Fresh Sound & Lone Hill Reissues Discussion

king ubu

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on one I saw yesterday: THE NEW JOHNNY SMITH QUARTET

The track order suggests that it's a rip from the Smith Mosaic. Any thoughts before I plunk down the cash for this?

I haven't seen the Johnny Smith yet, but these 2 are pretty good;

John LaPorta: Complete Debut Recordings.

41Tv7u3Fh-L._SS500_.jpg

2008 release from the Jazz great in duo, trio, quartet and quintet formats. This is the first time the master takes ever appear on CD. Not only that, 'Saxidental' and 12 alternate takes included here have never been previously released on any format. Lonehill Jazz.

Disc: 1

1. Fluid Drive

2. Right Around Home

3. The Old Man's Touch

4. The Hectic Life

5. Quarto

6. Fringe Area

7. Three Moods (Bright-Eyed Blues/Minor Rhythm/Bird's World)

8. Harangue

9. Don't Blame Me - John LaPorta, McHugh, Jimmy

10. Two Party Campaign

11. All the Things You Are - John LaPorta, Kern, Jerome

12. Chance Acquaintance

13. Saxidental

14. Fringe Area

15. Fluid Drive

16. Fluid Drive

17. Right Around Home

18. This Hectic Life

19. The Old Man's Touch

20. Quarto

Disc: 2

1. All the Things You Are - John LaPorta, Kern, Jerome

2. Bright-Eyed Blues

3. Saxidental

4. Don't Blame Me - John LaPorta, McHugh, Jimmy

5. All the Things You Are - John LaPorta, Kern, Jerome

6. Nightly Vigil

7. Concertina for Clarinet

8. Triplets, You Say?

9. Small Blue Opus

10. Little Fantasy

11. En Rapport

12. Wash Day

13. Perdido - John LaPorta, Tizol, Juan

14. Lou's Tune

15. Absentee

16. Fermé La Porta

17. Dirge for Dorsey

18. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - John LaPorta, Arlen, Harold

19. Darn That Dream - John LaPorta, DeLange, Eddie

20. Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams - John LaPorta, Barris, Harry

Gil Melle: Complete Prestige Recordings 1956-57

51uE6wSkjyL._SS500_.jpg

Product Description

PERSONNEL Art Farmer, Kenny Dorham (tp); Julius Watkins (frh); Don Butterfield (tuba); Hal McKusick (as); Seldon Powell (ts); Teddy Charles (vb); Joe Cinderella (g); Billy Phillips, George Duvivier, Vinnie Burke (b); Ed Thigpen, Shadow Wilson (d) Writer-baritone saxophonist Gil Mellé led a quartet that played some of the most creative, cohesive and provocative jazz sounds of the Fifties. His unorthodox approach echoed his attitudes toward the whole field of jazz and his thoughtful frameworks were, in his own words, "the perfect admixture of classical techniques with jazz emotion and beat". Mellé's cliche-free writing was always fresh and bright, his lines attractive and flowing. On baritone he was a relaxed soloist, with a warm deep tone, rolling phrasing and fluid beat. But though his was the prime voice, his colleagues also displayed a consistent quality of musicianship. And although all were fine musicians in their own right, it's worth noting the lucid and imaginative guitarist Joe Cinderella, and the musical breadth and intelligence of drummer Ed Thigpen. That said, the music you will hear on this CD unquestionably bears the emotional and intellectual stamp of Gil Mellé (1931-2004), a thinking musician, daring and unafraid to push the boundaries.

Disc: 1

1. Adventure Swing

2. Mark One

3. Dedicatory Piece to the Geophysical Year of 1957

4. Dominica

5. Ballet Time

6. Iron Works

7. Walter Ego

8. Jacqueline

9. It Don't Mean a Thing - Gil Melle, Ellington, Duke

10. Full House

11. Quadrama

12. In a Sentimental Mood - Gil Melle, Ellington

13. Rush Hour in Hong Kong

Disc: 2

1. Tomorrow

2. Soudan

3. Block Island

4. Still Life

5. Sixpence

6. Ghengis

7. Funk for Star People

8. Golden Age

9. Herbie

got a bunch of nice fresh sound cds lately...

Jr Monterose - Jaywalkin' (have mosly played the first session under bill bradleys leadership with monterose and phil sunkel - bought quite a bit of stuff in the hope it would be like tony fruscella's recordings - this session comes much closer than most)

Toots Thielemans - The amazing sounds of toots thielemans (two albums from the 1950s with a similar concept, one third quartet, one third quartet plus trombone section, one third quartet plus sax section - the second album has the bigger names, sims, cohn, arranged by ralph burns, but both albums are full of great swinging music)

Anthony Ortega - Earth Dance (this is his album "jazz for young moderns", one side with a great swinging band arranged by nat pierce, the other side more experimental with woodwinds (and no rhythm section except for a bass) and arranged by bob zieff, interesting but the first side grabbed me more... as a bonus there are two tunes with corny string arrangements which don't keep ortega from shining...)

Cecil Payne with Duke Jordan (Payne's Savoy/Signal Album with quartet on one half and kenny dorham added on the other half; even better is the third session on the cd, jordan's half of the charlie parker records lp east and west of jazz, with johnny coles (haven't heard him better elsewhere) and payne...)

Sonny Criss with Georges Arvanitas Trio (just what you would expect, nice one!)

Has Sam Most's Debut album been reissued in full? I'm guessing Lonely Hill would be the first to do it.

Would fit nicely with Fresh Sound I guess... there'd certainly be some Bethlehem sessions with which they could pair it... I'd jump for that one, too! (No idea if it's seen reissue, btw)

Waiting for the La Porta to arrive from Paris :)

The few tracks I've heard on the "Debut Story" box were a thrill! (And so is the Fantasy "Theme and Variations" disc, get it while you can!)

I was wondering where Lonehill got all the LaPorta material, I had presumed it had been re-issued on that "Debut Story" box, but obviously not. Was it issued in Japan or did they actually get the masters???

h41227qfmrt.jpg

Any thoughts on this release? Gets a pretty good review from AMG.

You can find full track listing for this 2 CD set at freshsoundrecords.com. I know three of the five sessions and they are great - the two earliest ones I've never heard. The problem here is of overlap with other albums - there's so much of this out-of-copyright stuff being put out by different labels just now! Not long ago I bought the recently-issued Conte Candoli Quintet with Bill Holman and Lou Levy, Complete Recordings (Definitive), which is absolutely prime stuff and covers two of the sessions on the item you mention. Particularly good, too, is the session with a Hank Jones quartet, which is also on the Fresh Sound, though I have it on Conte Candoli, Modern Sounds from the West on Lonehill. So, get the Fresh Sound, but be prepared for repetition if you've already got any Candoli from 1954-56. By the way, your Mode/VSOP Candoli from 1957 doesn't appear on any of these discs.

Edited by BillF

I was checking out the FS site and saw they had the Frank Rosolino/Conte Candoli session Conversation available as a two disc set. I was hoping this was going to be a Mosaic release (and had even traded emails with Cuscuna lobbying for it) but am glad to see it come out in any form. It's a great session, and there was much more great material not on the original LP.

conversation.jpg

I was checking out the FS site and saw they had the Frank Rosolino/Conte Candoli session Conversation available as a two disc set. I was hoping this was going to be a Mosaic release (and had even traded emails with Cuscuna lobbying for it) but am glad to see it come out in any form. It's a great session, and there was much more great material not on the original LP.

conversation.jpg

I have the orignal LP and am really surprised (but pleased) that there is enough unissued material for a 2 Cd set. Great session.

conversation.jpg

I have the orignal LP and am really surprised (but pleased) that there is enough unissued material for a 2 Cd set. Great session.

I've heard most of the unissued material and it's very good.

Where would Fresh Sounds get this "unissued" material? I was under the impression that they don't have access to any original masters/session tapes, but mostly ripped off existing, legitimate releases. (I think the session might have originally been on an Italian RCA label - are they ripping off Europeans here?)

Edited by DMP

When I come across something I've been interested in for awhile that shows up from Fresh Sound, I generally fold my tent. Case in point is the reissue of the '60's sessions involving Johnny Hodges and Wild Bill Davis. Fresh Sound is releasing all ten Hodges / Davis albums on four CD's. I just ordered Volumes 1 & 2. The latter is of particular interest because both the LP's included on the CD (Joe's Blues and Wings & Things) feature Grant Green on guitar. Call me weak or irresponsible, but the music took two out of three falls from my conscience.

Even if you don't plan to buy anything, just navigating the Fresh Sound website is a hoot.

Up over and out.

I don't know. . . they had unissued material for their Nocturne set, and they acted as if that set was actually done wihe the owners' permission. Maybe it's true. That was also West Coast stuff.

That's a great box - lovingly done! Really an exception to the rule. And it seems indeed that it was legit as well.

That Candoli/Rosolino sure looks nice, too!

That Candoli/Rosolino sure looks nice, too!

It certainly does! What date was that recorded and who else is on it?

from the fresh sound website... apparently, the extra material are no alternate takes but two mps albums...

Frank Rosolino And Conte Candoli have been involved togheter in the 50’s and 60’s in the bands of: Stan Kenton, Shorty Rogers, Howard Rumsey, Terry Gibbs, Bill Holman, Buddy Rich an their own 70’s group Supersax.

This release presents for the first time ever on CD, the complete quintet recordings by Frank Rosolino and Conte Candoli. This material was originally issued on the three long out of print LPs: an studio album "Conversation" issued by RCA - including the excellent Italian pianist Franco D’Andrea - and two MPS live albums taped at the Domicile Jazz Club in Munich.

Tracklisting:

CD 1

01. Star Eyes (7:12)

02. Conversation (4:50)

03. I Hust Don’t Wan To Run Around Anymore (7:18)

04. Attention (5:47)

05. Maria (6:44)

06. Let’s Burn (7:25)

07. Doxy (9:03)

08. Like Someone In Love (8:05)

09. Don’t Take Your Love From Me (4:44)

10. Yesterdays (7:52)

Total time: 69:09 min.

CD 2

01. Darn That Dream (6:39)

02. When Lights Are Low (6:49)

03. Stella By Starlight (7:48)

04. Just Friends (7:21)

05. There Is Not Greater Love (9:52)

06. Well You Needn’t (8:10)

07. Quiet Nights (8:52)

08. My Funny Valentine (7:50)

Total time: 63:25 min.

CD 1, tracks #1-6 from the studio album "Conversation" (RCA API 1509).

CD 1, tracks #7-10 & CD 2, tracks #1-2 from the live album "Conversation" (MPS LP 15.449).

CD 2, tracks #3-8 from "Just Friends" (MPS LP 15.467).

Personnel on "Conversation" (Studio): Frank Rosolino (tb), Conte Candoli (tp), Franco D’Andrea (p), Giovanni Tommaso (b) and Gegè Munari (d). Recorded in Milan, Italy, on May 25, 1973.

Personnel on "Conversation" (Live) & "Just Friends": Frank Rosolino (tb), Conte Candoli (tp), Rob Pronk (p), Isla Eckinger (b), Todd Canedy (d). Both recorded live at the Domicile Jazz Club, in Munich, Germany, on May 10, 1975.

Note: 'I Don’t Want to Run Around Anymore' and 'Don’t Take Love From Me' are quartet performances by Rosolino and the rhythm section. 'Maria' and 'Darn That Dream' are quartet performances by Candoli and the rhythm section.