is pretty good.

Edited by jlhoots

El'Zabar seems to be going through a moment.

He's passed through London with various groups over the last year or two, selling out prestige venues like Ronnie's or the newer Church or Sound.

My wife loves his stuff so we go and see him whenever we can. 

Perhaps a bit inconsistent on record. The amazing experience of watching El'Zabar drum live doesn't always come across when listening at home.

I like those early EHE records a lot.

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

He's passed through London with various groups over the last year or two, selling out prestige venues like Ronnie's or the newer Church or Sound.

Perhaps a bit inconsistent on record. The amazing experience of watching El'Zabar drum live doesn't always come across when listening at home.

And the venues are getting bigger, Union Chapel this month.  I think a lot of the current exposure here in the UK is down to him being on a UK label.

Also to the comparison with Lloyd, whilst he's been on ECM and Blue Note El'Zabar has releases on Denmark and Spiritmuse.

Edited by mjazzg

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

And the venues are getting bigger, Union Chapel this month.  I think a lot of the current exposure here in the UK is down to him being on a UK label.

Also to the comparison with Lloyd, whilst he's be on ECM and Blue Note El'Zabar has releases on Denmark and Spiritmuse.

Thanks for letting me know. I had missed that!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I just wish that more of that moment was in the US and I agree 100% with you..... Whenever I saw them (had to be in the early 90s) it was fantastic. If I can remember a show I saw 30+ years ago... then it was either fantastic or a complete sh**show.

Edited by tranemonk
Grammar

4 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

I just wish that more of that moment was in the US and I agree 100% with you..... Whenever I saw them (had to be in the early 90s) it was fantastic. If I can remember a show I saw 30+ years ago... then it was either fantastic or a complete sh**show.

Yeah, I saw El'Zabar duet with David Murray in 1990 and that concert still sticks in the memory as very good

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I was excited to see him here in DC a few months ago.   I went online to reserve tickets the day before and was surprised to see that they were all sold out.  I regretted missing him this time but felt happy for his success.  

25 minutes ago, John L said:

I was excited to see him here in DC a few months ago.   I went online to reserve tickets the day before and was surprised to see that they were all sold out.  I regretted missing him this time but felt happy for his success.  

Didn’t even know he was here in DC — out of curiosity, what was venue?

Interesting that his profile is rising like that in the UK. He is gradually moving to the front of pack, at a late stage in his life. I just assumed that was the case in the US too.

He's playing with Corey Wilkes and Alex Harding at the Union Chapel, so that will be enjoyable too. I like Harding a lot: very satisfying and soulful stuff, although I find the 'twitching' a little distracting.

7 hours ago, walt said:

I dig "Welcome"(Leo records.1984),with Kalaparusha guesting on tenor sax.Top shelf music.

15 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Good luck finding that one. 😎

Same here. But worth the hunt

7 hours ago, walt said:

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Still believe "Impressions" (Red Records) from 1982 was their finest hour ....

One of their best for sure.

I still put the whole run with Edward Wilkerson in a class by themself. Wilkerson is always a differentiator!