Don Byron making a trio record

ghost of miles

This may be a tribute also to the Benny Goodman trios of the 1940s and 1950s on Caitol with Teddy Wilson, Mel Powell, or Jimmy Rowles, and a number of different drummers whose names I cannot recall. The single CD of these trio dates put out by Blue Note is a very very nice one. I too am intrigued by this upcoming CD.

The Byron trio (with Moran and Billy Hart) played the Austrian Saalfelden Jazzfestival this weekend. Heard a couple of tracks on radio, and I quite like it. Pity though that Moran did get quite less solo space than Byron.

Did they play stuff from "In A Silent Way"? I was half asleep when I heard this on the radio.

I know they played "In a Silent Way" at their Vanguard stand last winter (w/Billy Hart) and it will be on the new CD (w/ Jack deJohnette).

Plenty of Jason Moran soloing at that Vanguard gig (maybe the radio guy was partial to Don's playing -- like I am -- and maybe even ubu on this occasion, since, as you said, "I quite liked his playing in this setting. Loose and swinging...")

The Byron trio (with Moran and Billy Hart) played the Austrian Saalfelden Jazzfestival this weekend. Heard a couple of tracks on radio, and I quite like it. Pity though that Moran did get quite less solo space than Byron.

Did they play stuff from "In A Silent Way"? I was half asleep when I heard this on the radio.

I know they played "In a Silent Way" at their Vanguard stand last winter (w/Billy Hart) and it will be on the new CD (w/ Jack deJohnette).

Plenty of Jason Moran soloing at that Vanguard gig (maybe the radio guy was partial to Don's playing -- like I am -- and maybe even ubu on this occasion, since, as you said, "I quite liked his playing in this setting. Loose and swinging...")

Yes, they played "In A Silent Way" - and the strange chap that did the moderation said it was a Miles composition... why have those Ö1 guys to be so talkative? I'd love it if they could just keep their mouth shut WHILE there's still or already music being played - even more so as these programmes were NOT done live, but taking place several hours later... End of rant.

Had a listen to another Byron trio track (played on Sunday, during the 5pm-6pm slot), and I think Byron was playing very sloppy. Those other tracks, I wasn't half asleep, but not too attentive anymore, either, and I didn't take notice of it, but it seems that Byron does not only have a rough tone, but also some serious fingering problems. Definitively unwanted ghost-notes (I'd be outright enough to call them "errors"), and generally bad tonguing. But then he's got fast fingers etc, tries to do the virtuoso stuff, but somehow... It seems that he tries to play faster and flashier than his technique allows.

(Now forgive me these harsh sentences, but I attempted to play the clarinet for many years, also thought about going to conservatory etc, but then decided to go to university instead... and changed to saxophone, but haven't nearly as much time to practise and play as I'd wish I had...)

ubu

ubu, don't be so harsh to that strange Ö1 chap. I just received recordings of the Byron and the Steve Coleman shows and there's no talking through the music; Byron announced "In A Silent Way", the Ö1 chap didn't. Admit it, you were fully asleep!

I know he didn't talk during the 5 elements... sorry for stating he did the miles mistake, though. The problem with five elements, though, is that there's some otehr odd chap doing waaaaaaay too much talking! Not sure I like it, yet. Would rather have liked to hear either all of the Byron, or all of the Lloyd (but I guess they'll come around doing that later on).

ubu

ubu, don't be so harsh to that strange Ö1 chap. I just received recordings of the Byron and the Steve Coleman shows and there's no talking through the music; Byron announced "In A Silent Way", the Ö1 chap didn't. Admit it, you were fully asleep!

And he did talk during the Cuong Vu excerpts he broadcasted on Sunday afternoon... :rmad:

The French do that all the time, too ( :rmad: ), well at least the guy who does the France Musiques programmes on jazz. Announcing musicians or whatever during applause, and then not shutting up in time when the next tune starts. Sucks! Though I'm maybe spoiled, as I had no access to any foreign stations until recently, and the Swiss always keep their mouths shut when the music's on. They even let you hear a full round of applause and stage chatter, doing it the atmospheric way, when they're live on the air.

end of rant.

And in case: no i don't hate the French, I adore them, in spite of that stange chap. Couldn't say the same about Austria in general... (saw some live parliament again today... killing!)

ubu

A writer friend lent me an advance of this with press release. It claims to have been influenced by the Lester Young record with Nat King Cole and Buddy Rich. This record is a mess, all over the place. The "Lester Young" material is boring and shows that Byron is an average be-bop player (yes it's updated to the point where he plays bebop licks on standards). I guess they decided they couldn't do a whole record of that so they threw in Freddie Freeloader and A Silent Way (A Silent Way according to Byron in the press release is where he hears Lester's influence the most) Byron also plays tenor sax a little (quite unremarkable). There are two Byron originals that are great however and if he made a record of this stuff, I'd be happy to own it. It seem out of place on a Lester Young tribute record though. I have no idea why he did this record.

• 4 weeks later...

According to the recent Jazz times magazine (this magazine really bugs me---I don't know why I ever buy it, but that's another story. The reviews are generally written at the high school sophmore level, "his playing is as soft as butter on this delectable CD..") anyway, it's a Lester Young phrase that implies learning to deal with life and transcend the times no matter how tough things may be.

Don Byron used to make good records

last one I heard was the quartet date with Dejohnette, I think - I sold it or traded it in soon after I bought it - and I hated the silly retro music - was it called Bug Music or something like that? just horrendous

awful - a real snoozefest

he also used to play a great baritone sax - his playing on Gerry Hemingway's tremendous 1989 quintet recording "Special Detail" is nothing short of amazing

The one Byron CD that I've always been a big fan of is 'Introducing the Fo'tet' from about 1989/90. That one hangs together as an advanced BN session extremely well !

The 'Music of Mickey Katz' CD also sounded pretty interesting too, although I haven't got a copy of that.

Saw Byron live one time with Bill Frisell and Ralph Peterson (they were doing the 'Music For Six Musicians' and 'Tuskeegee' material). Very impressive, exploratory stuff. Particularly 'Tuskeegee'.

Jazzwise magazine is offering a free BN CD for new subscriptions, with the Byron listed as an option, so I may just give this one a go.

Edited by sidewinder

The one Byron CD that I've always been a big fan of is 'Introducing the Fo'tet' from about 1989/90. That one hangs together as an advanced BN session extremely well !

Ralph Peterson is actually the leader on that date. That was also my introduction to Byron and a great recording, as well as the followup, Ornetteology. They recently released a new recording on Criss Cross.

I am a big fan of Byron's music - in particular the Music For Six Musicians group.

...and Jack DeJohnette who is playing lights out these days. His solo on Jarrett's new one during "Love for Sale," the Byron, the new Alice Coltrane and the ECM records he did with John Surman over the last few years are great examples of most musical drumming.

Moran just about brings "Freddie Freeloader" to standstill during his solo. Anyone catch that on the new Byron? The previous Blue Note with DeJohnette and Frisell was hipper than an instant giveaway -- I think Dave Holland's composition "Homecoming" gets a treatment that deserves attention (though I don't have the disc in front of me, and it has been some time since I heard it, there's an 11 minute or so piece on that one that was kickin' it).

Bug Music is based on that charming John Kirby shit, so if you don't like that cuty pie perfection to begin with a "re-make" isn't going to do much for you either, really.

Until I saw an ad slick for "Ivey Divey" I wasn't aware that it was based on a Lester Young recording. Never had the Young/Cole/Rich music in the original package.

The previous Blue Note with DeJohnette and Frisell was hipper than an instant giveaway -- I think Dave Holland's composition "Homecoming" gets a treatment that deserves attention (though I don't have the disc in front of me, and it has been some time since I heard it, there's an 11 minute or so piece on that one that was kickin' it).

You mean Romance With the Unseen?

No Dave Holland piece on there, but Don Byron's composition, "The Homegoing" (African American term for a funeral service) which is also on Ralph Peterson Presents the Fo'tet as "Homegoing (for Lee Morgan)."

A beautiful composition.