All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Wow! That was great! This was the Louis Armstrong i knew as a kid. I knew nothing about him, but whenever he showed up as a guest on some TV variety show, I was glued to the screen with a huge smile on my face. Funny how the same thing happened again today. Louis is looking sharp and he sounds in good shape both instrumentally and vocally. The video and audio quality is terrific for 50 year old tape; thank you, BBC. I'd never really paid attention to Jewel Brown before. She was good. Whatever became of her?
  3. Ravi Coltrane signs with Blue Note

This album is quite good.
  4. btw, that Garner record came with an absolutely gorgeous/pristine thick-ish paper inner sleeve, one of these. I had never seen one before, never knew about them, so it's an unexpected treat!
  5. Today
  6. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

And at their jazziest, they're great! Now playing:
  7. Black Saint / Soul Note Box Set Sale

Agreed. I bought a couple of the listed boxes fairly recently and paid significantly more.
  8. Black Saint / Soul Note Box Set Sale

Some Great prices there. Wow.
  9. Ernie Andrews (early years)

I seem to recall one track on a Verve/Polygram/Phillips/? Harry James compilation CD that featured Ernie Andrews from his stint with that band. Perhaps it was this disc:
  10. Rendell Carr 5tet rides again

Just buy all 5 albums separately, assuming that there will be another reissue pressing. Some of them are still available from the first reissue press.
  11. ECM Press Releases for New Items

ECM is apparently issuing a late 1990s gig of the Bley/Peacock/Motian trio. Woohoo!
  12. Record Store Day 2019

I bought some used LPs at my local shop, ate free donuts and drank coffee, hung out with friends and talked about music. It was a nice time.
  13. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

Another wonderful release from Adventure Music. Excellent sound. Echoes of Jarrett Impulse! and early Weather Report as if recorded on ECM. "Fronteiras Imaginarias" Antonio Arnedo, Benjamin Tabukin, Joao Taubkin, Sergio Reze
  14. Rendell Carr 5tet rides again

No way to buy the vinyl box set, unless you are the ex wife of Jeff Bezos
  15. Concerts: previews / reviews

Yeah, this: http://www.theaterjones.com/ntx/reviews/20190419155139/2019-04-19/Dallas-Symphony-Orchestra/Fabio-Luisi-Conducts-the-Dallas-Symphony While Swiss Calvinist composer Martin is not widely known in the U.S., his music is evidently performed more frequently on the European Continent. So, this seems like a message from Luisi. With William Grant Still, Luisi is familiarizing us with our own native music. With Frank Martin, he’s familiarizing us with (kind of) his. One wonders whether that’s going to be a theme of Luisi’s tenure with the orchestra, and so far it seems as if it might be. His concerts next season are similarly a mix of the familiar and the unexpected—Beethoven, Brahms, Copland, Strauss, and Rimsky-Korsakov, yes, but also Augusta Read Thomas, Julia Wolfe, a lesser-known piece by Samuel Barber, and Franz Schmidt’s The Book with Seven Seals.
  16. Rendell Carr 5tet rides again

I got the five SHM-CDs in from cd.japan and the two I have listened to sound EXCELLENT. Very nice printing on the LP facsimile covers, and my one quibble would be that the cover material could be denser and there not be tabs folded across the back.
  17. So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

"Introducing the Kenny Drew Trio" Blue Note, Japan UHQCD. Sounds fantastic. Great playing. Followed by The Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet "Phase III" Japanese mini-lp facsimile SHM-CD
  18. What vinyl are you spinning right now??

I've often thought the same of Nelson Riddle's intros to Sinatra ballads.
  19. Just wanted to share this offer with you guys. This is my latest Jazz offer. Email me at tommysjazz@gmail.com if interested in anything. Tommy's Jazz #12 - Black Saint/Soul Note Box Set Sale Shipping is 5.00 for first set and 1.00 for each additional. (International orders please ask for a shipping charge) The ones marked in red have a small line on the spine. They are not cut outs but just the result of someone opening the boxes a little too aggressive with a knife. Picture at the end shows an example. Abrams, Muhal Richard The Complete Remastered Recordings - 8 Cd BXS 1021 $25 Abrams, Muhal Richard The Complete Remastered Recordings - 9 CD BXS 1041 $26 Adams, George The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1018 $20 Blackwell, Ed The Complete Remastered Recordings - 8 Cd BXS 1030 $24 Blake, Ran The Complete Remastered Recordings - 7 Cd BXS 1034 $20 Bley, Paul The Complete Remastered Recordings - 9 Cd BXS 1027 $26 Bowie, Lester The Complete Remastered Recordings - 3 Cd BXS 1006 $20 Cyrille, Andrew The Complete Remastered Recordings - 7 Cd BXS 1023 $20 Dixon, Bill The Complete Remastered Recordings - 9 Cd BXS 1009 $26 Douglas, Dave The Complete Remastered Recordings - 6 Cd BXS 1020 $20 Farmer, Art The Complete Remastered Recordings - 6 Cd BXS 1025 $20 Gaslini, Giorgio The Complete Remastered Recordings - 11 Cd BXS 5001 $30 Giuffre, Jimmy The Complete Remastered Recordings - 4 Cd BXS 1016 $20 Haden, Charlie The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1001 $20 Hamilton, Chico The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1029 $20 Hemphill, Julius The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1019 $20 Hill, Andrew The Complete Remastered Recordings - 4 Cd BXS 1039 $20 Konitz, Lee The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1011 $20 Lacy, Steve The Complete Remastered Recordings - 9 Cd BXS 1033 $26 Lacy, Steve The Complete Remastered Recordings - 6 Cd BXS 1013 $20 Lake, Oliver The Complete Remastered Recordings - 7 Cd BXS 1026 $20 Lewis, George The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1022 $20 Lyons, Jimmy The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1028 $20 Mingus, Charles The Complete Remastered Recordings - 4 Cd BXS 1040 $20 Mitchell, Roscoe The Complete Remastered Recordings - 9 Cd BXS 1036 $26 Murray, David The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1010 $20 Murray, David The Complete Remastered Recordings - 7 Cd BXS 1024 $20 Murray, David The Complete Remastered Recordings - 6 CD BXS 1042 $20 Pieranunzi, Enrico The Complete Remastered Recordings - 6 Cd BXS 1004 $20 Pullen, Don The Complete Remastered Recordings - 7 Cd BXS 1017 $20 Roach, Max The Complete Remastered Recordings - 6 Cd BXS 1044 $20 Roach, Max The Complete Remastered Recordings - 6 Cd BXS 1038 $20 Russell, George The Complete Remastered Recordings - 9 Cd BXS 1005 $26 Shepp, Archie The Complete Remastered Recordings - 4 Cd BXS 1035 $20 Sun Ra The Complete Remastered Recordings - 4 Cd BXS 1031 $20 Taylor, Cecil The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1007 $20 Threadgill, Henry The Complete Remastered Recordings - 7 Cd BXS 1003 $20 Trovesi, Gianluigi The Complete Remastered Recordings - 9 Cd BXS 1032 $26 Waldron, Mal The Complete Remastered Recordings - 11 CD BXS 1043 $28 Wheeler, Kenny The Complete Remastered Recordings - 5 Cd BXS 1037 $20 World Saxophone Quartet, The The Complete Remastered Recordings - 6 Cd BXS 1015 $20
  20. Ernie Andrews (early years)

Wasn't Ernie Andrews in the audience a lot at Merv Griffin's early 70s CBS talk show? Seems like I remember Merv always (I guess "always", he was never my go-to guy for late-nite) during his monologue taking a break and saying something like "ladies and gentlemen, Ernie Andrews", and the camera would cut to him, he'd smile or something, the audience would applaud, and then on with the show, and I kept thinking who the fuck is this Ernie Andrews guy, is this s joke or something? If it wasn't MErv, it was somebody else, because I distinctly remember finding out a lot later that Ernie Andrews was a real guy, a real singer, and a real presence, and it was like oh, ok, THAT Ernie Andrews, the guy in Merv's audience all the time.
  21. Branford slams Miles

I wonder if 80’s Heavy Metal was correlated with Reaganite Cinema. kind of aggressive, but ultimately happy-go-lucky and all about life being one endless party. Then Desert Storm happened, souring the mood of the country, which was perfectly encapsulated by the rise of Grunge, and the almost overnight death of 80’s Metal.
  22. It might be a fun exercise to put together a record's worth of nothing but Erroll Garner introductions and then release them as "modern classical piano compositions". There's enough tells for a really keen-eared listener to eventually catch on, but there's more than enough to throw most people off. I mean, even with the knowledge of knowing what record is playing on my turntable, I still have these moments of doubt about maybe they fucked up at the record label and put a wrong track on there. Nice shirt, btw. French cuffs still look good to me.
  23. Branford slams Miles

Agreed. The rise of Reaganite Cinema following the era 70s Auteur Cinema would be a reasonable parallel in film.
  1. Load more activity