All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. This year in Japan there will be a large De Chirico exhibition in Tokyo and Kobe, and I am looking forward to seeing "The Seer", famous for Thelonious Monk's "Misterioso" jacket cover; every time I go to NYC I visit MoMA, where it is housed, but I have not yet to see the actual piece.
  3. Today
  4. I splurged and got the new re-pressing of the Thelonious Monk “Tenor” albums 7 LP box set from Analogue Productions. I had sold a few things, and bought it on impulse. I didn’t have any audiophile versions of these albums and had not listened to them (in the Complete Riverside Recordings cd box set) for some time. . . maybe I should not have, but there you go. Listening to the first LP, “Brilliant Corners,” which is here in the mono mix. Sounds great with my current phono set up. Mastering by Kevin Gray and the pressing are excellent. I broke my rule about spending money on new LP reissues, but I always wanted this when it was first released on either LP or cd and couldn’t afford it then. . . I sortof can now. 800×786 85.2 KB
  5. Me too. Still remember a great show at the Whitechapel must be 25 plus years ago. Tate need to curate an exhibition now. Wish I was able to travel to that Paris show
  6. From memory, the standalone CD of Vol. 1 has a relatively long tuning, club buzz and laughter before the opening Fire Waltz, while the box set track starts abruptly (I only have the box set now). Maybe it's just me, but I like it better when there is club noise for a while and then the performance.
  7. Another cold morning. Starting off with some collective heat. SF JAZZ COLLECTIVE — THE MUSIC OF JOE HENDERSON AND ORIGINAL COMPOSITIONS disc 1
  8. A note (just in case ...) to those wondering: I just checked the "Lestorian Notes" discography by Piet Koster and Harm Mobach that (on the face of it) is ultra-detailed. But no trace of that tune in the song title index. Yet the entry IS there. It is listed as "(Just a) Little Bit South of North Carolia" and therefore is filed under "L" and also marks the beginning of the 1942 entries in the actual discography. The LP on Everybody's 3002 is nice indeed. I picked up a copy last year when I had (more or less) first pick among a 5000-LP jazz collection our #1 record shop had gotten in. And yes, the 1944 recordings by the Basie band on that LP are fine. But "live 1944 Basie" (including Prez soloing) is exceedingly plentiful out there on various collector labels. So you can easily get drowned in the flood.
  9. I'm glad that they got help from all those cardboard androids up there on stage with them. Amazin' what you can do with technology, even back then. At least someone cared enough to expose people to music like that, and it stayed with Georghe and Steve, even if I could understand young people being baffled by what was going on. They got some publicity on WRVR in NY, and Michael Bourne of BGO even named his show after them, though I don't know if he played their music. The last interview with Puerling pretty much predicted what was going to happen to music.
  10. Joel Futtermann, Jimmy Lyons and Robert Adkins – In-Between-Position(s) - A Trio In Eight Movements
  11. Norgran MG N-1017 - Bud Powell " Jazz Original" - rec. 11 & 12 1955
  12. Norgran MG N-1029 - Stan Getz " Interpretations by The Stan Getz Quintet # 3" - rec. 07 & 11 1953
  13. [Y706]Add Lee Young Lee And Lester Young's Band : Paul Campbell (tp) Bumps Myers, Lester Young (ts) Jimmy Rowles (p) Louis Gonzales (g) Red Callender (b) Lee Young (d) Broadcast "Billy Berg's Club Capri", Culver City, LA, December 2, 1941 Benny's bugle [untitled piece] Everybodys EV-3002, Rhino R2-75872 [CD] Skyline (theme) (incomplete) - Note: "Skyline" not listed on label or sleeve of Everybodys EV-3002. "Untitled piece" as "Benny's Bugle" on Everybodys EV-3002, Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD-47 [CD]. "Skyline" as "Sign Off" on Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD-47 [CD]. Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD-47 [CD] titled "Lester Young, Vol. 2, 1939-1942 - The Complementary Works"; see flwg sessions to June 1, 1942 for more titles; rest of CD by others. JUTB (Jazz Up Top Box)CD-3019 [CD] titled "Pres Box, Volume 1"; see flwg session for one more title; rest of CD by others. Sound Hills (Jap)SSCD-8035/50 [CD] titled "Lester Young - Live and Private Recordings in Chronological Order"; see flwg session for one more title; rest of this 16 CD set by Lester Young and others. Both above titles also on Pres Box (It)01/22, JUTB (It)CD-3019 [CD], Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD47 [CD], Sound Hills (Jap)SSCD-8035/50 [CD]. [Y707]Add Lee Young Lee And Lester Young's Band : Red "Mack" Morris (tp) Bumps Myers (ts) Lester Young (ts,vcl) Jimmy Rowles (p) Louis Gonzales (g) Red Callender (b) Lee Young (d) prob."Club Capri", Hollywood, CA, prob c. February-July 1942 (Just a) Little bit south of North Carolina Prez Box (It)45/A, JUTB (It)CD-3019 [CD], Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD47 [CD], Sound Hills (Jap)SSCD-8035/50 [CD] Note: The above is a private recording. [Y708]Add Lee Young Lee And Lester Young's Band : Red "Mack" Morris (tp) Bumps Myers, Lester Young (ts) Jimmy Rowles (p) Louis Gonzales (g) Red Callender (b) Lee Young (d) KHJ Radio broadcast "Trouville Club", Los Angeles, May 6, 1942 Frolic Sam (incomplete) (unissued) [Y709]Add Lee Young Lee And Lester Young's Band : Red "Mack" Morris (tp) Bumps Myers, Lester Young (ts) Jimmy Rowles (p) Louis Gonzales (g) Red Callender (b) Lee Young (d) Billie Holiday (vcl) The Spirits of Rhythm : Eddie Beal (p-1) Teddy Bunn (g-1,vcl) Leo Watson, Wilbur Daniels, Douglas Daniels (vcl) KHJ Radio broadcast "Trouville Club", Los Angeles, June 1, 1942 Broadway (incomplete) Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD99 [CD] I hear music (bh vcl) (F)MJCD102 [CD] Bo-go-Joe (incomplete) (tb,lw,wd,dd vcl,1) (unissued) Untitled piece Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD99 [CD] Note: "Untitled piece" based on "Benny's Bugle". Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD99 [CD] titled "Lester Young, Volume 6, 1944 - The Complementary Works"; see flwg session for more titles; rest of CD by others. Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD102 [CD] titled "Billie Holiday, Volume 11, 1941-1942"; see flwg session for one more title; rest of CD by others. [Y710]Add Lee Young Lee And Lester Young's Band : Red "Mack" Morris (tp) Bumps Myers, Lester Young (ts) Jimmy Rowles (p) Louis Gonzales (g) Red Callender, Lee Young (b) Billie Holiday (vcl) KHJ Radio broadcast "Trouville Club", Los Angeles, June 1, 1942 Untitled piece Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD99 [CD] Solitude (incomplete)(bh vcl) (F)MJCD102 [CD] Broadway (F)MJCD99 [CD] Lady be good (incomplete) - Note: "Untitled Piece" as "Benny's Bugle" on Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD-99 [CD]. Lester & Lee Young recordings 41-42 - This would have made an excellent Uptown release (if the source material was still in decent condition) plus an unreleased live session later in 42 [Y711]Add Lee Young Lee And Lester Young's Band : Paul Campbell (tp) Bumps Myers, Lester Young (ts) Sir Charles Thompson (p) Louis Gonzales (g) Red Callender (b) Lee Young (d) Live "Cafe Society Downtown", New York, c. October 1942 The great lie (unissued) Untitled piece - [B3511] Add Count Basie
  14. Dave Holland Trio in Athens, April 25 2024. Eric Harland, Jaleel Shaw, Dave Holland. The end of their one month tour. An amazing set.
  15. Good stuff. This Lester and Lee stuff is also on Masters of Jazz (Media 7) Lester Young Vol. 2 (1939-1942) which is surprisingly cheaper to get than I would have thought.
  16. "Loki" was quite good, and "Legion" and "Doom Patrol" (not Marvel) are among my favorite TV shows ever. I stopped watching Marvel Movies though around the second Avengers. Just not my style.
  17. I think I must listen once to that original album of the tune. My discography of early Mingus is very scarce, I must admit. During my record buying years the "Pithecanthzropus Erectus" was a 1970 recorded album for the French America Label, and it was about the newest Mingus out than. Anyway strange, Until Mingus got his contract at Atlantic, all my Mingus albums was those "America" LP´s. Then of cours each year the new Atlantic album.
  18. Sure I remember him ! Before I got acquainted to jazz, I listened to stuff like Ö3 Hitparade or DiscÖ3, that was kid´s music than. we all listened to such stuff, but it all changed after I heard Miles an Mingus
  19. Speaking of William Shatner... 32 Famous Actors That Have Tried Their Hand At Singing (msn.com)
  20. Golden retriever puppy born with green fur is now in the viral limelight, named Shamrock (msn.com)
  21. Pinder was the last surviving member of the 1964 Moody Blues. On the other end of the spectrum, all five members of the 1964 Manfred Mann are still with us.
  22. Did you know that Erin Ellwood's mother was Gloria Henry? That makes her related to Dennis The Menace!!!! Oh btw - Erin Ellwood says to chill, that this house was an early example of her dad's work, hardly the "masterpiece" that is being bemoaned here. Still, she wishes the whole thing could have been handled a bit more elegantly. Add that one to the list...
  23. Eric Dolphy At The Five Spot : Booker Little (tp) Eric Dolphy (as-1,b-cl-2,fl-3) Mal Waldron (p) Richard Davis (b) Ed Blackwell (d) Live "Five Spot Cafe", New York, July 16, 1961 3146 (Warming up and tuning) (rejected) 3147 Status seeking (1) Prest PR7382, P24070, OJC CD-673-2 [CD], Prestige PRCD-5708-2 [CD] 3148 God bless the child (2 solo) Prest PR7382, P24070, OJC CD-673-2 [CD] 3149 Agression (2) Prest PR7294, PR34002, OJC 247, Prestige 088072313392 [CD] 3150 Like someone in love (3) Prest PR7294, PR34002, OJC 247, Prestige 088072313392 [CD] 3151 Fire waltz (1) Prest PR7611, New Jazz NJLP8260, OJC 133, Prestige PRCD-5708-2 [CD], Prestige/New Jazz 088807230656 [CD], Avid (E)AMSC1112 [CD] 3152 Bee vamp (2) Prest PR7611, New Jazz NJLP8260, OJC 133, Prestige/New Jazz 088807230656 [CD], Avid (E)AMSC1112 [CD] 3152 Bee vamp (alt) (2) Prest MPP2517, Prestige/New Jazz 088807230656 [CD] 3153 The prophet (1) Prest PR7611, New Jazz NJLP8260, OJC 133, Prestige/New Jazz 088807230656 [CD], Avid (E)AMSC1112 [CD] 3154 Number eight [Potsa lotsa] (1) Prest PR7334, OJC CD353 [CD], Prestige 088072313392 [CD] 3155 Booker's waltz (2) Prest PR7334, OJC CD353 [CD], Prestige PRCD-5708-2 [CD], Prestige 088072313392 [CD] Note: Prestige PR7294 = Prestige 7826. OJC CD353 [CD] also titled "Memorial album". Prestige/New Jazz 088807230656 [CD] titled "Eric Dolphy At The Five Spot". Prestige 088072313392 [CD] titled "Eric Dolphy At The Five Spot, Vol. 2". All issued titles also on Prestige P34002, PR7334 titled "Memorial album"; these are triple LPs. All issued titles also on Essential Jazz Classics (Sp)EJC55537 [CD] titled "Eric Dolphy/Booker Little Quintet - At The Five Spot, Complete Edition"; a 2 CD set. All issued titles also on Prestige 9PRCD-4418-2 [CD].
  1. Load more activity