Andrew Hill Select "talk about THE MUSIC" thread

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay I'm about halfway through disc 3...

and I have to admit I did glance at some of the earlier posts...

At first listen....

very UNEVEN!!!!!!!!! some tracks exquisitely composed/melodic and some ALL OVER THE PLACE.... I try not to be too pre-disposed to so called "free jazz" but I find the moments of "free jazz" in this set - very poor....

I must say I'm a bit disappointed... Kinda makes me understand why they initially released "the best material".... Very, very uneven....

Now I have to back and read you people's arguments.... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just got through repeated spins of disk 1 and a spin of disk 2 and already the verdict is a big thumbs up. Release of the year so far, for me.

Big impression of disk 1 is just how funky it is. Reminds me quite a bit of 'Grass Roots', same sort of groove. A bit ragged in spots but overall - excelent. Some very catchy tunes too, level of composition very high.

Big suprise hearing Andrew on organ on CD 2. Immediate connections for me with the sound of Sun Ra but yes, definitely also a hint of Larry Young. The Kermit Moore string quartet material I knew from the vinyl double but 'Illusion' sounds absolutely beautiful. Malcolm Addey has done a great job with the mastering.

Five Stars ! :wub:

Edited by sidewinder

Just got my set on Friday and have listened to it all the way through. Sidewinder pretty much nails it. Great compositions & good sound. Beyond essential for Hill fans. 5 stars or close for Discs 1&2; I'm a little less impressed with Disc 3 on first listen, but it has its moments too, especially Woody Shaw and Hill's crazy organ sounds! Love that. But the "Chained" session from Disc 2 is my favorite from first impressions. Ron Carter was a monster in this days (on both Discs 1&2). Dig Teddy Robinson too, and Bennie Maupin. Very strong.

• 2 months later...

I did a search here, but couldn't find anything.

Is Cascade from Passing Ships the same composition as Without Malice from the Mosaic Select? :blink:

They have the same head. Cascade is a little slower, but they sound like the same tune to these ears.

Edited by Jim Dye

Is Cascade from Passing Ships the same composition as Without Malice from the Mosaic Select:blink:

They have the same head. Cascade is a little slower, but they sound like the same tune to these ears.

Yup, same tune. Not sure that I was the first to notice, but I was the first to post about it --- HERE and HERE.

Great tune!!

Just got this in the mail today....only just put it on. But right off the bat...it's hot. Diddy Wah is just as funky in the most non-chiche' way as music could be. Hill's world is a speacial one that's always an ear and mind-opender.

This is sure to be one of the all-time great Mosaics.

All the material was issued in a set of Taiwanese-only 3 3/4 ips reel-to-reel albums between 1971 & 1973. So if you've got that series (and most serious collectors do), you're covered unless the improved sound quality of Space Age Digital Remastering is of any concern to you.

I've also heard rumors of an Argentine-only 16 2/3 RPM box set from 1974, but rumors are all they are.

The 1965 session first issued on One For One was in the "big" Mosaic box. The later parts of One For One came out on the Mosaic Select set.

See the Andrew Hill discography on my website for full details.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

All the material was issued in a set of Taiwanese-only 3 3/4 ips reel-to-reel albums between 1971 & 1973. So if you've got that series (and most serious collectors do), you're covered unless the improved sound quality of Space Age Digital Remastering is of any concern to you.

I've also heard rumors of an Argentine-only 16 2/3 RPM box set from 1974, but rumors are all they are.

Don't forget the Be Your Own Andrew Hill (BN period) kit issued by John Cage Productions. It included a self assembly piano stool and a cracked fish tank full of broken biscuits. It sounded great in quadrophonic sound but doesn't rechannel well into a 5.1 system (I realise not everyone has 5.1 but I don't want anyone to sink a bucket of $$$ on ebay to get this set and be disappointed with the sound...).

Fischer Price also had a VERY limited edition of the material listed in the Mosaic Select, for their short lived "My First Reel to Reel Player," decked out in candy red and yellow. Complaints from parents and lack of knowledge (and responsibility) of how to use the machine led it to being pulled from the shelves after a few months. These suckers run for 4 figures on ebay, and let's not even talk about the music issued for this format!

Fischer Price also had a VERY limited edition of the material listed in the Mosaic Select, for their short lived "My First Reel to Reel Player," decked out in candy red and yellow.  Complaints from parents and lack of knowledge (and responsibility) of how to use the machine led it to being pulled from the shelves after a few months.  These suckers run for 4 figures on ebay, and let's not even talk about the music issued for this format!

I'm lucky enough to have in my possession the original "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" issued in this format, along with the accompanying Iron Butterfly coloring book. Don't even THINK about making me an offer.

Yeah, everybody digs The 1910 Fruitgum Company & The Ohio Express, but anybody who knows anything about anything knows that the REAL action was with The Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus.

Wow! hadn't heard that name in ages! So, which version of Simon Says rates?

1910 or the K-K version?

---

Now playing: Mahmoud Ahmed - Alémyé