Legacy reissues July 26

cayetano

Heh-heh...doubters of Dexter's period on Columbia simply haven't heard Homecoming yet.

Go out and get it. Dexter at this point had achieved a virtuosity that completely eclipses the rather simplistic (by comparison) Blue Note era stuff. And the Steeplechases simply didn't, for the most part, have the level of supporting cast Dexter had during the Columbia years.

I saw Dexter live during this period, I still have vivid images of it in my mind decades later - he was, as usual, stoned, and he absolutely was the best tenor on the planet at that time. No live date I've seen before or since - including Rollins, Mclean, Shorter, etc. - came even close.

Say what you will about Manhattan Symphonie (yes, it's a bit polished, but magnificent nonetheless), without it to bring Dexter back to the attention of the public, many thousands would never have had the once in a lifetime experience of seeing Dexter live during those years.

For that, I'll gladly give Sony a few bucks to pay my tributes when Manhattan Symphonie is reissued again.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Steeplechases simply didn't, for the most part, have the level of supporting cast Dexter had during the Columbia years.

:wacko::blink:

Kenny Drew and NHOP?

Tete Montoliu and NHOP?

I'll take them any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Cables and whoever else was in the Columbia era bands.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The September issue of Jazz Times has just arrived here and features reviews of the whole package. Mostly favourable.

Only complaint is that the Jamal has one track missing, "Slaughter on 10th Avenue". Seems they wanted to avoid making it a double, as was the case with the Woody Shaw.

What's with the Dex title?  I've heard mixed things... I'll get it nonetheless. 

Edit:  after reading your guys' comments, I'm thinking that it must be another Dex from the Columbia period that I've heard mixed things about.

The "mixed things" must have been "great" and "VERY GREAT"... Man, what a record! I can't get enough of that quartet w/Cables.

Questions for anyone who has the new Blakey CD -

What is this I see about "restored lead track"? I note a 7:42 timing for the track "The Sacrifice" which previously was 5:17. Sounds intriguing.....

Is recording studio/engineer given for these sessions?

Also, now that I think about it, it was a stupid move to include the Ira Sullivan tracks as bonus for this session. They belong on an expanded reissue of The Cool Voice of Rita Reys, since they were recorded at the same session (6/25/56). Has that album EVER seen US reissue?

Thanks -

Mike

BTW, my calculations show that at 10:16, "It All Comes Back To You" could have been kept in the Woody Shaw CD and still had the time under 80 minutes (79:23), but that was using the original timings from the LPs - why are the tunes now longer on the CD?

8:35 now 9:12; 11:03 now 11:16; 8:24 now 8:35; 11:07 now 11:14; and 0:58 now 1:00.

Explanation? Especially for the first one.

Mike

Questions for anyone who has the new Blakey CD -

What is this I see about "restored lead track"? I note a 7:42 timing for the track "The Sacrifice" which previously was 5:17. Sounds intriguing.....

Is recording studio/engineer given for these sessions?

Mike

Original recording engineer - Frank Laico

Beware the times listings. The Dexter lists "Body & Soul" on the back as 2:49. They have it right in the book by adding 10 minutes.

ed. - I threw the disc into iTunes just to check and it is indeed a 7:40ish long track. iTunes says

7:45. It may be adding the track gap.

Edited by Quincy

Mike,

Quincy said that he was able to load into into iTunes.  Note that he did not say he downloaded it, but I thought you couldn't even read the track info.

Sorry for delay, I got called away and stayed logged in.

As one who doesn't use an iPod I'm not following the copy protection details very carefully, but I checked the disc using a Mac rather than a PC. It seems to play fine, though I don't know about whether it will copy (and I doubt I'll try, with no iPod and all.)

Hmm, says the track title names aren't in the database on the first try. For some silly reason I tried it again and now it gives track names. And they're correct.

Edited by Quincy

Mike,

Quincy said that he was able to load into into iTunes.  Note that he did not say he downloaded it, but I thought you couldn't even read the track info.

Bertrand.

Everything works fine with a Mac, including the "loading to an iPod process..."