Anyone rushing out to but this one?

Hardbopjazz

Back when I used to managed a music department, I used to fantasize about eliminating ALL of the so-called "genres" and alphabetizing EVERYTHING by artist name. It's music. For what it's worth, I think it's good music. Remember what Ellington said about there being only two kinds of music: Good music and the other kind.

That's how Waterloo Records in Austin, Texas used to do it. Lon can probably verify if they still do.

I'm sure they still do; it's their shtick.

I actually don't prefer it and it is one of several reasons why I don't shop there with any frequency at all.

I agree with Lon. Unless the store offered significantly lower prices, I'd not shop there either. I believe we DO need division of genres in the stores. I don't want to have to dig past Brooks & Dunn and Garth Brooks to, hopefully, find something by Tina Brooks.

I think I agree in principal, but I have also been in stores where I will find things in other sections where I don't think they belong. I've found Anouar Brahem in new age, Bireli Lagrene in world music, and a few different hispanic jazz musicians in the Latin section of stores.

It is certainly a hassle to flip past stuff you aren't interested in, but most stores don't seem to really care about what goes where, IMO, so if you don't check out the other sections, you may be missing out on some jazz you're actually looking for.

I've also found things at Waterloo from time to time that I haven't found elsewhere, especially compared to what's available here in Corpus.

Edited by Aggie87

Interesting discussion.

Haven't decided yet whether to get this.

Nice to see her do a Chris Smither tune (Love Me Like A Man).

This was a big hit for Bonnie Raitt years ago.

When I heard Chris recently he said the royalties were huge.

Maybe this will do it all over again for him.

A coworker bought this album and gave it to me to listen to over lunch today. In a word....underwhelmed.

I like most Diana Krall to some extent. This is probably my least favorite so far. I'm fairly sure that repeated listenings won't change my opinion. Oh, well. As we say in Chicago, wait until next year...

Haven't heard anything from this. I'll have to wait until someone I know has a copy or else check it out beforehand at the store. This is definitely not a pre-order item for me.

I have to strongly - nay, vehemently - disagree about Krall's rendition of Joni Mitchell's A Case Of You. I saw her do this on the Joni TV tribute and found it appallingly bad. Completely void of emotion - real emotion - there was all too much pseudo-emotion. One of the worst moments of the entire show. It makes me cringe just to think about it. If you really want to hear that tune, listen to Joni's own recent re-interpretation of it.

I enjoyed seeing DK live when she was doing Nat Cole stuff. Good trio, tasty playing, nice singing. But her ballad stuff just does not work for me. She seems fake, like she's going through the motions but there isn't any depth behind it.

I am a fan of Costello, for the most part, though he certainly isn't infallible. I think he has an inflated sense of his abilities.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the verdict is in for me after a few listens. There's definitely a "Costello touch" to this puppy that for some reason I find distracting rather than interesting. Krall shows more emotion with her lyrics than I've ever heard before, and a couple of her piano solos are interesting. But over all, I think Sundog nailed it with "underwhelmed". Add disappointed to my reaction. While a couple of songs strike me as interesting, and I definitely prefer it musically over the overly "LiPuma-ized" string extravaganzas, the disc boils down to a lot of nice work lacking in any soul. I think I'll be leaving the Krall purchases up to the wife from now on... :(