The Gasoline Blues

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much is gasoline goin' for in your neck of the woods?

$2.20 seems to be the going rate in tucson

it should not cost over $20 to fill a freakin' honda civic

It costs a lot more to fill a Honda Accord and I'm certainly not happy about it. How come we don't hear the SUV owners screaming?

Two days ago, I heard a woman complain about filling up her Minivan.

She said that it costs her $40 each time...and she has to do this twice a week!

I fill the Prius up about every 4 to 6 weeks for, now, about $20.

Cheapest grade is about $2.15 here.

How come we don't hear the SUV owners screaming?

They're certainly starting to scream around here, and I work for one of the Big 2.5 ... earlier this week a guy was telling me it cost him $75 each time he fills up. Of course, we need people to do more than just scream about it.

Around here it's up to $2.40/gallon, and that's at the cheaper stations. Not for the first time, I wonder how high it has to go before people finally stop buying SUV's. I see lot's of Prius's and other hybrids around here, but there are no shortage of enormous SUV's and even the occasional Hummer. :blink:

This is what happens when we build our society around the automobile. As a result, the government needs to do some managing (whatever that means) of the price of gasoline.

Trouble is it seems not to be interested in this concept.

Seems that Cars and Oil are linked with society and politics and it is difficult to change these things ;)

Che.

If I use my car it's 89 and a bit pence per litre. Which means it's approx £3.43 per US Gallon. About $6.45 per US Gallon yikes.gif

On a run using between 15 and 18 to the gallon (depending on how much I use the squeeze/lift off/pops & bangs over-run :g ) this is scary expensive.

In the family motor we can use the regular unleaded at 87p per litre :rolleyes: which isn't a great saving.

I want gas prices to go through the roof! Maybe super-high gas prices will wake up all these crazy SUV drivers around Boston. I drive my Prius along and I'm literally surrounded by behemouths. I figure if I get in a "fender bender" with one of these beasts, I'm getting a bumper in the head.

Where the hell is our government in this fiasco? The cafe standards were allowed to expire and this is the result. The car manufacturers were supposed to be working to make more fuel-efficient cars. Now that the CAFE standards were allowed to lapse, cars just keep getting bigger & bigger.

Just the other day, a guy I play volleyball with was telling me they can't enough V8 Mustangs in. He complained that they couldn't sell the V6 versions for nothing. The thing is, the V6 version has balls! It can smoke most cars. But people want that V8.

Make gas $5. Maybe then people will think about conserving.

Kevin

so how does the stereo sound in that prius? got to be good since the things are so quiet.

really, the only useful thing about driving is the toonz. i finally had a longish drive the other nite in the monsoon and was so completely blown away by Tony Williams' solo on "Olliloqui Valley" that I had to play it three times! :excited:

I want gas prices to go through the roof! Maybe super-high gas prices will wake up all these crazy SUV drivers around Boston. I drive my Prius along and I'm literally surrounded by behemouths. I figure if I get in a "fender bender" with one of these beasts, I'm getting a bumper in the head.

Where the hell is our government in this fiasco? The cafe standards were allowed to expire and this is the result. The car manufacturers were supposed to be working to make more fuel-efficient cars. Now that the CAFE standards were allowed to lapse, cars just keep getting bigger & bigger.

Just the other day, a guy I play volleyball with was telling me they can't enough V8 Mustangs in. He complained that they couldn't sell the V6 versions for nothing. The thing is, the V6 version has balls! It can smoke most cars. But people want that V8.

Make gas $5. Maybe then people will think about conserving.

Kevin

I was just noticing while driving home this evening that it seems like one in every three vehicles I passed or that where in front of me where SUVs.

As Jazz Kat said, it's just a game of "keepin' up with the Jones's." People don't think.

Yup, and $5/gal. gas won't faze 'em a bit.

Isn’t this starting to be reminiscent of the 70’s gas shortage? People still bought the big gas guzzling cars, yet still bought gas like it was no big deal. History repeating itself, I s’pose. (Of course, now the conservatives won’t be able to use the phrase, “Do you want high gas prices?” as a scare tactic anymore.)

Yup, and $5/gal. gas won't faze 'em a bit.

Isn’t this starting to be reminiscent of the 70’s gas shortage? People still bought the big gas guzzling cars, yet still bought gas like it was no big deal. History repeating itself, I s’pose. (Of course, now the conservatives won’t be able to use the phrase, “Do you want high gas prices?” as a scare tactic anymore.)

I was around during those gas shortages. There weren't any cars out there that didn't guzzle gas! :) Well, maybe a Chevy Vega (gack!) or a Pinto (BOOM!) or a Beetle... but don't get rear-ended! :D

Back during those days, prices were around $.25 per gallon and maybe hit $.50 by the end of the late-70s. Gas was cheap. You could fill up your 25 gallon tank for $10. I remember my first car. A 1968 Chevy Impala. I could put $2 in it and drive around for the night.

I guess I'm just venting a bit. I am really sick of the huge SUVs around me. My admin went out and bought a Lincoln Navigator. She wanted to be "safe". Well, to hell with people like me, right? She might safe if hits me, but I'm likely dead. She says she gets around 10-12 mpg.

On top of that, our glorious political machine phases out tax incentives for fuel-efficient cars and then gives huge tax breaks to companies buying Hummers... but that's for the political forum.

Oh yeah, a guy at work who drives probably 35 miles each way just went and bought a Ford F350 4X4. The thing might get 9 mpg in rush hour. I wonder if he's regretting that purchase yet?

Kevin