wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

47,865 posts in this topic

Thanks! The P3 is one of the ones I am sizing up. I didn't know the Linn LP12 but will check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Still thinking it through. The fact is my old one was a fairly cheap starter ProJect and, sentimentality aside, it is time to level up. Probably going to go for a direct drive option. Any recommendations welcome, as I am no tech expert.

Still thinking it through. The fact is my old one was a fairly cheap starter ProJect and, sentimentality aside, it is time to level up. Probably going to go for a direct drive option. Any recommendations welcome, as I am no tech expert.

perhaps it is time to start getting acquainted with the Steve Hoffman crowd…

l had the same issue about 6 months ago and bought a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit because I wanted 45/33 switch. Very pleased with it but it's belt drive.

It was my first attempt to spend more money on kit than music!

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks! The P3 is one of the ones I am sizing up. I didn't know the Linn LP12 but will check it out.

The old ‘fruit box’ goes back over 40 years in design terms but over the years Linn and third parties have given options for bearing, power supply, suspension and even outer body upgrades. You can spend from circa £1.5k to £30k+. I think the only original bits on mine are the platter and outer body !  You can also get good UK dealers to build up a s/h LP12 for you - a cost effective option.

It isn’t a cheap option but it is built to last. Servicing usually a good move every 10 years or so. Another advantage is that cosmetically it can look very good. I wouldn’t worry too much about direct drive either - good belt drive will usually surpass indifferent direct drive at typical price points e.g. for Planar 3.

Paging porcy62 for his comments/thoughts on Brinkmann..:g

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It was my first attempt to spend more money on kit than music!

A slippery slope...:g

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Paging porcy62 for his comments/thoughts on Brinkmann..:g

A slippery slope...:g

I moved in a new flat, my back wished I kept the Linn.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, porcy62 said:

I moved in a new flat, my back wished I kept the Linn.:D

:D

41CgF9rD2LL.jpgUK  CBS

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

a.jpg

French Muse pressing. Saw this exact group (minus Abbey) in 1979, when this one was their most recent release. Great to be reminded of it.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Still thinking it through. The fact is my old one was a fairly cheap starter ProJect and, sentimentality aside, it is time to level up. Probably going to go for a direct drive option. Any recommendations welcome, as I am no tech expert.

Inexpensive decent direct drive turntables are a bit of a rare breed these days. Depending on your budget, there are a couple of Technics direct drive TTs and Cambridge Audio's Alva TT is a nice-looking option... except that it has a non-defeatable phono preamp. There is an inexpensive Pioneer direct drive built for DJs, but I don't have any idea about its quality. Other than these few options, the major players have mostly gone belt drive. No Pro-Ject or Rega direct drive TTs. VPI makes a direct drive TT but it's $15,000.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

perhaps it is time to start getting acquainted with the Steve Hoffman crowd…

Have fun with that. You'll have one poster will post something as an absolute and then the rest of the posters will take sides and gang up on anyone who doesn't agree with them. Belt drive vs direct drive is like "Tastes great/Less Filling" for those people.

And don't even get me started about some of their recommended accessories. There are a lot of snake oil advocates over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

 

41CgF9rD2LL.jpg

What was your impression of that one? I was following Maynard in real time back in the day (jazz-rock/horn bands/high school stage bands all at once, it was like the early AACM days of self-discovery for clueless white teenagers...but at least for some of us it was an entry ramp onto a much bigger, longer, and meaningful road into...everything else), and this one seemed like it had passed a point of no return in terms of "show" vs "go". But then he kep crossing that line further and further. Maybe with hind sight this one would be less egregious than it seemed at the time? Maybe?

Or maybe this is one to give to Lot's wife?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha. It is an impenetrable place.

I have been advised that an AT LP120 with an upgraded stylus and a bit of soldering to bypass the inbuilt pre-amp (I have a fancy Rega) should provide a cut price alternative to a proper Technics. AT stuff comes up in a "second hand shop" (let's call it) near me quite often, and I was sizing that up as a cut price option. Am I being silly? The Rega 3 or the ProJect that MJazzG mentioned were my more expensive fall back options. Whatever it is needs to be robust enough to handle marauding toddlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

What was your impression of that one? I was following Maynard in real time back in the day (jazz-rock/horn bands/high school stage bands all at once, it was like the early AACM days of self-discovery for clueless white teenagers...but at least for some of us it was an entry ramp onto a much bigger, longer, and meaningful road into...everything else), and this one seemed like it had passed a point of no return in terms of "show" vs "go". But then he kep crossing that line further and further. Maybe with hind sight this one would be less egregious than it seemed at the time? Maybe?

Or maybe this is one to give to Lot's wife?

It’s a bit of a mixed bag with a definite commercial slant but overall I like it.  McCartney’s  ‘Jet’ for example was never going to be a modern jazz standard. Having said that, I think the band has been well captured and the trumpet pyrotechnics always impressive. I think there is one killer cut - ‘Superbone Meets The Bad Man’ which finishes off side 2, with a good outing for Bruce Johnstone (who I think was a hang over from the Ernie Garside UK band) on baritone.

I think ex board member ‘Deep’ is on drums on this LP !

I saw Maynard here in the UK with an orchestra similar to this one about 5 years later and have fond memories of it. Maynard played quite a bit on superbone that night.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Whatever it is needs to be robust enough to handle marauding toddlers.

No turntable can "handle" marauding toddlers. A toddler grabs your TT arm with a record on there and your options are: stylus is toast, record is toast or both are toast. :)

FWiW, I just bought a turntable for my secondary listening space where I needed it to be able to on a shelf - so no traditional cover. I bought a Denon DP-400 (~$500):

Denon DP-400 Hi-Fi Turntable with Speed Auto Sensor | Nebraska Furniture  Mart

I swapped out the stock cartridge for an Ortofon 3M Black (~$750) and I have a very nice sounding turntable. With this funky cover in place, it's safe from my dog's tail, but a toddler could still reach into that opening where the stylus resides. :( BTW - that cover doubles as a cover stand, It actually works well:

Amazon.com: Denon DP-400 (White) Semi-Automatic Analog Turntable with Speed  Auto Sensor | Specially Designed Curved Tonearm | Supports 33 1/3. 45, 78  RPM (Vintage) Speeds | Modern Looks, Superior Audio: Electronics

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Whatever it is needs to be robust enough to handle marauding toddlers.

I just ban them..and dogs ...:D

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

It’s a bit of a mixed bag with a definite commercial slant but overall I like it.  McCartney’s  ‘Jet’ for example was never going to be a modern jazz standard. Having said that, I think the band has been well captured and the trumpet pyrotechnics always impressive. I think there is one killer cut - ‘Superbone Meets The Bad Man’ which finishes off side 2, with a good outing for Bruce Johnstone (who I think was a hang over from the Ernie Garside UK band) on baritone.

Yeah, I remember that cut, they saved the one "real jazz" cut for last, like, ok, this last one is for us (and for all the longer time fans). Bruce Johnstone always came to play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I remember that cut, they saved the one "real jazz" cut for last, like, ok, this last one is for us (and for all the longer time fans). Bruce Johnstone always came to play!

Absolutely right. If the whole album had been at that level, it would be a classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great advice. Thank you all.

Currently on the way to the DIY shop to get a hammer and some 2x4s. The toddler will love his snug new home in the back yard, and in the interests of childcare we will let him in for meals and musical education.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a P3 about ten years ago. It was an easy TT with a good neutral sound, No doubt it's design will have been tweaked further so it'd be hard to go wrong with one. I currently use a VPI Prime which is whole other level in terms of cost and mass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Clunky said:

 I currently use a VPI Prime which is whole other level in terms of cost and mass.

One day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Still thinking it through. The fact is my old one was a fairly cheap starter ProJect and, sentimentality aside, it is time to level up. Probably going to go for a direct drive option. Any recommendations welcome, as I am no tech expert.

perhaps it is time to start getting acquainted with the Steve Hoffman crowd…

I upgraded a couple of years ago from a basic ProJect to a ProJect X2.  Quite happy with it, plus you can play 45s on it, which comes in handy with labels like Music Matters or Analogue Productions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brad said:

...plus you can play 45s on it, which comes in handy with labels like Music Matters or Analogue Productions. 

Or Atlantic!

R-3829990-1395668637-9639.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Or Atlantic!

R-3829990-1395668637-9639.jpeg.jpg

All of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks! The P3 is one of the ones I am sizing up. I didn't know the Linn LP12 but will check it out.

I just bought a P3 with an Elys cart and love it. Hard to beat for the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

KFwyNKtQ.jpeg?1617804030

Wasn’t originally going to get this as I have the (then globally rare) CD but I wanted it on vinyl. First impressions - they did a really nice job, admittedly pricey over here but it does include facsimile poster, concert programme and booklet. The music and performance of course is superb. Sound is nice and crisp, matt sleeve is sort of like old style Impulse.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

KFwyNKtQ.jpeg?1617804030

Wasn’t originally going to get this as I have the (then globally rare) CD but I wanted it on vinyl. First impressions - they did a really nice job, admittedly pricey over here but it does include facsimile poster, concert programme and booklet. The music and performance of course is superb. Sound is nice and crisp, matt sleeve is sort of like old style Impulse.

Yes, I tempted by that too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, I tempted by that too

Worth getting. This cut has lots of ‘presence’ and the quality is up there. I never heard last year’s vinyl version but this looks to be a better quality issue all round. Even the Hoffman Board RSD review thread is raving about it !

What you get on this one is more of a straight transfer from tape, warts and all. ‘Grandmixer DXT’ (whoever he is) who did the processing on the original issue is short-circuited. The sound to me has more presence and ‘air’.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now