What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

thanks for the comments, Ubu

I agree that if that band would really let loose throughout more of the sets, that it would be more fitting to their name.

Malaby also sometimes drives me mad with his sometimes seemingly obstinate refusal to simply play. The first few times I saw him, I was aghast at the seemingly incongruous (inorganic is an apt description) use of soft long tones and extreme (excessive??) harsh technique. In the end it is part of his sound and part of varied approach. I have found that within a set or two, I can hear playing that is uneven, uneventful or brutal along with saxophone playing of the absolute highest order.

I have come to believe that his greatness comes from what he does and does not do. It allows the really good tunes/passages/improvisation to sometimes be great rather than him simply playing.

and Rainey is great, amazing and exceptionally powerful when the band gets past the cuteness of some of it's tunes/arrangements.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ars Nova Workshop presents:

Tonight! Thursday, April 11, 8pm
ICP ORCHESTRA
with Michael Moore, alto saxophone + clarinet; Tobias Delius, tenor saxophone + clarinet; Ab Baars, tenor saxophone + clarinet; Thomas Heberer, trumpet; Wolter Wierbos, trombone; Mary Oliver, violin; Tristan Honsinger, cello; Ernst Glerum, bass; and Han Bennink, drums

International House Philadelphia, 3701 Chestnut Street
$15 General Admission

and ICP in Brookyn on Saturday night:

Littlefield Performance and Art Space

622 Degraw Ave Brooklyn, NY

Doors: 8:00

Show: 9:00

I be there by 7:30

I gotta get close to Bennink's kit - real close - and hopefully near the *great* Wolter Wierbos on the trombone - to this day, my favorite trombonist of them all.

'Drums are made for Swinging'

from Han Bennink - spoken last spring at his 70th birthday celebration @ Columbia University

and drums are also for quite a bit else, of course........

I walked a half mile from my house tonight to hear a couple of hours of improvised music headlined by the Wrest Trio (saxophonist Jack Wright, bassist Evan Lipson, and percussionist Ben Bennett). Also on the bill were local boys Robert Cheatham playing saxophone with a guitarist I didn't know, and my buds Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel - an ensemble that is every bit as cool as you would think. I had heard Wright (from Philadelphia) and Lipson (now based in Chattanooga) before, but this was my introduction to young Ben Bennett, and I was very impressed. He's insane, in a good way. He sat on the stage, surrounded by his paraphernalia - a snare drum with no bottom head, several drumheads, bells, sticks, a trowel, a piece of aluminum, etc. He and his equipment were in constant motion, creating a seamless, yet constantly changing web of interesting sounds.

I'm off to Limerick Ireland for a week. I wonder what the live Jazz scene is like over there? :)

The Irish folk music in the pubs is likely to be way better ! The listing show that there's a festival in Sligo mid-July and the ones in Cork and Dublin later in the year.

Link here to Limerick Jazz site: http://www.limerickjazz.com/gigs/

Wonderous 80 minute set. Opened with 'Thelonious' arranged by Misha which started out from some solo and duo improvisations where for about 5 seconds Ab Baars made his unique tenor sound known with an intense blast.

They later played 'Criss Cross' with Michael Moore with a stunning alto solo that ended with some striking repetitive lines. In between we got a Basie/Honsinger/singing piece of magic, a Misha piece for string trio, an Ab Baars oblique composition, the always fun Honsinger conduction and let's see what else?!?!?!

I forget the name of the well known Duke piece but as always they play Ellington better than any band since Ellington's. and when Ab Baars takes a tenor solo on a swing tune, well one has to hear it to believe it is possible.

And Misha's Rollo was played in it's full glory. Maybe his greatest composition and it is so malleable and of course the band owns it.

Wierbos and Heberer were a bit subdued but played often as a team. Tristan Honsinger, Mary Oliver and Ernst Glerum were great as they were last time as was the tenor playing of Delius.

But along with Han, tonight was Michael Moore's night. On both clarinet and especially Alto, he played with the precision melodic beauty that is his hallmark.

Maybe more later, but as expected a helluva show

And the band got a standing ovation and this is NYC - well Brooklyn, if you will, but in any event, rare here.

First for those who haven't heard the band, they are essentially a swing big band with musicians who play the basics all the way to the most complex and sometimes outrageous improvisational. 3 clarinets at once go from seemingly obtuse freeish playing to melodic interplay.

And then....they play the encore called 'Train Wreck' not sure who wrote it and it was gorgeous, swung madly and really simply featured them all with maybe Tristan a bit in the spotlight for a bit. And 10'feet in front of me, I could not keep my eyes and ears off the 5 guys that make up the horn section. Almost casually brilliant. Most know about Bennink's history and his mad swinging ability, and even though many of us know what he will play for the most part, the experience to feel his passion and joy fir what he does made this a very special night for my wife and I. And for her, her favorite show yet.

Prayers for Misha if one prays (I do)

Tonight: Johnny Marr at the Fillmore.

Excellent show tonight! Much better than I was expecting. He did most of the tunes from his new album and a handful from the Smiths.

"Muscular" might be a good description, but without being "macho". It definitely rocked.

For the last 2 tunes of the encore ("I Fought the Law" and "How Soon is Now?") he brought out an old childhood friend, Billy Duffy from the Cult. Said as long as they've known each other, they had never actually played together before tonight.

521669_4261395907226_714575722_n.jpg

Excellent show tonight! Much better than I was expecting. He did most of the tunes from his new album and a handful from the Smiths.

"Muscular" might be a good description, but without being "macho". It definitely rocked.

For the last 2 tunes of the encore ("I Fought the Law" and "How Soon is Now?") he brought out an old childhood friend, Billy Duffy from the Cult. Said as long as they've known each other, they had never actually played together before tonight.

I was wondering how much Smiths stuff he'd perform. I don't know much about Marr's solo work -I assume that's him singing as well?

I've always dug The Cult too, cool that Duffy played.

Edited by Aggie87

I was wondering how much Smiths stuff he'd perform. I don't know much about Marr's solo work -I assume that's him singing as well?

I've always dug The Cult too, cool that Duffy played.

Yes, Ërik, he does ALL the singing, actually.

There are a some pretty good videos from that show on YouTube, including the encore stuff.

setlist:

1. "The Right Thing Right"
2. "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before"
3. "Upstarts"
4. "Sun and Moon"
5. "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out"
6. "European Me"
7. "London"
8. "Generate! Generate!"
9. "Say Demesne"
10. "Bigmouth Strikes Again"
11. "Word Starts Attack"