Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

Bill Evans: Complete Fantasy Recordings. Disk one. Arrived in the mail today and I'm listening to Evans/Gomez/Morell at Yubin Chokin Hall, Tokyo. Very nice concert and the sound is also good. Glad I finally got this.

41M5ZCGQZ9L._AA240_.jpg

You won't regret it, you being such an Evans fan! I haven't made my way through all of it yet (I plan to, soon - but I've interrupted the Verve box halfway through the Trident dates to play some Roach today... so it will take me a while on my chronological Evans trip...)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill Evans: Complete Fantasy Recordings. Disk one. Arrived in the mail today and I'm listening to Evans/Gomez/Morell at Yubin Chokin Hall, Tokyo. Very nice concert and the sound is also good. Glad I finally got this.

41M5ZCGQZ9L._AA240_.jpg

I've been jonesin' for this for awhile (though I have many of these on CD already) and when I read your post I decided to go for it. Thanks a lot, Matthew........ <_<:lol:

Interesting price variation among the various sources:

Amazon (used, independent seller): $199.00 (yeah, right!!!)

CDUniverse: $121.65

Overstock: $95.21

Needless to say I went for the latter, seemed like a good deal, especially not knowing if this box is going to disappear soon. (Interesting, I also got the Evans Verve "Tetanus" box from Overstock some time ago....)

I'm sure someone else found it for 50 bucks or something, though...... <_<

41M5ZCGQZ9L._AA240_.jpg

I've been jonesin' for this for awhile (though I have many of these on CD already) and when I read your post I decided to go for it. Thanks a lot, Matthew........ <_<:lol:

Interesting price variation among the various sources:

Amazon (used, independent seller): $199.00 (yeah, right!!!)

CDUniverse: $121.65

Overstock: $95.21

Needless to say I went for the latter, seemed like a good deal, especially not knowing if this box is going to disappear soon. (Interesting, I also got the Evans Verve "Tetanus" box from Overstock some time ago....)

I'm sure someone else found it for 50 bucks or something, though...... <_<

Your welcome! I bought the Fantasy Evans because I think this box will disappear very soon (I have a hunch that Concord isn't making anymore of these -- no proof, just a gut feeling). I was tracking the price the past couple of months and it kept going up and up. Great music though, and the sound is very good. My one mistake is that I didn't buy the Milestone solo cds because I thought they would be on this set. Turns out they're in the Riverside box set --my bad. :blush: I don't want to tell you have much I paid for the Verve box -- Yikes! I've taken all the cds out of that dangerous box, and put them is three 6 cd cases.

Edited by Matthew

Andrea Centazzo - The Mitteleuropa Orchestra: The Complete Recording Box Set. Interesting stuff. :cool:

501f.jpg

Disk two this morning.

On to disk three. I'm finding this box set very enjoyable. :tup

Disk four. Very nice music.

Disk five tonight. Interesting music, very organized yet has a sense of freedom to it. :cool:

Into the first lenghty live session(s) now - just started disc 5 (the date begins on disc 4 and goes on until disc 7)

This is the Israels/Bunker trio - mighty fine!

Almost done with disc 6, now - finally continuing with the Evans box... "What Kind of Fool Am I" has just begun... not a tune that ever stuck to my memory, but Evans does it so nicely (also on the Milestone/Riverside solo session)!

Great music! hard to see why Evans didn't like it!

More from the Evans Verve set...

the Zetterlund date - fine, but not much more than that - still I enjoy it

the Trio '65 album - as good as the Trident club live dates, or a bit better, maybe

and now just getting started with the Town Hall dates (disc 9)

(leaving out the strings album on disc 8, that is)

changed my mind: "Further Conversations" (disc 11) right now

Edited by king ubu

More from the Evans Verve set...

the Zetterlund date - fine, but not much more than that - still I enjoy it

the Trio '65 album - as good as the Trident club live dates, or a bit better, maybe

and now just getting started with the Town Hall dates (disc 9)

(leaving out the strings album on disc 8, that is)

changed my mind: "Further Conversations" (disc 11) right now

Continued disc 11 into the first part of the "California Here I Come" sessions - Philly Joe makes a difference!

Now back to disc 9, the Town Hall concert - Wise is a fine drummer, unsung. I think I only have him on a few things with Helen Merrill (those great albums with Dick Katz), and he makes an appearance on the "Secret Sessions", too, I think, but that box is the latest addition to my Evans holding and I haven't played any of it yet... lots of Evans still waiting to be discovered here!

Complete Bill Evans - disc 10 - the album with Jim Hall... not sure what to think... "Undercurrent" is also under constant revision, one time I like it, next time I almost fall asleep... tending to do the later here, but I have to work, so it won't happen... nah, it's nice, actually, I'm just not in for *that* quiet music... looking forward to the second album with Manne and more from the Trident gig with Philly Joe!