David Sanborn R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

Mid-70s, I met a dude who worked at the Dallas Peaches who came up with Sanborn in St. Louis. I got snarky about Sanborn and this guy set me straight, telling me how Sanborn used to shed with Oliver Lake, just working on sound and altissimo. 

Between Oliver Lake, Hank Crawford, and Stevie Wonder's harmonica playing...there you go. No need for bebop, there's something to do for yourself.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Sanborn on several of his later tours when he came back to straight ahead jazz after making his fortune on the smooth side. They were all very good shows. I tried to interact with him the first time I saw him at TCAN in Natick MA and he gave me a shoulder as he booked it out of there. I guess big shots from the smooth jazz world don't have any time for the fans? :) I saw him a couple more times at Scullers, I think both of those times were with Joey DeFrancesco on organ. Joey seemed to push him pretty hard.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

R.I.P

I enjoyed Sanborn on Hutcherson's Enjoy the View, as well as the occasional appearance with John McLaughlin.  Not the kind of guy who would be discussed much on these boards, but he had jazz credentials.  

I'm guessing he was ill for some time, as I don't think he released a record in the past 10 years.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Mid-70s, I met a dude who worked at the Dallas Peaches who came up with Sanborn in St. Louis. I got snarky about Sanborn and this guy set me straight, telling me how Sanborn used to shed with Oliver Lake, just working on sound and altissimo. 

Between Oliver Lake, Hank Crawford, and Stevie Wonder's harmonica playing...there you go. No need for bebop, there's something to do for yourself.

this whole episode-- though one pick numerous others-- shows Sanborn's great range and empathy. Hard to criticize his solo career choices when he did so much for others also; getting paid for it, granted, but not just... Interesting to note / compare Hiram Bullock with Sanborn (tv, live, record) with Bullock's work with Carla Bley too.

(this also instructive for those (mostly white) people who (still) patronize Stevie Ray Vaughan, watch him kill it himself not just with Night Music band but as sideman on closing "Sailin' Shoes"

also with Wayne Shorter, Carlos Santana

also with some trumpet player excelling with mute and mullet both

Worth noting that Gil never went back to a bebop altoist after Sanborn. 

Chris Hunter was in there to the end and whatever his did with anybody else, with Gil he played what could probably called The Sanborn Chair.

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

It's shocking to me that he's gone, even though I suppose it shouldn't be. 

I realize that he was 78 -- but, in my mind's eye, he's still a young guy.

R.I.P.

I had exactly the same reaction, and then I realized he was only a few years older than I am. Gulp. I think he did fine work introducing people to the music who might not otherwise have experienced it.  RIP.

Edited by gmonahan

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

IIRC He's also with Gil in the Royal Albert Hall concerts (Or is it the Queen Elizabeth Hall?).  

Just looked it up.  It's the Royal Festival Hall.  (I had it wrong on the cd I made from the 2 Lps that were issued. )

5 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Haven't noticed mention of this one (I have an expanded issue with 10 tracks) -

515fpFra-pL.jpg

I bought the LP new, and cried tears on joy when that Bluebird CD came out that included greatly expanded versions of some of the cuts. Same one?

Ok then, that's the same as the Bluebird CD, only it adds the two short jam excerpts that end each side of the LP.

It's radically different enough that it would not be wrong to issue a double set, one of the LP + one of the revised Bluebird album.

The US cd  has only 8 cuts.  Little Wing is on the US cd of "Plays Jimi Hendrix" but "Aftermath of the 4th Movement...." was  issued in the US  on a single cd that contained works by both Gil and Mingus!    And if Chuck's Discogs  listing is  correct the French version of "Comes a Time" is nearly 2 minutes longer than the US version! (Is that from the original Lp?)  Chuck would you mind checking if it is correct?  If it is, I'll have to get it because I'm an insane Gil Evans completist.  (Yes I have the Johnny Mathis record with a few of his arrangements.)  

Edited by medjuck

Thanks Chuck.  Looking at the photo on Jim's post it seem that the US cd has an edited version of the Lp cut. In fact it looks like the French version is the US Lp version plus the 3 cuts on the US cd that were previously unreleased, but with the US cd version (a longer one) of The Meaning of the Blues.   (I just noticed that the US cd says that the omission of Aftermath, the editing of Comes A Time and the lengthening of Meaning of the Blues as well as the remix of the whole Lp were all done under Gil's supervision.  

Was the cd released at the time RCA was doing some double Lp/single cd releases where the cd dropped a couple of cuts? 

Edited by medjuck

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sanborn/Schneider/Gil

This gets kind of intense before it's over.

Know the lyrics and the meaning both, then sing it.

How'd you find this and is more of this concert out there?

20 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

The collective personnel on "Another Hand" is Sanborn plus;

Leon Pendarvis – organ (2)
Terry Adams – acoustic piano (3, 4, 7, 😎
Mulgrew Miller – acoustic piano (5, 10)
Bill Frisell – guitars (1, 2, 7), acoustic guitar (6), electric guitar (9)
Marc Ribot – guitars (3, 7, 8), electric guitar (6), acoustic guitar (9)
Al Anderson – guitars (4)
Dave Tronzo – acoustic guitar (6), guitars (7, 😎
Charlie Haden – bass (1, 2, 6, 9)
Greg Cohen – bass (3, 4, 7, 8), arco bass (9), arrangements (9)
Marcus Miller – bass guitar (5, 10)
Joey Baron – drums (1, 2, 3, 6–9)
Steve Jordan – drums (4)
Jack DeJohnette – drums (5, 10)
Don Alias – percussion (2, 3, 4, 6–9)
Lenny Pickett – tenor saxophone (2), horn arrangements (2), contrabass clarinet (9), E flat clarinet (9)
Art Baron – trombone (2, 9), bass trombone (9)
Syd Straw – vocals (4, 6)Charlie Haden,

Thanks Mark!

12 minutes ago, medjuck said:

How'd you find this and is more of this concert out there?

I just Googled "Sanborn Gil Evans" and then filtered for videos. This was in there.

As for more, probably so. The poster says that they got it from " a website that no longer exists", which no doubt means a blog. The odds of there being just that one track being recorded strike me as being quite remote.