What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Sunday, 4/26/09, Baltimore Museum Of Art

Ben Riley's Monk Legacy Band

Don Sickler: trumpet, musical director

Wayne Escoffery: tenor sax

Bruce Williams: alto sax, soprano sax

Jay Brandford: baritone sax

Freddie Bryant: guitar

Cameron Brown (filling in for Essiet Okon Essiet): bass

Ben Riley: drums

First set

Green Chimneys

Brake's Sake

Bemsha Swing

Bright Mississippi

Rhythm-A-Ning

Epistrophy (Theme)

Second Set

Shuffle Boil

Bye-Ya

Straight, No Chaser

Ask me Now

Evidence

Epistrophy (Theme)

Edited by bertrand

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

Mingus Dynasty on Sunday as part of the SF Jazz Fest. John Handy sitting in with nephew Craig, too.

That sounds like it could be an event. Please, let us know details later!

Barry Harris @Vanguard. Nobody can phrase like THAT today but him (not that many people are really trying).

Pretty good review in yesterday's NY Times, too.

Lessons and Tales for Friends

Mingus Dynasty on Sunday as part of the SF Jazz Fest. John Handy sitting in with nephew Craig, too.

That sounds like it could be an event. Please, let us know details later!

OK..........will do.

Last weekend I did the the UNC (U. of No. Colorado) festival for about my 10th year. It's always been big fun and every year they bring in some amazing artists. This year there were about 300 big bands (middle & high school & college big bands), some very good and some not. The quality of jazz education is very dependent on who is teaching. Some teachers prepare their bands for competitions, some prepare their bands for life. I've always been a believer of the latter. The adjudication of these events is often a little tricky, frequently the most significant suggestions need to be made to the directors and not the kids.

Anyway, the evening concerts were big fun. On Friday, the concert order was Wayne Bergeron w/the UNC big band in a tribute to Maynard (also featuring our good friend Duke City tearin' it up on bari sax). Afterwards was the Mingus big band, which was very, very good. After the concert there was a session back at the hotel featuring the "house band" (the rhythm section was the jazz faculty at UNC, an excellent rhythm section) plus some of the clinicians. So, here's the highlight...the bari player from the Mingus band (didn't catch his name, sorry) called up the tune Cherokee and the drummer kicked it off at a bright (300 bpm-ish) tempo. The bari player blew for awhile, then the house guys, Don Aliquo on tenor and Dave Pietro on alto played. Then came the Mingus band guys- Wayne Escoffery & Donnie McCaslin on tenor, then Craig Handy on alto and finally Bobby Watson on alto (non-Mingus, Bobby brought his college big band from KC). So, SEVEN sax solos and no one was playing short, but all had much to say. The tune clocked in at almost half an hour, and I hope someone bought the bass player a big-ass drink. It was definitely rhythm section abuse, but all the cats were playing some baaaaad shit, so all was forgiven.

On Saturday, the clinicians played a big band concert (because of the size of the festival, there were enough clinicians to populate a big band, and each year there are several commissions of new music). This was the part in which I participated, and I had much fun, got to blow some.

After our set, it was Chris Potter and the Underground band (Adam Rogers, guitar, Scott Colley, bass & Nate Smith, drums). It was absolutely amazing- Chris Potter is the shit, no question. He has some serious stamina; he blew long solos on tenor & bass clarinet and it was never for a minute less than totally engaging. Got to hang with the guys at the hotel bar, all were very nice. That was the first time I'd met Scott Colley, he's a super nice guy as well as a MF musician.

I'm very thankful for all opportunities to see my friends and play & hear some great music. And I have to add that these were all friends who teach, play & write, and I have a great respect for them because they do jazz education "right" IMHO.

Yesterday at Cheltenham - Henry Grimes, Paul Dunmall and Andrew Cyrille, 'Profound Sound Trio'.

Grimes was incredible, gave it 100%. He was featured a bit to good effect on his 'new' instrument (violin) too ! And a bit of poetry.

Andrew Cyrille also predictably good. As was Dunmall.

Was due to follow up with David Leibman + BBC Big Band but a power cut in the area of the Everyman Theatre meant that the concert had to be cancelled. :(

This short report I found on a blog sums the gig up quite well:

Now this was more like it: from the US the legendary Andrew Cyrille on drums and the equally legendary Henry Grimes on bass, plus a British saxophonist who deserves legendary status by now, surely: Paul Dunmall.

It began with lengthy solos from each player in turn, a bit like stall keepers laying out their wares. Then it was all together for an astounding hour of group improvisation without boundaries. In the middle of his violin interlude, Grimes read a poem which referred to things above the atmosphere, out there in the stars and galaxies.

This music not only has the elemental sound of human beings, the blood pumping, the synapses snapping, but it has that astronomical scope too, the crackle, shudder of space. All three make sounds that contain multiple layers of timbre, tone and overtone which on the surface might sometimes feel like chaos, but if it is chaos it contains all manner of truths and beauties.

Edited by sidewinder

Was due to follow up with David Leibman + BBC Big Band but a power cut in the area of the Everyman Theatre meant that the concert had to be cancelled.

You know, it's a shame when a big band can't play acoustic!

Even if they're in the dark!

Yeah - without lighting that venue (a small, old Theatre) would be impossible. I believe the problem was a failure in the local sub-station caused by one of the shops up the street. A real shame - especially after the no-show of Hugh Masekela's backing band on Friday (which I've heard he overcame with aplomb). ;)

Edited by sidewinder

Yesterday: Circulasione Totale:

Frode Gjerstad, saxophones/clarinet; Sabir Mateen, saxophones/clarinet; Bobby Bradford, cornet; Børre Mølstad, tuba; Kevin Norton, vibraphone; Anders Hana, guitar; Lasse Marhaug, elctronics; Morten J. Olsen, percussion/electronics; Nick Stephens, bass; Per Zanussi, electric bass; Hamid Drake, drums; Louis Moholo, drums

Quite intense, and with many good moments! Bradford has a beautiful and strong sound on trumpet! And the three drummers were quite something... also Lasse Marhaug did some great stuff and it really made sense having him in this band! Kevin Norton was terrific as well!

Saw Sonny Rollins yesterday at Bass Hall, UT Austin.

Sonny Rollins was great. We even got to hear the unamplified sound of Sonny's horn at the beginning of the show. . . his mike was not working or not turned on or something. Sure didn't expect that bonus, the sound of Sonny's horn unamplified, in the air. Wonderful!

He was in a great bouyant mood and the whole show just bounced. Bobby Broom was excellent. "Don't Stop the Carnival" never sounded so good to me.

And then . . . for an encore. . . Sonny came out and sang the blues. He . . . sang the blues. I still don't really believe it. But he did, oh yes he did.

Saw Mingus Dynasty w/guest John Handy last night. Sort of a tribute to his albums of 50 years ago - "Ah Um" and "Blues and Roots". Needless to say, very entertaining. A great version of "Pork Pie Hat" with Ku-umba Lacy singing Joni's lyrics. Also a good job on "Fables of Faubus".

It was good to see John Handy playing these tunes, but he seemed a little lost a couple of times. Maybe it's been 50 years since he played them? Craig Handy tore up the place on tenor. I'm used to seeing him play alto, so that was great to see. He played some flute, too.

last night an unexpected and poorly advertised treat.

I saw the ICP orchestra in all its glory, at Edinburgh's Queen's Hall, apparent anarchy and immense beauty in the same bar, Tristan Honsinger was stunning as he veered from total freedom to the purest classical sound and back - , Han Bennink wild as ever, Mary Oliver- not a name I knew was highly expressive on violin/viola, amazing group interplay, highly enjoyable.