What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice! Got a good one of Amit? When he first came out, I thought they brought out the son of Yogananda to play some rippin' electric guitar! :g

My thoughts too....not what I expected. No real good shots as I had a poor vantage point unless I wanted to sit on someones lap. Here are a couple throw-away images.

m~

Thanks. BTW, Rob Dixon is one hell of a player! Nice cat, too.

Yeah, nice guy....always laid back! I used Rob in the opening spread of a five page article I did for Northwest Airline earlier this year....got a lot of positive feedback for Rob and myself.

I'm also working on a cd shoot with him.....he's recording a new cd....trio with Mel Rhyne.

m~

Just got back from a great show at the Jazz Kitchen (Indy):

Michael Wolff (p)

Badal Roy (tabla)

Mike Clark (d)

Amit Chatterjee (g)

Lincoln Goines (e.b.)

Nice mix of material and players. :tup

Is that the Mike Wolff from California who played with Cal Tjader in the early 1970's? How was it?

http://www.michaelwolff.com/

Yes, it looks like he did play with Cal. Plenty of variety in the moods of the music, and lots of room for everyone to stretch. Michael had the audience (and the band) in stitches with his band introductions. Turns out he did stand-up comedy for 5 years. Rachel and I enjoyed his playing quite a bit. His tunes are nice, most of them fairly simple, although with good harmonic content. Deceptively simple, maybe. Badal Roy was interesting; not so much a Zakir-style virtuoso, but with unique ideas, and what he did worked with the group very well, which is more important than blowing us away with chops. A mostly quiet duet between Roy and Wolff was a highlight of the show.

Actually, I have to confess that I did not recognize any of the band by sight, and had no idea, until they were introduced, that these were all well-known players. Well known to me, at least, with the exception of Amit. I didn't catch those Zawinal albums on which he plays, so this was my introduction. Heard some Scott Henderson type stuff, but he's no knockoff. Guess he plays a mean sitar, too.

We came away with a good feeling.

Tonight: Trio 3 here in Zurich (Oliver Lake-sax; Reggie Workman-bass; Andrew Cyrille-drums).

Same venue where the Swell/Ullmann Quartet played ten days ago with 13 people in the audience... I certainly hope the names of Lake, Workman and Cyrille will draw some more attention!

Tonight: Trio 3 here in Zurich (Oliver Lake-sax; Reggie Workman-bass; Andrew Cyrille-drums).

Same venue where the Swell/Ullmann Quartet played ten days ago with 13 people in the audience... I certainly hope the names of Lake, Workman and Cyrille will draw some more attention!

one of my first jazz concerts was Dave Douglas when I was about 15... and I had thought he was famous :)

it was rather 19 than 13 people - still I was quite surprised

But it is *very* depressing, even more so as the Swell/Ullmann Quartet also features drum great Barry Altschul and their music, while likely not "new" or ground-breaking, is very intelligent and involving... trodding a path between free-ish improvisation and good compositions (by both the leaders, but mostly by Gebhard Ullmann, I think).

Most depressing than is that you could attend *any* mainstream concert, regardless how boring the selection of standards that they'll play, you'd see three or four times as many people there...

Excellent group to see live! :tup

Excellent group to see live! :tup

Sorry to say I didn't find them convincing... mainly Lake, pretty uninteresting player, falling back on cliches too often, doing the overpowering high energy stuff, not building many coherent solos. Cyrille seemed tired but had a few good spots and generally played quite good. Workman was great, good sound (although pick-up > amp) and his solo spot (they did three solos towards the end) was beautiful. Also, contrary to Cyrille (disinterested) and Lake (arrogant, at least that's what he seemed to be, not only to me but also to a few friends who where there), Workman was projecting warmth and joy while on stage.

No live music 'til Friday. Then we get Organissimo in our back yard.

... which means there is some live music I won't be seeing: Lansing Symphony doing Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, plus some other cool stuff. Kinda bums me out, since I like to support the LSO, and that's a pretty wild piece.

Sorry we can't do better.

What's better than organissimo in your backyard? Well, you could do like RonS, and hire us to play in your living room. :party:

Tomorrow night: David Grisman and some friends (Old School Freight Train) are going to be doing some picking here.

Sunday: Califone in Arlington, or Alexandria... I don't know. Can't wait!

Tuesday: Califone in Chapel Hill... Carrboro, but whatever.

Benevetto Russo was here last weekend. When is Organissimo going to bring it to the beach?!!!

Friday night early

Kahil El'Zabar's Ritual Trio

featuring Billy Bang

+ Sonic Liberation Front

— Ritual Trio: Kahil El'Zabar (drums, percussion), Billy Bang (violin), Renee McLean (reeds) and Yoseph Ben Israel (double bass)

— Ritual Trio: Kevin Diehl, drums/Yoruba-Cuban percussion; Chuckie Joseph, Yoruba-Cuban percussion; Rich Robinson, Yoruba-Cuban percussion; Ira Bond, Yoruba-Cuban percussion; Matt Engle, bass; Dan Scofield, alto saxophone; Todd Margasak, cornet

Later that night Sonny Fortune

Saturday night early

Andrea Centazzo, acoustic & digital percussion

Perry Robinson, clarinet

Nobu Stowe, piano

Saturday late - Sonny Fortune again!!