What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Tomorrow: SFJAZZ Collective performing selections from Joe Henderson's "Page One" in SFJAZZ's intimate 'Joe Henderson Lab'. 

Friday: Wayne Shorter Quartet in SFJAZZ Miner Auditorium.

I saw the Wayne Shorter Quartet there tonight, BFrank.  They are obviously a very cohesive group playing challenging music with much sincerity and commitment, and I'm glad to have seen them perform, but I must admit the music did not always connect with me.

It was the first concert I'd seen in the Miner Auditorium.  A very nice venue, indeed, with very good acoustics.  Even the cheap seats in the balcony are good.  I will be back there next week to see the SF JAZZ Collective's concert featuring the music of Michael Jackson.

I saw the show tonight and now I know what you're saying about Wayne. I thought the first half of the show was a little unfocused and Wayne seemed to be having trouble getting going on tenor sax. He played very little and when he did he was almost playing in a whisper. You could hardly hear him, especially when the band opened up and played more intensely. He seemed to find himself by switching to soprano during the second half.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JEAN TOUSSAINT’S BLAKEY PROJECT at Sheffield Crucible

Jean Toussaint: saxophones; Byron Wallen: trumpet; Dennis Rollins: trombone; Julian Joseph: piano; Daniel Casimir: bass; Troy Miller: drums.

Was a bit hesitant about this one...we get so much repertory jazz on the circuit in the UK, recreating the great bands of the past, that I thought it might be a bit dull.

Wrong! As Toussaint made clear from the start when describing why he put the project together, this is joyous music that just deserves to be heard live. Sensibly most of the programme sought out tunes that you don't hear played a great deal, saving up 'Moanin'' and 'Blues March' for the end. 

A great band. I'm only really familiar with Wallen who I used to see a fair bit at Cheltenham and Bath. I think Rollins must have played at every jazz festival I've ever been to yet I've never seen him before. Special credit to the young bass player and drummer (who I think was someone different from the listed name). Both pulled off really engaging solos in much more experienced company. Both not long out of college. 

Biggest surprise for me was Julian Joseph. Seems to have been around forever both as player and jazz radio host. I have a CD of his from the 90s but he's never really caught my ear but last night he was superb. Some beautiful solos where he seemed to be in that mid-60s Herbie Hancock world, floating impressionistic chords over highly rhythmic music. And his gospel-drenched prelude to 'Moanin'' was worth the trip alone. 

Great to see a bunch of musicians so clearly enjoying themselves and encouraging one another. Lots of variety in the solo order - the first tune had just bass and drum solos with none of the front line featured. 

Seem to be playing widely in the UK at present (though I don't think Joseph is a regular). An entertaining evening guaranteed.    

That's a show that's definitely worth seeing. Some of the numbers they do are from the more obscure Blue Note albums e,g, The Freedom Rider. Wallen is quite an interesting player of late, definitely a hint of Dizzy Reece in his style.

When I saw them they had Shane Forbes on drums and a different pianist to Julian Joseph (Andrew McCormack I think).

Check out also Dennis Rollins' Power trio with Ross Stanley on organ. Recommended !

Edited by sidewinder

The drummer was very young and Toussaint said it was his first gig with the band (Joseph's too). They played in Marsden last week on the day after I left and I think Jason Rebello was on piano...another name from one of the past periods of jazz popularity in the UK.

Meant to say the venue was packed and the audience ecstatic. I go to so many thinly attended jazz concerts it was great to see this (similarly at Marsden last week).  

Here's a VERY entertaining 2 1/2 minutes of Brian Blade from the Wayne Shorter show I saw on Friday.
You might have to be on Facebook to see it.

FB not required it would seem . Fun indeed. I've only ever seen this band once, about ten years ago, and the thing that stood out most for me on the night was Blade. He did something very similar that night too

Here's a VERY entertaining 2 1/2 minutes of Brian Blade from the Wayne Shorter show I saw on Friday.
You might have to be on Facebook to see it.

FB not required it would seem . Fun indeed. I've only ever seen this band once, about ten years ago, and the thing that stood out most for me on the night was Blade. He did something very similar that night too

Interesting! He IS a pretty aggressive drummer, so I can see why it might not be the first time that happened.

Will be seeing in Paris...

Tonight:

NICOLE MITCHELL flûte, CHRISTOPHE ROCHER clarinettes, TOMEKA REID violoncelle, AVREEAYL RA batterie

Followed by THIRD COAST ENSEMBLE directed by ROB MAZUREK

Monday:

Golden Quartet
Wadada Leo Smith, trompette et électronique
Anthony Davis, piano
John Lindberg, contrebasse
Mike Reed, batterie

Duet
Roscoe Mitchell, saxophones et flûte
Mike Reed, batterie

Double-Up
Henry Threadgill, composition et direction musicale
Roman Filiu, Curtis Macdonald, saxophone alto
David Bryant, David Virelles, piano
Christopher Hoffman, violoncelle
Jose Davila, tuba et trombone
Craig Weinrib, batterie

Looks like a plan.

AACM at 50 celebration concert was a very special moment! Roscoe Mitchell was extraordinary in the old and fancy high ceiling concert hall, but all acts were truly memorable. Where is this celebration tour going to next?

therails15_sp.jpg

The Rails at The Glee Club (in a yuppified canal warehouse in Nottingham, interior design by Gropius, it would seem)

Kami Thompson (daughter of Richard and Linda) and James Walbourne doing an all acoustic convert - voices and two guitars - rather than the more electric folk approach of their album.

Opener was Zak Hobbs who was...wait for it...the grandson of R + T (by another daughter, I think). Very young...don't think he is out of his teens...but an enormously accomplished guitarist who had clearly spend a lot of time studying the Vincent Black Lightning style. Good voice and a strong songwriter already - only the lyrics give away the youth which were understandably about the things an 18-or-a-bit-more-year-old worries about.

The Rails were excellent - Walbourne is a superb guitar player, a style evolved without the influence of his father-in-law, though fitting perfectly into the folky style of the songs. The two voices blend beautifully - Kami's voice eerily recalls her mother, especially when singing harmony. Think those mid 70s acoustic duo R+T live tracks that you can hear on things like RT's 'Guitar/Vocal' compilation. Except that James is a much better singer than RT. 

Very impressive concert with no playing on the family name. Kami mentioned her mum once, Zak made a couple of mentions of being part of the Thompson tribe. But overall, they were flying by their own talents. 

Saw the SF JAZZ Collective in SF tonight.  Their featured composer this year is Michael Jackson.  Due to heavier than expected traffic and the parking angels looking upon me with less charity this week, I arrived about halfway into the first number, an MJ tune I recognized, but could not name.  They also played his, "Blame It On The Boogie", "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" and "Thriller" (complete with Vincent Price voice over).  Band member originals included a very good piece by Edward Simon called "The Beauty of Space", "Fall Prelude" by Miguel Zenon, "Grey Skies In Baltimore" by Warren Wolf and "Franklin and Fell" by Sean Jones.

Saw the SF JAZZ Collective in SF tonight.  Their featured composer this year is Michael Jackson.  Due to heavier than expected traffic and the parking angels looking upon me with less charity this week, I arrived about halfway into the first number, an MJ tune I recognized, but could not name.  They also played his, "Blame It On The Boogie", "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" and "Thriller" (complete with Vincent Price voice over).  Band member originals included a very good piece by Edward Simon called "The Beauty of Space", "Fall Prelude" by Miguel Zenon, "Grey Skies In Baltimore" by Warren Wolf and "Franklin and Fell" by Sean Jones.

I just saw on Twitter that Sean Jones wrote a tune called "Franklin and Fell" - very appropriate!

I'm sure that part of the traffic problem was that Elvis Costello was across the street at the Nourse Theater doing an interview for his new book.

elvis

Last night at the Earshot Jazz Festival in Seattle, a great set by Tomeka Reid, cello; Nicole Mitchell, flute; and Mike Reed, drums.  To celebrate the AACM's fiftieth anniversary, they played pieces by various AACM composers.

Heard that trio in Chicago a few weeks ago. Very fine. Great that they're taking it on the road.

Last night at the Earshot Jazz Festival in Seattle, a great set by Tomeka Reid, cello; Nicole Mitchell, flute; and Mike Reed, drums.  To celebrate the AACM's fiftieth anniversary, they played pieces by various AACM composers.

Heard that trio in Chicago a few weeks ago. Very fine. Great that they're taking it on the road.

Their 482 CD is on the way to me.

Attending a three day seminar in New York; that plus the weekend means five evenings to hear live music.

Starting out last Tuesday with Caroline Davis at the Bar Next Door for a set of Lee Konitz associated material. Next, to the 55 Bar for two sets of Leni Stern and her fusion of jazz and African music--with George Brooks on tenor sax, James Genus on bass guitar, and Alione Faye on percussion. Excellent music, very light attendance.

Wednesday night, starting at the Why Not Cafe to hear Israeli guitarist Yosi Levy on solo acoustic guitar. A new name to me, I attended based on reading Dave Liebman's rave recommendation, and the concert proved him to be correct. The repertoire was a mixture of jazz standards, Israeli folk songs, and Beatles songs. Next, more guitar, in the form of a short walk down Christopher Street back to the 55 Bar, this night to hear the Mike Stern Trio. And a mighty trio it proved to be, with Francois Moutin on acoustic bass and Kim Thompson on drums, both sets were blazing, and the room was packed.

Thursday night, to Jazz Standard to hear two sets by the Charles McPherson Quintet, with Brian Lynch, Jeb Patton, Ray Drummond and Billy Drummond. Mr. McPherson sounds good still--the highlights of the first set being Lush Life and Nature Boy, but overall the group was a bit restrained in the first set. The second set proved to be superior--especially the final succession of songs, an original (Nightfall), then Off Minor, Anthropology and Parker's Mood (the best performance of the night from the leader) as an encore.

Friday night, to Community Church of New York for one of the 50th Anniversary AACM concerts. A two part concert, first up was Steve and Iqua Colson, with Reggie Workman, Andrew Cyrille and Marlene Rice (violin). I wasn't familiar with Iqua Colson, but she turned out to sing okay, and the band sounded wonderful. Next up was a bold percussion composition entitled Calder by George Lewis. This proved to be a very compelling piece, featuring George Lewis on trombone and percussion, Thurman Barker on vibes and percussion, Tyshawn Sorey on vibes, percussion, piano and trombone, and Eli Fountain on percussion. It was still early, so next up was Petros Klampanis at the Corneila Street Cafe, with a quintet  featuring Gilad Hekselman on guitar. I enjoyed this group and wished I heard more than one set.

Finally, Saturday night, to the rarefied realm of Dizzy's. Normally, I prefer humbler settings, but this was advertised as a 50th Anniversary reunion of the group that John Handy led at the 1965 Monterey Jazz Festival. As I love that record and group, I was excited at the prospect, mixed with trepidation at the ages of the group members (Handy is 82). It proved to be a kind of bait and switch on the club's part, as on the day of the appearance the website posted different personnel (David Hazeltine on piano, Rufus Reid and Victor Lewis). Nonetheless, having only seen John Handy once many years ago, I decided to attend (Rufus Reid and Victor Lewis are hardly a group to complain about), and was very pleased to find John Handy in very lively and virtuosic form. In fact, he seemed fully in possession of the skills displayed on his own recordings and his sideman appearances with Mingus--he even still has the ultra-high range on alto. So the set proved to be quite pleasing, except perhaps for an inexplicable diversion in the form of a guest vocalist for two songs. The highlights were assuredly a raga based composition that Handy had performed with Ali Akbar Khan, in this case featuring extended beautiful bass from Rufus Reid. And finally, as the last song, in a nod to the supposed anniversary, Handy actually played Spanish Lady, and, he was not merely going through the motions, as this version was friggin' great.

I perhaps should have stopped there, but it was still fairly early, so after exiting the shopping mall in which Jazz at Lincoln Center is located, I trekked to Smalls and heard a set by the Duane Eubanks Quintet, with Abraham Burton, David Bryant, Gerald Cannon and Byron Landham. Another time, I would have enjoyed this more, so I called it a night/trip after one set.

Edited by kh1958

Not tonight, but the weekend now past, this is my facebook post: Just returned from 2 refreshing days of music and friendship at events build around Wadada Leo Smith at the University of Chicago. Formal discussions, Artwork exhibitions, Golden Quartet concert, solo trumpet concert and refreshed friendships with Wadada, Sarhanna, Kashala and all the children. Hal Rammel, my friend since '67 was also there. Thanks to Wadada Leo Smith for all.

At the Earshot Jazz Festival Saturday, an 80th birthday tribute to Julian Priester.  It included a short set by Julian's quartet, with Dawn Clement, piano; Geoff Harper, bass; and Byron Vannoy, drums.  Then Julian played a trombone duet with Stuart Dempster and was serenaded with a birthday song by a "trombone choir."

Last night, two great sets by the Jessica Lurie Instant Light Ensemble, with Jessica Lurie, tenor sax, accordion, flute; Bill Horist, guitar; Rene Hart, bass; and Tarik Abouzied, drums.