October 2004 Connoisseur Release (Proposed)

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a GREAT list of Conns...I'm always amazed at the reactions to the Conn lists, they always make me happy! Very cool that DANCE WITH DEATH will finally get a decent remastering - and I think it's underrated by many around here, a very fine album although more in the darkly hued, subdued Andrew Hill bag so takes a while to grow on you.

Fantastic about the Hutcherson, too - NOW is pretty good and the bonus tracks are likely to be worth checking out. GREAT!

Is it "Capricorian" or Capricornian?

Finally, my favorite Rivers Blue Note on disc! The Mosaic version of this album is like going to the dentist. Some of Freddie Hubbard's most inspired playing in my book.

Just listened to the Young session on the Mosaic yesterday. Will probably make the "upgrade" on that one — a fine date, with Eddie Gale more than making up for any of the stock licks Spaulding throws out there.

Nice to see a change from the usual Morgan and Mobley picks.

The other one that doesn't appear to be on the BN re-issue fast track is the Harold Land. This thing is the dictionary definition of hideous. I'd even take a photo of the underside of a boot over this thing! I'm almost embarrassed to have it in the house...the neighbors have even started to whisper and laugh when I drive by! B) There's gotta be something decent out there on someone's drawing board? :g:w

Weizen, I've done a very nice cover to "Take Aim". I think it came out nice. I used this picture of Land from a web site:

land.jpg

I tinted it green and used a yellow font for Land's name. It looks OK but I bet couw could do a better job. I have it at home on the PC. I'll post it tonight.

BTW, this picture looks like it came from the photo shoot for Land's "Harold In The Land of Jazz":

f70106zhvt1.jpg

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

The other one that doesn't appear to be on the BN re-issue fast track is the Harold Land.  This thing is the dictionary definition of hideous.  I'd even take a photo of the underside of a boot over this thing!  I'm almost embarrassed to have it in the house...the neighbors have even started to whisper and laugh when I drive by!  B)  There's gotta be something decent out there on someone's drawing board?  :g  :w

I don't really know anyone will be interested in this, but here's one for you.

Edited by AfricaBrass

Now I am going to sulk. How did you guys end up with Take Aim and i did not. I bagged the Booker Ervin and Andrew Hill a while ago but never got the Harold Land

Any help until it gets reissued?

No, because on April 1st, you cruelly pulled a fast one on us and said that it was on the re-issue list!!!! :P

I'll talk to the engineer who's credited (on Kevin's mock jewel insert) with the outstanding digital transfer....and put in a good word for you. B)

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

You naughty sausage!

I forgot all about that!!!

:D

What more could I do , April the 1st was there, no Mosaic reissues annoucement of all Andrew Hills rare pieces, no Blue Train Volume 2. Maybe I got a bit carried away -_-

I apologise especially to those people with engineer expertise and or cd burners!

;)

Let me know if there is a penance that I can pay for my April Foolery!

I'll talk to the engineer who's credited (on Kevin's mock jewel insert) with the outstanding digital transfer....and put in a good word for you. B)

Oooo, I did leave that there, didn't I? I wonder if the transfer engineer would rather I take this down? Since you caught it, Weizen, what do you think? Should I take it down?

BTW, I have this as a Power Point file if anyone's interested. It cuts up nicely and fits like a charm.

Funny thing is, I was just putting the finishing touches on a "Dance With Death" cover before this announcement.

Later,

Kevin

I'll talk to the engineer who's credited (on Kevin's mock jewel insert) with the outstanding digital transfer....and put in a good word for you.  B)

Oooo, I did leave that there, didn't I? I wonder if the transfer engineer would rather I take this down? Since you caught it, Weizen, what do you think? Should I take it down?

BTW, I have this as a Power Point file if anyone's interested. It cuts up nicely and fits like a charm.

Funny thing is, I was just putting the finishing touches on a "Dance With Death" cover before this announcement.

Later,

Kevin

Its a raid ..............run they are coming . It sthe RIAA :excited:

Now don't tease either of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget that stuck-up old dude.

If you want Booker covers to get attention you need to make something like this into something like "Booker Fever"

724358419320.jpg

Like the Sinatra choices, they already own the rights to the cover art. . . .That's gotta save a few reissue dollars!

I'm still looking for the 12" of this (LP not needed but would be a bonus). Actually I want a whole crate of them - I can decorate my Office.

BTW I love those mock-up covers - keep them coming!

Edited by David Ayers