Soulstation1

Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

5,799 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2018 at 1:02 PM, Ron S said:

The Complete Chick Webb & Ella Fitzgerald Decca Sessions (1934-1941)--Discs 1 & 2

 

51nMvxovDPL.jpg

Now, discs 3 & 4.  Still marveling at the sound quality on this one (and of course, the music).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-4049018-1408713877-8994.jpeg.jpg

Carmell Jones - disc 3 - the Harold Land: Jazz Impressions of Folk Music record

Michael Cuscuna's reminiscence in the liner notes relates how Chuck helped rescue this from obscurity. Great that he did. It's a damn fine session.

Edited by paul secor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-4049018-1408713877-8994.jpeg.jpg

Discs 1 and 2.

Lovely stuff.   Unfortunately I didn't really get to appreciate Jones during his lifetime.  I don't recollect his recordings being that easily available this side of the pond.

Edited by JohnS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

‘The Remarkable Carmell Jones’ was put out on UK Vogue, John. I occasionally see copies in second hand racks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-4049018-1408713877-8994.jpeg.jpg

Carmell Jones - disc 2

Very good indeed ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a very nice set. I think the music here is better than his playing on his Prestige date or with Horace Silver.

After retiring from the Berlin Radio jazz orchestra he was reunited with his old Californian buddy Lou Blackburn in the latter's Afro-Jazz band, Mombasa. I remember they had a fun time playing together again. They were really cookin' when I heard them in the rather small Frankfurt Jazzkeller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carmell Jones Disc 3 yesterday.  I can't say that the Strazzeri set grabbed me this time around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-9699547-1487098265-4649.jpeg.jpg

James P. Johnson is in the house!

Took from Friday to Monday to bring it here - just opened it and threw in the frist disc. Splendid sound for a 1921 session.

My copy is # 1209 ...... did they really have all 5000 copies made?

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-9699547-1487098265-4649.jpeg.jpg

James P. Johnson is in the house!

Took from Friday to Monday to bring it here - just opened it and threw in the frist disc. Splendid sound for a 1921 session.

My copy is # 1209 ...... did they really have all 5000 copies made?

I don't have any inside info, but I'd be very surprised if there were 5000 copies of this box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-9699547-1487098265-4649.jpeg.jpg

on to disc two ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-9699547-1487098265-4649.jpeg.jpg

... now disc three - really a great picture of the scene back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woody Shaw Muse box Disc 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2018 at 4:14 PM, mikeweil said:

R-9699547-1487098265-4649.jpeg.jpg

on to disc two ....

That cover art kicks ass !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Jones set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I love the Jones set.

Yep - and it's a great companion to the Gerald Wilson big box!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I´ve just listend to the last CD from the Cliff Jordon Strata East:

The Glassbeads Game. Really great the two different quartets, the one with Stanley Cowell and the one with Cedar Walton. The Cliff-Walton-Sam Jones-Billy Higgins group became the working unit, that would record very much in the following years.

In general, that Box has a lot of interesting material, but I liked most the Rhytm X, the Pharoah Sanders with Sonny Sharrock, and of course the Glass Beads Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I´ve just listend to the last CD from the Cliff Jordon Strata East:

The Glassbeads Game. Really great the two different quartets, the one with Stanley Cowell and the one with Cedar Walton. The Cliff-Walton-Sam Jones-Billy Higgins group became the working unit, that would record very much in the following years.

In general, that Box has a lot of interesting material, but I liked most the Rhytm X, the Pharoah Sanders with Sonny Sharrock, and of course the Glass Beads Game.

"Glass Beads Game" is terrific ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.