John Tchicai

Late

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently received and have been playing "Coltrane In Spring" from J.T. Nice quartet date with Danish musicians. Also, bassist Adam Lane's record with Paul Smoker, J. T., and Barry Altchul. There's a Boxholder trio record with Garrison Fewell, guitar; Charlie Kholhase and J.T. that's lyrical and beautiful. Not the NYC5 but worthwhile none the less.

I guess nobody knows the details of Charles Gayle's dissapointment w/ Tchicai when they made that Silkheart album way back in the early 1990's. I thought the LP

was fine to OK, but after spinning it again, I can kinda hear some dissension.

Head over to Jazz Corner and drop Dennis Gonzalez a line, he may know. He's got his own thread on their forums and is a really accessible guy.

For the OP, I can't recall the album, I heard it at my father's one day. It's with the tenor player he has frequently recorded with lately (not Kohlhase). There's a tune which is more like a discussion between the two horns playing the head. The other guy goes first, and it's nice -- really thoughtful. Then Tchicai comes in and it takes you're breath away -- there's just so much story in his sound. A lot of the recent stuff seems to have an almost native American feel to it, which does not much appeal to me, but those records with that quartet are very interesting. Didn't he also show up on Curtis Clark's DREAMS DEFERRED on Nimbus West? Regardless, that's a great record.

Edited by Thom Keith

I've seen John many times in recent years when he was living in Davis, Ca. He played at all kinds of venues from concert halls to clubs and even art galleries. He's always doing interesting things. Some I like more than others, but he's always searching and I admire that.

Some his more recent recordings that I like are Infinitestimal Flash w/ Adam Lane, Francis Wong and Mat Maruchi on Buzz Records and Anybody Home? a live recording in a cave in the Faroe Islands on TUTL records. The first one is very high energy with some good interplay between Francis Wong and John. The second one shows the quieter side of John.

I have that with Strings album too. I need to give it a spin soon. I like it enough but I haven't really played it a lot.

I've always really liked his bass clarinet work. I don't know if he's recorded much with it, but for a while there he was playing it in the clubs a lot.

Got a copy of NYAQ on the way, so I'm pretty excited to hear it based on what I've read above.

It's a good record, but I could do without LeRoi Jones' contribution (on one track). I wish Tchicai's solos were longer. Anyway, if you like it, you'll definitely want to search out Timo's Message. Of the Tchicai recordings I've heard (I think only about seven or eight), it's my favorite. But I've been spinning Afrodisiaca again, and it's been blowing me away.

The first Cadentia Nova Danica record is weird. I like it, but I still can't get my ears around what's going on. Kinda like Ascension, but double the personnel and remove the solos. Something like that.

• 6 months later...
Guest Bill Barton

Thanks for that link, Late.

Good stuff...

Man, that percussionist looks like he just rolled out of bed :huh: but sounds fine.

Kuiters is a new name to me. He's certainly fun to watch. Interesting player too.

Thanks for that link, Late.

Good stuff...

Man, that percussionist looks like he just rolled out of bed :huh: but sounds fine.

Kuiters is a new name to me. He's certainly fun to watch. Interesting player too.

durium wrote two very interesting entries on kuiters in his blog... (and included a tune of his on his bft...)

http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2008/07/p...erdammer-1.html

http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2008/07/p...erdammer-2.html

Edited by Niko

Got a copy of NYAQ on the way, so I'm pretty excited to hear it based on what I've read above.

It's a good record, but I could do without LeRoi Jones' contribution (on one track). I wish Tchicai's solos were longer.

Yeah, I really dig this record too and its always a pleasure to hear Milford Graves! Roswell as usual is on the case and I really find his dixieland roots to be a surprisingly good fit in free-form jazz.

Edited by Holy Ghost

• 2 years later...

Tchicai will do a short duo tour in Switzerland with Giancarlo Nicolai soon - from his calendar:

September 11-15

Switzerland

A short duo-tour of John Tchicai and swiss-italian guitarist Giancarlo Nicolai:

Sept. 11 Bellinzona, Spazio Culturale Temporaneo

Sept. 12 Lugano, Jazz in Besso

Sept. 13 Küsnacht Zrich, Kantonsschule Küsnacht

Sept. 14 Luzern, Mulbau

Sept. 15 Bern, Etage

Happens so that the concert on Sept. 13 (which takes place at noon time!) is nearby and our neighbour is an old friend of Tchicai's, so he'll stay at her place - and I'll meet him as she'll be at work... hope to get to chat a little and will of course attend the concert!

Never saw him live before and have mostly sideman appearances of his on albums... but I still consider myself a fan and am looking forward to this!

I saw Tchicai last year in NYC, in a group organized by Garrison Fewell. Steve Swell was in the group; can't remember who else was in the group that night. Very nice, thoughtful, intelligent music, but nothing that grabbed you by the lapels and shook you (so to speak), although Swell had his usual volcanic moments. However, every once in a while, Tchicai would step up and blow and just pin you back in your seat. When he does that, he's a pretty damned exciting sax player. He is also a very nice guy to talk with. Tall, yes: I'll go with 6'4" or 6'5".

Intakt is planning a 2012 release of the 1980 Willisau concert by the "Musical Monsters": Don Cherry, John Tchicai, Irene Schweizer, Leon Francioli, Pierre Favre. Of course it's been "in circulation", but this is great news!

Got it from the Swiss jazz magazine "Jazz'n'More" which runs a portrait on Tchicai in the current issue (5/2011, Sept./Okt.) and announces this at the botton of the page. They already mention the catalogue number (Intakt CD 206) so I'm really hoping this will come true!

You might have noted the post in the Miscellaneous Music thread, but I was listening to this the other night. The Tchicai - Tony Marsh duo is excellent. The performance is from 2008. Tchicai does some shaman-like vocalizing. Curious, has he been doing that for a while, or is this a new development?

treader.jpg