LEAST FAVORITE DRUMMERS

randissimo

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

I like my little drum machine - never plays too loud, stops when I tell it to, never speeds up or slows down, always on time to the gig -

Doesn't drink beer (and put it on your tab) or smoke crack either I'd bet...

Now that this thread has resurfaced I'll put in another :tdown vote for Billy Cobham. Back in the day, one of the worst shows I ever witnessed was the Cobham-Duke band. Whew! Talk about pompous overkill... John Scofield was the only bright spot in that band.

I saw Billy Cobham a few times with Mahavishnu, and he consistently made my jaw drop. An astounding, powerful drummer. I can't speak to what he did to make a living later on in the '70's - I know his Atlantic albums bore me.

Least favorite drummers? Jimmy Cobb (no personality, too rushed), Bobby Durham, Cindy Blackman.

Giving a quick perusal through this thread, I found negative comments about:

Pete LaRoca, Jimmy Cobb, Art Blakey, Art Taylor, Zutty Singleton, Louis Hayes, Wilbur Campbell, Philly Joe Jones, Billy Hart, and Roy Haynes.

You guys are a tough audience. :P

Every single drummer in existence famous or not is going to have somebody somewhere who doesn't like the way they play.. -_-

Now that this thread has resurfaced I'll put in another :tdown vote for Billy Cobham. Back in the day, one of the worst shows I ever witnessed was the Cobham-Duke band. Whew! Talk about pompous overkill... John Scofield was the only bright spot in that band.

Be that as it may...

Try this one, and in all liklihood all will be forgiven.

41yOIoK8BPL._SS500_.jpg

Drummers who speed up the tempo destroy the music for me. Peter Littman has this effect on some tracks on Chet Baker & Crew. Surprisingly, in view of his sterling work with Mingus, Danny Richmond does this on a Zoot Sims date, the name of which I can't recall, as I sold it on. But I wasn't alone in my reaction; even the sleeve note writer called Richmond's drumming "over-enthusiastic" or something of that sort. Anyone know this record and can give fuller details?

Edited by BillF

Big for that Cobham trio album above! A mighty fine one!

The Zoot Sims w/Dannie Richmond should be this one on Bethlehem:

Zoot Sims Quartet

Zoot Sims (ts) Dave McKenna (p) George Tucker (b) Dannie Richmond (d)

NYC, July, 1960

6578 Jive At Five Bethlehem 11094, BCP 6051

Jive At Five (alt. take) Bethlehem 20 40072

Doggin' Around Bethlehem 3012, BCP 6051

Doggin' Around (alt. take) Bethlehem 20 40072

Avalon Bethlehem BCP 6051

Avalon (alt. take) Bethlehem 20 40072

I Cried For You Bethlehem BCP 6051

Bill Bailey Bethlehem 3012, BCP 6051, BCP 6065

Bill Bailey (alt. take) Bethlehem 20 40072

Goodnight Sweetheart Bethlehem BCP 6051

Goodnight Sweetheart (alt. take) Bethlehem 20 40072

There'll Be Some Changes Made Bethlehem BCP 6051

There'll Be Some Changes Made (alt. take) Bethlehem 20 40072

6579 I've Heard That Blues Before Bethlehem 11094, BCP 6051

* Zoot Sims - Down Home (Bethlehem BCP 6051, 20 40072)

* Various Artists - Golden Jazz Instrumentals (Bethlehem BCP 6065)

* Zoot Sims - Jive At Five c/w I've Heard That Blues Before (Bethlehem 11094)

* Zoot Sims - Doggin' Around c/w Bill Bailey (Bethlehem 3012)

I like it a lot! And I think that McKenna is at least as over the top as is Richmond!

Frankly, speeding drummers never really annoyed me (I guess I don't even really notice... well, most of the time I just don't pay attention to that)

Check out the version of Wahoo in the Stanley Turrentine box (from Mr. Natural). Listen to the tempo at the head of the tune, then check out how it becomes almost twice as fast by the time they get to re-stating the theme at the end. But ya know what...it doesn't matter. They pick up so much steam during the solos that I can live with it. (although I'm guessing this had something to do with it not being released at the time).

and the drummer is Elvin Jones on that one!

Elliot Humberto Kavee, although not always.

I find Rudresh Mahanthapp's Mother Tongue almost unlistenable at times, especially when he does that (almost death-metal like) fast roll thing. Seems totally out of place to me.

But, I really like Black Water, so maybe it's just that one record.

"They're not playing dance music dude.. "

the Miles group was a different animal - listen to Taylor with George Wallington's band on the "live" recording - it's one thing when the tempo swells and subsides, speeds up, slows down, in an organic way - Taylor just speeds up -

and hey, it IS dance music, dude - ask Ornette - or most musicians -

"They're not playing dance music dude.. "

the Miles group was a different animal - listen to Taylor with George Wallington's band on the "live" recording - it's one thing when the tempo swells and subsides, speeds up, slows down, in an organic way - Taylor just speeds up -

and hey, it IS dance music, dude - ask Ornette - or most musicians -

Yes, I remember some interview with Miles, in which he talked about how great it was to see a whole bunch of people dancing, because he knew they'd all felt the music.

MG

Giving a quick perusal through this thread, I found negative comments about:

Pete LaRoca, Jimmy Cobb, Art Blakey, Art Taylor, Zutty Singleton, Louis Hayes, Wilbur Campbell, Philly Joe Jones, Billy Hart, and Roy Haynes.

You guys are a tough audience. :P

My comment about Blakey was related more to what I have felt was a tiring more-of-the-same thing with the Messengers' music, not his drumming per se.

I find it hard as a non-musician to criticise intelligently someone's playing, though sometimes there are situations that I've heard that don't work for my ears.

Stix Hooper, who is a thorn in the side of every Mack Avenue recording session in which he took part.

Interesting... How so? Always liked his playing with the Crusaders..

Playing with the Crusaders calls for a different type of drumming than with Eugene Maslov or George Shearing. Hooper is an obvious misfit with both pianists.

Check out the version of Wahoo in the Stanley Turrentine box (from Mr. Natural). Listen to the tempo at the head of the tune, then check out how it becomes almost twice as fast by the time they get to re-stating the theme at the end. But ya know what...it doesn't matter. They pick up so much steam during the solos that I can live with it. (although I'm guessing this had something to do with it not being released at the time).

Yes, I'm probably too sensitive about this issue. I'm most happy with drummers like Mel Lewis, about whom someone said they could set their watch by him!

...Listen to the tempo at the head of the tune, then check out how it becomes almost twice as fast by the time they get to re-stating the theme at the end. But ya know what...it doesn't matter. They pick up so much steam during the solos that I can live with it. (although I'm guessing this had something to do with it not being released at the time).

Same deal in reverse with The Sidewinder. Billy Higgins eventually settles in quite nicely, or is it Bob Cranshaw that does the settling? ;)

...Listen to the tempo at the head of the tune, then check out how it becomes almost twice as fast by the time they get to re-stating the theme at the end. But ya know what...it doesn't matter. They pick up so much steam during the solos that I can live with it. (although I'm guessing this had something to do with it not being released at the time).

Same deal in reverse with The Sidewinder. Billy Higgins eventually settles in quite nicely, or is it Bob Cranshaw that does the settling? ;)

Nobody can really say anything derogatory about Billy Higgins.. He was a fine drummer and a really nice cat..