Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tex, you wanna help some of these fellas out? The furriners I can sorta see being a little puzzled but even so... I dunno how much more obvious I coulda been but this is too weird/funny to just say now. (Catesta: we know, we know, we're talking real farmers.. when I get back, maybe we can do our Community Service together on the Queens County Farm. (There's a ton of taquerias in Queens now but nothing outstanding that I know about... best bet is head back to yr old 'hood, thru Glendale & then cut over to Bushwick, take the back way by Cypress Cemetary & cruise down Wyckoff, then go a few blocks over, check out the Knickerbocker scene... for pizza in Queens, it sounds TOTALLY fuckin' absurd I know but to go O'Neill's over in Maspeth. Hard as hell to find & who ever heard of genius pizza in an Irish surf & turf sports bar w/an OTB window but I swear it's true. You can thank me later, amigo. (Eat at Joe's in Ridgewood-- the little, old place on Forest closer to Myrtle, not the fake fancy new one further up-- too.)))

triple-parentheses, wow.

clem

texas ex-

I"ve not scored any "real" Mexican since I've been back. I've even expanded my search to include Longisland.

I was at O'Neill's just a couple of weeks ago. I'll give the pizza a try next time I'm around there. I may even stop by on Saturday since I will be in Middle Village paying my respects at St. John Cemetery.

Well aware of Joe's, and yes it's gotta be the old one.

Good to see you back on the board.

What are you guys bitching about?  It's just taking longer than expected for Vincent Wilburn to wipe out DeJohnette's drum track and record himself over it, that's all.

No big deal.  Patience is a virtue.

Bertrand.

At least Wilburn doesn't have "My Sharona" on his resume, like the guy who Douglas used on the Hendrix reissues. To further open up a new audience for this release, they could wipe out Gary Bartz, replace his parts with Mindi Abair, and redo the cover. For that matter, Miles himself looked sort of spooky and haggard during this period. Better to wipe him out and replace with Jeremy Davenport. Wipe out Jarrett, and replace with, oh, David Benoit or someone. Get Stanley Clarke to redo the bass parts. And there you have it - "Miles Davis, the Complete Cellar Door Sessions - Remixed". Coming to a smooth jazz station near you.

As a preview / tease / set promotion / tribute / whatever, some intrepid soul has uploaded onto the Internet CD1 on the Cellar Door set.  The RARed file is 78 MB in size and password protected.  To get the password, send me a PM and I'll pass it along to you from the uploader
Gosh, I know someone who's had the complete set uploaded to his site for a few weeks now...

:ph34r:

There's an update on miles beyond

http://www.miles-beyond.com/news.htm

November

The latest news in the Cellar Door boxed set saga: a new release date has been set for December 17, though the 27th has also been mentioned. I'm still waiting for official confirmation from Sony Columbia, but given the events of the last months, that would hardly set things in stone. The problem remains the Miles Davis Estate, and mainly Miles's nephew, Vince Wilburn. A few weeks before the original release date last September he wanted the credits of Adam Holzman and Bob Belden changed from 'produced by' to 'compiled by.' Understandably, this was not something these two, or Sony, were happy about. Moreover, the Cellar Door set had been more than five years in the making, so the timing of the demand reeked of a hidden agenda.

When I asked one of my informants, who is very close to the fire, what's behind Wilburn's demand, he simply replied, 'God knows.' My own, entirely speculative, take on it is that Wilburn has a love/hate relationship with his uncle and his music. On the one hand he owes his entire income and reputation to his uncle (what noteworthy things has Wilburn done on his own since 1987?)—on the other Miles hurt Wilburn badly when he sacked him from his band in 1987. By all accounts Wilburn never fully recovered from this—see the story of The Last Word, the Warners boxed set that was repeatedly delayed and in the end torpedoed by the Estate, alledgedly with Wilburn at the controls. Why the rest of Miles's family, including his son Erin, puts up with Wilburn obstructing Miles releases nobody really knows.

Certainly Sony has been reluctant to put up with Wilburn's last-minute changes of heart, but while the company has the full rights to the recording and can do what it wants with it, the company apparently feels that it can't simply go against the wishes of the Estate. (That's not even talking about the physical threats that Wilburn is said to have made against some of those involved.)

Whatever way, initially a compromise was found, whereby a sticker would be added to the already printed boxed set, saying 'compiled by Bob Belden and Adam Holzman.' This led to the November 22 release date. Then Wilburn again threw, as it was put, a 'kibosh.' The exact nature of the new compromise that has led to the planned late December release date is unclear, but probably involves a fresh art work re-print.

Of course it's possible that the Estate will have another last-minute change of mind, which would spell the end of the Cellar Door. That would be very bad news indeed, for, as one informant told me, if the Cellar Door doesn't come out, it may well mean the end of any more new Miles Davis releases, and would almost certainly terminate the boxed sets series. So fingers crossed that common sense, and respect for Miles's music and legacy, prevail.