The most consistent Blue Note 50's and 60's leader

Alon Marcus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horace Silver - because his sessions always featured a working band, not just a studio lineup - and he composed all of the stuff, too.

With this in mind, Blakey comes in 2nd - but he was with other labels in between and was not a composer.

Being with one label for such a long time span, and being such a great bandleader and composer at the same time, makes Horace unique.

All the great ones have been mentioned, one seems to have been overlooked:

SONNY CLARK

His BN album track records is impeccable:

Dial S For Sonny

Sonny's Crib

Sonny Clark Trio

Cool Struttin'

Leapin' And Lopin'

All goodies...

:tup

And consider L. Donaldson, B. Mitchell, G. Green, Turrentine Bros and J. Patton. A never ending thread...

Edited by porcy62

l. morgan isnt as 'consisent' in that he altered the conception of hard bop more than hank or horace. i reaffim the hank/horace ruling

First the Red Sox win the World Series, now Aric agrees with me.

The end is near, I tells ya! And here's another clue. Anyone seen Shurdlu lately? It probably turned out he was the only one right with the Lord, so he's the only one raptured out of the joint.

:g

SONNY CLARK

Dial S For Sonny

Sonny's Crib

Sonny Clark Trio

Cool Struttin'

Leapin' And Lopin'

All goodies...

And consider L. Donaldson, B. Mitchell, G. Green, Turrentine Bros and J. Patton. A never ending thread...

:huh:

You really think so.

Shorter, Hancock, Blakey and Horace recorded long strings of good albums.

But the rest of the guys mentioned...

Sometimes good records, sometimes mediocre (you can argue that even the mediocre BN is better than anything else).

Sorry I can't agree that Donaldson and G.Green were as consistant in high quality as the others.

SONNY CLARK

Dial S For Sonny

Sonny's Crib

Sonny Clark Trio

Cool Struttin'

Leapin' And Lopin'

All goodies...

:huh:

You really think so.

Shorter, Hancock, Blakey and Horace recorded long strings of good albums.

But the rest of the guys mentioned...

Sometimes good records, sometimes mediocre (you can argue that even the mediocre BN is better than anything else).

Sorry I can't agree that Donaldson and G.Green were as consistant in high quality as the others.

I agree with you: Shorter, Hancock, Blakey and Horace, (I would add Hill, McLean and S. Rivers) are giants, and their better output is on BN. On the other hand a lot of names mentioned above have their better output on BN.

Anyway I am with you, if I have to chose...

Joe Henderson! Although he made only 5 Blue Note albums as a leader, all are essential in my opinion. I feel the same way about Kenny Dorham's Blue Note sessions as well. Consistently very good and occasionally great.

I'll give another plug for Henderson just because he hasn't been mentioned much. His string a Blue Notes is just beautiful. So were his contributions to other Blue Note dates. Joe Henderson was a study in consistency.

exactly about Joe, count 6 for the 1985 set...........

Yeah, I had forgotten about the '85 set I guess because I was concentrating on the string of mid '60s dates. Interesting too because I was fortunate enough to have been at the Vanguard in '85 during the week that Henderson recorded with the trio.

l. morgan isnt as 'consisent' in that he altered the conception of hard bop more than hank or horace. i reaffim the hank/horace ruling

Well, if Dan won't disagree with you, I will. So waht if Lee "altered the conception of hard bop." I see an evolution of musical expression in Lee's dates as a leader, but I also see in that a consistency of musical thinking that produced many fine albums over many years, somewhat in the same way that Horace Silver continued to develop his blues and funk based work. Ditto Hutcherson (a good call BTW). Ditto Mclean too-- don't you think that Jackie really moved hard bop to a new place?

Or are y'all saying that Hank, Art, Jackie, et al, simply made the same record over and over? Ironically, in another thread, someone accused Lee of doing that (which of course would make him "consistent" in that meaning of the word).

There is no way I could pick any one artist. The ones that strike me as most consistently exciting as leaders who had enough dates to really qualify (to me, 2 or 3 leader recordings is not really worthy of consideration in this category) - in no particular order:

McLean

Shorter

Henderson

Rivers

Mobley

Hill

Hutcherson

Hubbard

Sonny Clark

One could probably include Morgan, Blakey, and Silver in there but honestly while I really enjoy many of their recordings, many others are just middling (Silver tailed off toward the end for sure, and Morgan had a doldrums period with uneven records in the middle to late 60s - obligatory rerun "Sidewinder" track leading off every record, for example, to lesser and lesser effect) and they fell closer to hard bop conventions on quite a few occasions. So less consistent. For Blakey I would personally say the sextet period with Curtis Fuller would qualify for a sub-set of his output that was fabulously consistently great.

In the mood I've been in lately - I'd pick Shorter.

Edited by DrJ

It's mind bogglin' to me that Art Blakey, the personification of Blue Note sound wasn't picked by all or at the top of the list. He is Mr. Blue Note. Aside from Horace, every one else one basically springs from him. As far as consistently high quality recordings (and these were not middling at best) look at his late 50s material, starting with Moaning and just continuing on. It can't be topped in my opinion. He was basically a finishing school for would be leaders.

It's mind bogglin' to me that Art Blakey, the personification of Blue Note sound wasn't picked by all or at the top of the list. He is Mr. Blue Note. Aside from Horace, every one else one basically springs from him. As far as consistently high quality recordings (and these were not middling at best) look at his late 50s material, starting with Moaning and just continuing on. It can't be topped in my opinion. He was basically a finishing school for would be leaders.

Leeway posted this on Dec 16:

As leaders, Art Blakey & Horace Silver tied for first place, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, and Wayne Shorter in a respectable second.

It's mind bogglin' to me that Art Blakey, the personification of Blue Note sound wasn't picked by all or at the top of the list.  He is Mr. Blue Note.  Aside from Horace, every one else one basically springs from him.  As far as consistently high quality recordings (and these were not middling at best) look at his late 50s material, starting with Moaning and just continuing on.  It can't be topped in my opinion.  He was basically a finishing school for would be leaders.

Leeway posted this on Dec 16:

As leaders, Art Blakey & Horace Silver tied for first place, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, and Wayne Shorter in a respectable second.

Yes, I thought I was clear but guess not. I know some of you picked him but not many. That's what I found (find) amazing.