Overlooked Guitarists

Brad

In light of the discussion on the Wes and Grant thread, I thought this thread might be overdue. I also believe Jim R mentioned that there are a lot of other guitarists that are worthy of mention so here goes.

Two that come to mind for me are Joe Puma and Billy Bauer, although probably less overlooked than Joe Puma.

I recently listened to Joe Puma on Webster Young's For Lady. I also have Eddie Bert's Encore and was suitably impressed at the time by his contributions. He's not flashy but I like his style.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Puma, YES! Great, lyric guitarist, played a piece at Bill Evans's funeral that was surreal in its beauty - I remember it well more than 20 years later -

Al Gaffa - worked with Dizzy, Al Haig -

Tiny Moore (played with Bob Wills, and could really play bebop) -

Junior Barnard (also played with Wills - first rock and roll guitarist, in my opinion, used distortion in 1945!)

Joe Cinderella - great and adventurous stuff with Gil Melle -

Edited by AllenLowe

There's a Chuck Wayne/Joe Puma LP, "Interactions" (Choice), where on "Body and Soul" Puma plays one of the best solos I've ever heard on that piece from any instrumentalist. Haven't heard enough Puma, though, to say whether he was consistently at that level; I recall other recordings where he seemed rather bland.

Another guy who qualifies, though there's not that much available, is Skeeter Best. He had a unique sound -- kind of sophisticated low-key "skrontch," if that makes any sense -- and laid-back phrasing to match. He's great with that Lucky Thompson trio with Pettiford, almost entirely as an accompanist I think, but his contribution is felt, and can be heard some as a soloist on that Granz Modern Jazz Giants date with Dizzy, Stitt, and John Lewis. If there's more good Best available, I love to know about it.

Nice idea, Brad. :tup Are there more overlooked guitarists than overlooked altoists? :) I really don't know where to begin. You could almost have a thread for each decade (and even then you might have a long discussion).

Some great players already mentioned, and I have to say that it's good to see Billy Bean's name come up. He was very influential on a lot of players, in a sort of "underground" way. He never really found the spotlight, and of course is one of those who gave up playing as a career. The Riverside/OJC "The Trio" album is well worth checking out (and not just to hear Bean- that was a really a nice group, IMO).

Barry Galbraith was such a great player. He graces many a session as a sideman, but it's too bad he didn't record more under his own leadership. I recently picked up Hank Jones' Capitol twofer "The Talented Touch / Porgy And Bess", and Galbraith shines on the former (Burrell was on the P&B session).

Another great player who was underappreciated for years is Rene Thomas. Fortunately, a lot of his work (both as a leader and sideman) has become available in recent years, and he's beginning to get more attention.

Sal Salvador did some very cool stuff (love that solo he took on the Newport film "Jazz On A Summer's Day").

I don't think Barney Kessel (especially his Contemporary recordings) gets enough praise and attention these days. Along with Burrell, a master player who was also a prolific recording artist over a very long period of time.

Ed Bickert. Love his work with Paul Desmond.

A great player who was highly influenced by Billy Bean is Louis Stewart. A very versatile player who worked and recorded in a great variety of contexts.

For those who dig the predominantly single-line oriented style, and who prefer the 50's/60's approach, check out the vastly overlooked Joshua Breakstone, who has been recording since the early 80's. Marvelous musician with a sound that becomes very distinct once you listen for awhile.

Brad, consider that we haven't yet scratched the surface. :)

I think a lot of the people here would dig Joshua Breakstone (if they don't already)...

A selected discography:

1983- Wonderful! (Sonora, LP only)

1984- 4 / 4=1 (Sonora)

1987- Echoes (Contemporary)

1987- Evening Star (Contemporary)

1989- Self Portrait In Swing (Contemporary)

1990- 9 X 3 (Contemporary)

1991- Walk Don't Run (Evidence)

1993- Sittin' On The Thing With Ming (Capri)

1993- Remembering Grant Green (Paddle Wheel / Evidence)

1996- Let's Call This Monk! (Double Time)

1999- This Just In... (Double Time)

2000- The Music Of Bud Powell (Double Time)

2001- Tomorrow's Hours (Capri)

The earlier recordings for Sonora and Contemporary (with artists like Barry Harris, Pepper Adams, Tommy Flanagan, Jimmy Knepper, and Kenny Barron) are OOP, but worth looking for. :tup

When you have a chance, there's plenty of info here:

http://www.joshuabreakstone.com/

Jim,

I've heard of him but never heard him so I'm taking your list and will be checking it out. I already have a bead on the Monk cd.

I hope you'll enjoy him, Brad. One of those Monk tracks was on my BFT, so I suppose you're getting as forgetful as I am. :g

I would have second, third, or whatever the recommendation for Barry Galbraith.

A player that hasn't been mentioned yet, which I'm guilty of ignoring as well, is Joe Diorio. Everything I've ever heard by the man has made a positive impression on me. Recommendations would be welcome.

There's a set of Joe Diorio / Ira Sullivan duets on the Ram label that's worth hunting down. THE BREEZE AND I. Sullivan sticks to reeds throughout. Very fine, relaxed but still inventive.

How about early bopper Bill DeArango?