concerts we are ashamed to admit we attended

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I am ashamed of this, but it was bad. I saw the rock group Stories in concert in 1973. They had a big hit single that year, "Brother Louie". If you are old enough, you probably remember the chorus, "Louee Louee Louee Lou-eye."

They could not sing or play. They stood on the stage and moved around, and the singer opened his mouth, but nothing came out that any one could follow or understand. It was like gibberish, for the vocals and the instrument playing. After a few songs almost everyone in the audience left.

Hi Debra - and welcome!

MG

Thank you for the friendly welcome. Do you mind if I ask you what "The Magnificent Goldberg" means?

Finally - someone who asks the question that has been on my mind. I think I like her already.

;)

Aha! All right then.

In the sleeve notes to James Moody's "Moody's workshop", Amiri Baraka (then Leroi Jones) referred frequently to Moody's work with the magnificent Dizzy Gillespie big band. Only, for reasons that weren't clear to me until recently, he consistently referred to Diz as Izzy Goldberg. So, in my mind - and my mate's - there was this mythical band, the magnificent Goldberg band. When, in the late sixties, we were running an unsuccessful anti-art underground magazine, most of which we wrote ourselves, we were looking for a name of a reviewer who would give great reviews to, for example, cowboy comedy films, and pan the work of Antonioni etc. The Magnificent Goldberg therefore came into existence. I resurrected him when I was setting up a hotail account, after several tries at getting my name into an e-mail address - I refused to append an eminently forgettable number at the end of my name to make something unique.

A few years ago, I found out that the reason Amiri referred to Diz as Izzy Goldberg was that, in 1946, Diz had used that pseudonym when recording for Sterling Records.

Nonetheless, as you'll have noticed, The Magnificent Goldberg is still as anti-art as he ever was :)

MG

That is a very interesting explanation, Mr. Goldberg. I guess that is not your real last name.

I am not sure if ashamed is the right word, but a concert I did not really want to attend was a double bill of Cheap Trick and Queen, in the mid-1970s. I took my younger sister to it on her birthday. She loved Queen. "Bohemian Rhapsody" was a hit single at the time. She was thrilled. I was bored.

What surprised me was that Queen was not very good live. I had heard some of their songs on the radio. They could not play them live so that you could make out the melodies. I remember that Queen's singer kept throwing firecrackers on the stage as he sang and danced around. The firecrackers would go off as they hit the ground.

I find the alleged humorous use of a photo of people looking in horror at the Twin Towers collapsing to be in the poorest of taste.

Bertrand.

...I didn't post it but would have no idea that is where the image came from? How did you know? I'm sure JS meant no harm!

m~

I find the alleged humorous use of a photo of people looking in horror at the Twin Towers collapsing to be in the poorest of taste.

Bertrand.

...I didn't post it but would have no idea that is where the image came from? How did you know? I'm sure JS meant no harm!

m~

I didn't even know until they said something.

You can look at the image properties and see the url. Win XP users right click on the image and select properties.

Bertrand.

m~

I didn't even know until they said something.

You can look at the image properties and see the url. Win XP users right click on the image and select properties.

I'm sure this is the case but knowing JS as I do, he didn't go to a "distasters in ny" website to use this photo....it's a thread about horrible concerts we've seen. I don't thing the average user is digging through the properties to see the origin of the photo. I don't need to defend JS; he's a big boy.... :mellow: but as I said, I know he didn't mean anthing by it and most likley no one would have known or questioned the origin of it until now.

m

Journey, back in 1979. But it's okay; it was one of those "Day on the Green" things in Chicago, and by the time they came out, the pot had taken it's toll, and I fell asleep. Of course, maybe I would have fallen asleep anyways...

Journey's now culturally acceptable, since Tony Soprano gave them the thumbs up. So you're off the hook whether you were coherent or not! :rhappy:

I knew because I remember seeing that picture on 9/11. The anguish of the woman watching the Towers collapse in which possibly one of her loved ones is trapped is not something I can ever forget.

I can believe JS did not post this maliciously, but it needs to go.

Bertrand.

Not really a jazz performance, nor a concert, but I recall being very embarrassed on behalf of Betty Davis when she went through her strenuously provocative body language as an accompaniment to her own I-don't-have-a-singing-voice-but-I'll-give-you-dirty-lyrics routine.

I have mentioned this before, she was so bad that author Jamaica Kincaid, who was seated at the next table didn't wait to hear the end of the first number before she slammed shut her notebook, downed her drink, and walked out. I stayed, to see if her act could rise out of the gutter--it didn't, but neither did she get a published review from me. That, of course, was to her advantage.

Not really a jazz performance, nor a concert, but I recall being very embarrassed on behalf of Betty Davis when she went through her strenuously provocative body language as an accompaniment to her own I-don't-have-a-singing-voice-but-I'll-give-you-dirty-lyrics routine.

... neither did she get a published review from me. That, of course, was to her advantage.

To be fair, I did not attend the following concert, but it was reviewed and was slammed. Lynda Carter, AKA Wonder Woman, has started going around doing what is essentially a cabaret music act. Her voice was described as adequate, but she was doing so much distracting shimmying and other odd gyrations that it interfered with the performance. You have been warned. (She still looks very good, however, if you want to go just to be in the same room as Wonder Woman. You know who you are. :ph34r: )

If it has a heart, you can cash in on it by making medical history, which should bring you enough income to rent a superbly furnished room in a dream neighborhood, and lure Wonder Woman in. I bet you'd have a sizable fortune left for further exploration. :)

Give it some thought.

Edited by Christiern