October Conns.

Soul Stream

Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 7

— previously unreleased 1969 session with nine-piece group

— with Joe Farrell-af, ss, ts, ob; Howard Johnson-bcl, tu; Woody Shaw, Dizzy Reece-t; Bob Northern-frh; Julian Priester-tb; Andrew Hill-p; Ron Carter-b; Lenny White-d

Hank Mobley - The Flip (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 7

Lee Morgan - Sonic Boom (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 7

— the 1967 session with David Newman, Cedar Walton, Ron Carter and Billy Higgins

— will also include the 1969 session with Julian Priester, George Coleman, Harold Mabern, Walter Booker and Mikey Roker that was originally included on the Japanese release of The Procrastinator

Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 7

Charlie Rouse - Bossa Nova Bacchanal (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 7

Larry Young - Mother Ship (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct 7

Sorry, but that post didn't help one bit, since I'm too lazy to read it.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years it was thought that the master tapes of "Passing Ships" were all messed up -- which is what Michael discovered in the mid-70's when he was fishing for unreleased BN material worthy of release.

Turns out that it was a stereo mixdown of the "Passing Ships" tapes that was all messed-up, and not the original master-tapes. This was only discovered within the past year, when the orignal master-tapes turned up, and were given a listen. Or maybe they weren't lost at all, but were thought to be flawed all this time, and were never listened to.

With as many tapes as there much be in the vaults, something like this was bound to happen - so I don't fault anyone for the oversite. Just glad it's finally coming out, after all these years.

(Source: My memory of the BN thread that Kevin started, and recently deleted.)

I'm feeling energetic enough at the moment (probably because it's 0805 right now) to ask this question - Does anyone know if the Euro versions of these Conns will be copy protected?

But I'll probably end up being too lazy to read the response, so you may have to yell very loudly into my left ear.

Speaking of the copy protection...

A friend of mine in France has always been buying US pressings of BN CDS. He orders them from Tower, and says that, even with the overseas shipping charge, it's cheaper than buying them in France and paying the VAT!

I don't know if he saves on shipping by buying in bulk, and I don't know if France does the same import tax thing as the U.K....

My two thoughts on the copy protection thing:

With my CD burner, I can make mix CDs of BN material which I use at my occasional lectures. Several people have gone out and bought multiple BN CDs as a result of these lectures (this music sells itself) - one guy is so obsessed with Wayne, I sometimes have to cut him short when I'm busy at work and he comes over to chat. Imagine, me having to tell someone: 'I don't have time to talk about Wayne Shorter right now'!

In short, Blue Note/EMI or whoever made the decision to put copy protection on the European pressings are FUCKING IDIOTS. It's the single most moronic decision in the history of the company (which includes such decisions as signing that lame-ass Kurt Elling).

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

In theory, I'm not opposed to the idea of copy protection. Regardless of arguments like "I've bought this CD, and it's my right to do whatever I want with it, for example burning a copy for my car stereo, for my friend etc." there is no obvious right to do anything with the CD other than to listen to it in a redbook CD player.

I would also be the first one to admit that the possibility of burning copies of music for friends and others may in many cases generate more sales of music these people otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. However, I think that as things stand now, the net effect of illegal copying is lower CD sales. A copy protection method which makes it hard or impossible to make a digital copy of a CD, still allows you to make analog copies, i.e. recording them through the analog inputs of a CD-burner or through the sound card of a computer. They won't be bit-identical, but perfectly listenable, and still much better than the compact cassettes everybody were still using 10 years ago. If someone for some reason must have identical copies they'll have to buy another CD; I think that is perfectly reasonable.

However I won't buy the European copy-protected CDs, because I'm still not convinced that the Cactus Datashield method is not affecting the instant or long-term sound quality.

And I won't buy Kurt Elling CDs from any continent... ;)

I agree with you guys.

I often burn compilation cds from MY collection and give out to friends and family.

My intent is always to try and promote the music.

Spread the joy, if you will. ;)

I also spend a lot of time driving, so rather than carry a large case of cds with me, I can just carry a few cd-r's.

I'm not down with copy-protection.

I'm too damned lazy to miss out on such a wonderful thread as this. Been away for some time, but too damned lazy to fully stay offline. Too damned lazy to say "Hi" to you guys again. Too damned lazy to keep my $$$ when these suckers come out in October. :P Wow! can't wait. Won't be lazy anymore. :wub:

AWWWWWWW! A startling thought just woke me from my laziness!

Could the hype about the previously unreleased Passing Ships cloud our judgement as to its real quality? I love Andrew Hill's playing as much as anyone, but I'm starting wonder if the session is as good as we hope it will be. I fear that any session with a nine-piece group could easily get outta hand!

AWWWWWWW!  A startling thought just woke me from my laziness! 

Could the hype about the previously unreleased Passing Ships cloud our judgement as to its real quality?  I love Andrew Hill's playing as much as anyone, but I'm starting wonder if the session is as good as we hope it will be.  I fear that any session with a nine-piece group could easily get outta hand!

Blasphemy!!!!!!! :o:o:o

Haven't we banned members of this board for lesser offences???

Immediately delete the offending post above, and write a 500-word essay on the hidden virtues of “Dance with Death” and the 2nd LP from “One for One” (which, collectively, are the only previously released Blue Note material from Andrew Hill, which haven’t yet been released on CD anywhere in the board). And in doing so, may you be returned to the good graces of the membership of this board.

The Rooster has spoken...

Blasphemy!!!!!!! :o:o:o

Haven't we banned members of this board for lesser offences???

Immediately delete the offending post above, and write a 500-word essay on the hidden virtues of “Dance with Death” and the 2nd LP from “One for One” (which, collectively, are the only previously released Blue Note material from Andrew Hill, which haven’t yet been released on CD anywhere in the board). And in doing so, may you be returned to the good graces of the membership of this board.

The Rooster has spoken...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll get working on that essay, but I will not delete the post. Squawk all you'd like. I am entitled to my suspicions, and if voicing them causes mayhem, well then, it's more to do with the fragility of the members of this barnyard than it's to do with my cavalier opinion. If Passing Ships is as good as Dance With Death (I happen to love DwD; others here may not), I'll write an extra 1000 words on the societal benefits of roosters.