Transition label

Dmitry

brownie, I wonder, the Coltrane/Fuller/Chambers tracks (I have them on that brown Chambers/Coltranee 2LP set), were they released separately, or were they the teasers that made people buy that sampler? And do you know there's more from that date?¨

That Coltrane/Fuller was announced on the liner notes to the Transition LPs and one track was included in the sampler. That sampler was $1.98 when it was released. The other LPs were at $3.98 back in those days.

The BN Paul Chambers twofer had what was available from the material recorded at that session. Nothing else available unfortunately!

Another reason to consider them lost... Cuscuna would have certainly put them on the Chambers Select if they were still around! What a pity!

Lon, I like those early Dylan albums too! I guess Wilson DID make a difference with Dylan. And then he was the first (or so one says, at least) black producer in the pop/rock business back then.

ubu

I remember reading something about the mishaps surrounding that session, but can't recall the exact source. Looks liek Red garland didn't make the date - strange enough that tenor man Roland Alexander took the piano chores for one track. Maybe studio time ran out and/or the date was abandoned. These three tracks are all that was recorded, that is for certain.

The source, of course, was David Wild's 1979 Coltrane Discography (2nd printed edition). This is not yet included on his website. Cuscuna copied/edited Dan Morgenstern's liner notes from the Bluie Note twofer LP "High Step" for the "Chambers' Music" CD, including the supposedly wrong recording date:

BN-LA451-H2 gives "Boston, Apr 20 1955 or Detroit Nov. 1955". The earlier date  was based on information producer Michael Cuscuna found on the original tape boxes, which were merely dated "April 20".  The (Brian) Davis discography suggested that "Apr 20, 1955" was correct, since pianist  Alexander was a resident of Boston at the time. Cuscuna later confirmed (in conversation with Alexander) that the session took place in Boston. However, further resaerch strongly supports the date Apr 20, 1956. Cuscuna recently spoke with Curtis Fuller, who provided the following information. The recording date was to have featured Fuller and Pepper Adams (with a tentative title of "Salt and Pepper").  It was to have used part of the Miles Davis Quintet, then performing in town (Davis also wanted to hear Fuller), and Coltrane, Chambers, Jones and Red Garland were contacted. Garland, a no-show, was replaced by Alexander on the only title originally issued. At the actual recording session things became rather confused, and a tune written for Coltrane by Fuller, "Trane's Strain", was later credited to Coltrane. Similarly, Paul Chambers was later credited as the session's leader (although no leader credit is made on Transition LP30).  Research places the Miles Davis Quintet at 'Storyville' in Boston April 16-30, 1956.  Note also that the liner notes to Transition LP30 (by Chuck Israels) remark, "Then  Roland Alexander takes over for Garland, who was unable to make the date due to chorus girls".  Note too that Jepsen's 'Jazz Records 1942-1962' (Vol. 4a, p. 200) contains the entry "Curtis Fuller - Pepper Adams: 1956/1957, Transition LP8" with no titles (This LP was never issued). 

I'd say the project was abandoned after that unsuccessful first session.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone keeps saying Transition "vinyl" but the Transitions were injection molded with styrene, a cheap substitute and very brittle. You can spot these since they have labels attached with glue and they "ring" when tapped on the edge.

Weren't the Debut LPs also made from the same material?

They feel the same. And some of the Debut labels came unglued.

Deccas may not have been injection-molded with styrene, but the pre-1960 LPs were composed of something they actually trademarked as 'Deccalite'. For a major label, they were cheap f*ucks when it came to favoring the customer. Real sad, for any of us who've gotten excited about finding any of their Jazz Studio, Jazz Lab, or Mood Jazz in Hi-Fi series of 'cool school' arrangers like George Russell, Ralph Burns, and John Graas. The Decca-lite is ruthless to the listener when it comes to a light scuff -- and any any scratch sounds like a crater. These Deccas were unyielding if you try to flex them -- try harder and they'd snap in half. "Unbreakable Record" my ass.

Specifically, I'm referring to Deccas with black or maroon labels and silver print. (You might as well add Coral releases, too.) By 1960, they ditched the Deccalite and went with real vinyl and labels with a rainbow prism in the center. Maybe the defective returns from dealers and the success of RCA Living Stereos convinced the Decca/MCA headcheese to give the customer a better record.

What I am missing from this discussion is Marable (spelling?) album Tenorman. Ripe for a Con?

I have a Japanese mini-LP reedition of this album.

THE LAWRENCE MARABLE QUARTET featuring JAMES CLAY: TENORMAN (JAZZ WEST JWLP-8)

(I'm playing with the colors in an laughable effort to reproduce the colors of the titles of the cover.)

It's a Toshiba-Emi Limited (TOCJ-9340) in a 24 bits remastering by RON McMASTER from 2001.

Even if it's a Limited Edition, I think that he could be still available.

Is J.A.W knows something about?

Edited by P.L.M

A couple of points about some Transitions, etc:

Delmark's Byrd/First Flight was issued on Transition as #5 and it predates the other Transitions as Byrd's debut recording as leader. The personnel includes Yusef Lateef, Bernard McKinney (aka Kiane Zawadi), Barry Harris, Alvin Jackson and Frank Gant.

Delmark's Ra/Sun Song was originally on Jazz by Sun Ra (Transition #10). The bonus track, Swing A Little Taste, was on the sampler #30.

Ra/Sound of Joy was recorded by Transition but first issued by Delmark.

The Larry Marable Jazz West date was issued in the US on BN CDP 7 8440 2 in 1989. It contains a bonus track, from PJ, with James Clay, Bobby Timmons, Jimmy Bond and Peter Littman playing In A Sentimental Mood. This was a Clay "test recording" at the end of a Chet Baker session.

Deccas may not have been injection-molded with styrene, but the pre-1960 LPs were composed of something they actually trademarked as 'Deccalite'. For a major label, they were cheap f*ucks when it came to favoring the customer.

Thanks for the write-up, Bill. 50s Decca jazz Lps pop up infrequently on the used scene, in my case. Those I see usually look like crap and probably sound just as bad. A lot of them were probably trashed fast and people just threw them away.

Same goes for the Debut 10'' and Transition Lps. I see them very infrequently. I remember seeing a John Dennis with Mingus and Roach record in fair condition for like $80 at a record convention.

Now I know why. Japanese vinyl helps, though!

Any idea who the unidenfied tenor could be?

I couldn't identify the tenor at the time. I might do better now 30+ years later. I don't remember being very impressed with the date at the time.

Yeah, its really one of those things that only mad collectors like some of the people here would want to hear, or want to know who the tenor was ... we're nuts like that.

Of course, Roy Haynes is still alive, someone should ask him if he remembers the gig. I'm sure he does, after all he's only done, what, a few thousand gigs in his sixty years in the business? B-)

• 5 years later...