Jazz In Paris

king ubu

Interesting, didn't notice about the additional material on the Simmons yet (but didn't do a track-by-track comparison of the latest batch yet).

Not entirely sure, but perhaps the Grappelli Sextet is also new to the JiP series. There are a few Oscar Peterson/Grappelli collaborations but as quartets not a sextet. I'll definitely take a closer look when Dusty Groove gets this in stock.

The Grappelli was out as "The Nearness of You", the one-off that appeared a while after the original JiP series had stopped!

Oh, that's the one that took me forever to track down. They never did get it at DG, and I finally ordered it from Amazon.fr.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, didn't notice about the additional material on the Simmons yet (but didn't do a track-by-track comparison of the latest batch yet).

Not entirely sure, but perhaps the Grappelli Sextet is also new to the JiP series. There are a few Oscar Peterson/Grappelli collaborations but as quartets not a sextet. I'll definitely take a closer look when Dusty Groove gets this in stock.

The Grappelli was out as "The Nearness of You", the one-off that appeared a while after the original JiP series had stopped!

Oh, that's the one that took me forever to track down. They never did get it at DG, and I finally ordered it from Amazon.fr.

Yes, I remember!

For me, amazon.fr is usually the very best source to get these anyway!

The new Collector's disc sell at 8€ a pop... with VAT deducted, I just ordered the Louiss, Simmons and Nathan Davis for €20.04, meaning it's 4 cent over the minimal sum to get free shipping! :excited:

Of course now that I want to listen to it, I can't turn it up, but I'll keep looking!

I was obviously confusing that recording with this sextet date.

Stephane Grappelli - Stuff Smith Sextet

Oscar Peterson (p) Herb Ellis (g) Stephane Grappelli, Stuff Smith (violin) Ray Brown (b) Jo Jones (d)

Paris, France, May 4, 1957

21120-2 Mean To Me Verve MGV 8270

21121-3 I Want To Be Happy unissued

21122-2 Medley: A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square / Moonlight In Vermont / The Nearness Of You / Embraceable You unissued

21123-1 Don't Get Around Much Anymore Verve MGV 8270; Pablo 2310-907

21124-3 No Points Today -

21125-1 Chapeau Blues -

21126-2 The Lady Is A Tramp -

* Stephane Grappelli And Stuff Smith (not released) (Verve MGV 8270)

* Stephane Grappelli/Stuff Smith - Violins No End (Pablo 2310-907; Original Jazz Classics OJCCD 890-2)

I guess two of the titles weren't acceptable, but 4 came out on Violins No End along with this session:

Stuff Smith With Oscar Peterson Quartet At JATP

Oscar Peterson (p) Herb Ellis (g) Stuff Smith (violin) Ray Brown (b) Jo Jones (d)

"Salle Pleyel", Paris, France, May 2, 1957

Desert Sands Pablo 2310-907

How High The Moon -

Moonlight In Vermont -

* Stephane Grappelli/Stuff Smith - Violins No End (Pablo 2310-907; Original Jazz Classics OJCCD 890-2)

As far as I can see, Violins No End is only 43 minutes long, so they could easily have included the track "Mean To Me" that was on the never issued Verve LP. :angry:

Anyway, I will put in an order for Violins No End sometime this week, even though it is absurdly short.

In other JiP news, there is a relatively new version of Grappelli's Improvisations (JiP #42) that adds 10 additional tracks from the 10" LP Jazz Aux Champs-Elysees No. 2 with pianist Jack Dieval. Improvisations I'll probably end up picking this up as well.

You can buy "Improvisations" a third time, too... this edition here adds a ten inch trio album with Grappelli on piano ("Piano à Gogo" with Guy Pedersen and "Mac Kac" Reilles).

Hmm -- Grappelli on piano also shows up as "Unique piano session - Paris 1955" Sounds like a bit of a novelty act frankly, so I will refrain from purchasing Improvisations for the third time. But still good to know.

Probably not a deal-breaker but neither of these newer releases have the three bonus tracks which are on the JiP CD.

Edited by ejp626

You can buy "Improvisations" a third time, too... this edition here adds a ten inch trio album with Grappelli on piano ("Piano à Gogo" with Guy Pedersen and "Mac Kac" Reilles).

Hmm -- Grappelli on piano also shows up as "Unique piano session - Paris 1955" Sounds like a bit of a novelty act frankly, so I will refrain from purchasing Improvisations for the third time. But still good to know.

Probably not a deal-breaker but neither of these newer releases have the three bonus tracks which are on the JiP CD.

Forgot to mention the lack of bonus tracks, yes... got the "Improvisations" Heritage Series (or whatever that series was called again) from the bins one day, and the piano music is fun but totally inessential.

• 3 months later...

Here is the cover of the 'new' reissue of the Miles Davis soundtrack to 'Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud' (the first release of the ten-inch Fontana France LP looked exactly like that);

0602527667355.jpg

By chance found out that this includes two bonus tracks:

Bags' Groove (6:55)

Four (6:08)

They seem to be from the Nov. 30, 1957 Olympia Theatre concert: http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=571130

Weird to just include two cuts... would have been worthwhile to include the entire set, for sure!

The RLR release 'Miles Davis Unissued 1956/57 Paris Broadcasts' has more from that Olympia concert (plus a couple of unissued broadcasts from the Cafe Bohemia broadcasts by the Miles Davis quintet with Sonny Rollins:

51HjHItc8mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and one with lester young!!!!! :excited:

keep boppin´

marcel

• 6 months later...

Just heard from a friend... coming up next week:

51zqzmkl8lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bernard Peiffer - Improvision (hors série 07)

CD1 #1-10 "Bernie's Tunes" (EmArcy MG36080), rec. NYC, April 11, 1956 w/Joe Puma & Oscar Pettiford (#1-5) and Puma, Chuck Andrus & Ed Thigpen (#6-10)

CD2 #1-6 "Modern Jazz for People Who Like Original Music" (Laurie LLP1006; also: Heliodor (G)474011, Laurie (Jap)20EL-5046 and CD (Jap)32ED-5077), rec. NYC 1959 w/Gus Nemeth & Jerry Segal

No idea where the bonus tracks come from... but will get this very soon! :excited:

thank you! think there's some more info in the blurb below e.g. the sentence i put into boldface seems to say that the 8 bonus tracks are live recordings? the last track has "(Live From Glassboro State University/1976)" in the title so...

"Plus de 35 ans après sa disparition, l'oeuvre de Bernard Peiffer reste sans doute l'une des plus méconnues du jazz moderne. Doté d'un talent hors norme, Peiffer n'aura de cesse de faire évoluer son art dans la recherche d'une fusion parfaite entre musique classique et jazz. Une expression qu'il s'applique à développer en concert comme en attestent les 8 titres totalement inédits présentés dans cette réédition. Peiffer y démontre une maîtrise et une imagination sans limites au cours d'interprétations de standards cf. L'introduction de 6 minutes de Lullaby of Birdland et de compositions complètement débridées, lorsqu'il ne s'agit pas de pièces improvisées de bout en bout (Perfect Storm). Enregistré à son arrivée sur le sol américain en 1956, l'album Bernie's Tune voit le pianiste entouré d'accompagnateurs de premier plan (Oscar Pettiford, Joe Puma). Un album en guise d'introduction au public américain qui ne laissera pas indifférent le critique Leonard Feather : "Bernard Peiffer est incroyable. Art Tatum mis à part, je ne connais pas d'autre pianiste de jazz aussi virtuose." Malheureusement, le pianiste français aura peu l'occasion de retourner en studio. On ne peut que le regretter à l'écoute du très rare Modern Jazz for People Who Like Original Music, paru sur le label Laurie en 1965, son album le plus personnel et le plus abouti.Sans doute trop en avance sur son temps, Bernard Peiffer n'aura de son vivant pu recueillir la reconnaissance qu'il mérite."

Rhoda Scott - wow!

Thanks!

Great to see they're still going on!

41PH6cRBA0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg514CcQpt17L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

correct link for Cravic/Roussin/Varis:

http://www.amazon.fr/Cordes-Dominique-Cravic-Francis-Roussin/dp/B007JNN1U2/

never heard of these guys... and know very little by the Ferrés and very little about Jullien - but this looks like a very nice batch!

0602527976662.jpg

0602527976617.jpg

Ubu, thanks for displaying the right link to the Cravic/Roussin/Varis album.

Not really familiar with the Cordes et Lames music. Will take care of this when that Jazz in Paris release comes out...

Dominic Cravic is a member of the Primitifs du Futur group (the group co-led by Robert Crumb!) and their music has to be checked out! I am a great fan of les Primitifs!

Tried figuring out the details:

#8 - Rhoda Scott - Paris-New York

CD1#1-7: Take a Ladder (Barclay 1968 - Daniel Humair)

CD1#8-13: Mach II (Barclay 1971 - Joe Thomas, Cees Kranenburg)

CD2: Rhoda Scott in New York: Rhoda Scott with Thad Jones & Mel Lewis

En 1967, suivant les traces de Tadd Dameron et Quincy Jones, Rhoda Scott arrive en France pour suivre les cours de Nadia Boulanger. À peine un an plus tard, elle enregistre son premier album pour le label Barclay, Take a Ladder en duo avec l'un des tous meilleurs batteurs du moment, Daniel Humair. Suivront une longue série d'albums, parmi lesquels deux se distinguent particulièrement par la présence d'accompagnateurs de premier rang : Mach II (1971) auquel participe son complice de toujours, le saxophoniste/flûtiste américain Joe Thomas et surtout Rhoda Scott in New York (1976), fruit de la collaboration entre l'organiste virtuose et le grand orchestre de Thad Jones/Mel Lewis.

#9 - Ivan Jullien - Complete Riviera Recordings

CD1: Paris Point Zero (Riviera 1966 - Big Band u.a. mit Roger Guérin, Bernard Vitet, Michel Portal, Eddie Louiss, Gilbert Rovère, Charles Bellonzi, Bernard Lubat)

CD2#1-12: Big Jullien and his All Stars (Riviera 1968 - Big Bands mit Guérin, Raymond Katarzynski, Maurice Vander, Louiss etc.)

CD2#13-20: Secret Service (Riviera 1971 - Big Band u.a. mit Jean-Louis Chautemps, Michel Graillier, Jacky Samson, André Ceccarelli)

Activiste forcené des meilleurs orchestres français de jazz de l'après-guerre, il a fait ses armes en tant que trompettiste chez les regrettés Benny Bennett, Jef Gilson et Christian Chevallier -, et en récompense de la multitude d'arrangements et d'orchestrations qu'il a donnés aux plus grands noms de la chanson française (Aznavour, Salvador, Nougaro, etc), Ivan Jullien va enregistrer pour Riviera, sous-label de Barclay, trois LPs qui impressionneront durablement la paysage orchestral du tournant des années 60 et 70. Michel Portal, Bernard Vitet, Bernard Lubat, Jean-Louis Chautemps, Michel Graillier prendront part à cette extraordinaire aventure, longtemps inédite en CD et qu'un nouvelle génération chercheuse de sons, d'inventivité et de groove a remis à l'honneur depuis quelques années. Une découverte pour certains, cette réédition sera pour d'autres la confi rmation de l'indéniable virtuosité d'Ivan Jullien.

note: another of Jullien's Riviera albums, "Porgy & Bess" (co-led by Eddie Louiss) is missing - it was part of the original Jazz in Paris series

#10 - Boulou & Elios Ferré - Complete Barclay Recordings

Boulou's complete 1962-1966 recordings, with bands known and unknown, sidemen incl. Maurice Vander, Dany Doriz, Pierre Gossez, Pierre Michelot, Georges Arvanitas, Rogér Guerin, Michel Portal...

Illustre rejeton d'une famille de musiciens - Baro, Sarane et Matelo Ferret - sans qui l'histoire de la musique de jazz à Paris ne serait pas tout à fait la même, le petit Boulou n'avait pas attendu le nombre des années pour briller et se faire remarquer dès le début des années 60 par Barclay. Label pour lequel le jeune guitariste allait enregistrer une remarquable série de Eps et LPs sous l'égide du non moins remarquable Paris All Stars, phalange dirigée par Alain Goraguer et qui comptait à ses pupitres rien moins que Michel Portal, Maurice Vander, Pierre Michelot ou Eddy Louiss, entre autres. La suite - les années 70 - offrira un visage tout aussi frais et moderne, tourné vers une fusion électrique et poétique. L'intégralité de ces enregistrements jusqu'alors inédits en CD offre un regard complet et très attendu sur la carrière que l'on sait du jeune Boulou devenu un très grand de la guitare moderne.

#11 - Cravic/Roussin/Varis - Cordes et Lames

CD1: "Ju Ju – Doudou" (A & R 1985 - incl. Steve Lacy-ss, Bobby Rangell-as, Dominique Pifarély-v, Cravic, Roussin-g, Yves Torchinsky-b, Jean-Max Davis-d a.o.)

CD2#1-7: from "Cordes et lames" (missing: "La Danse du Chat" and "Sans Salvador") (Jamuz 1983 - Varis-acc, Pifarély-v, Cravic-g, Torchinsky-b, Jean-Claude Jouy-d)

CD2#8-13: from "Accordion Madness" (missing: "Lament", "Frank's Tune", "Country Trane" and "Varis de Paris") (EPM 1988 - Kenny Kotwitz, Varis-acc, Cravic, Roussin-g, Pierre Maingourd-b, Jean-Claude Jouy, Jean-Michel Davis-d, Sonia Queiroz, Coaty de Oliveira-perc)

"Cordes et Lames" raconte l'histoire d'une famille de musiciens rassemblés autour d'une personnalité singulière du paysage jazzistique parisien, le guitariste Dominique Cravic. Dans cette famille, il y a le frère, le guitariste Didier Roussin. De leur complicité musicale naîtra "Juju-Doudou" (1988), un album qui mélange avec une désinvolture savante biguine, tango, valse et blues et marie en un patchwork joyeusement métissé guitares, dobro, violon (Dominique Pifarely), harmonica (Olivier Blavet et J.J. Milteau) et saxophone (Steve Lacy).On y rencontre également l'accordéoniste Francis Varis. Son association avec Cravic donnera en 1982 naissance à un quartet unissant guitare et accordéon, qui adoptera le nom "Cordes et Lames". Sans se soucier des préjugés liés à l'emploi d'un instrument peu apprécié des amateurs de jazz de l'époque, Cravic et Varis s'en donnent à coeur joie sur un répertoire où se mêlent valses, thèmes bebop et ballades, à l'image d'un jazz ouvert et éclectique, cosmopolite et nostalgique, sophistiqué et festif. Un avant-goût aux Primitifs du Futur ? Car pour Dominique Cravic, la musique est d'abord une affaire de passion et de curiosité sans fond : "Un voyage spatio-temporel avec toujours une connotation nostalgique. Tout jeune, j'ai abordé la musique comme un continent exotique, plein de désir et de mystère. En écoutant un vieux truc de Lonnie Johnson, Charlie Parker ou de Gus Viseur, je voyage. J'aime dans la musique cette disparité unie. C'est bien pour cela que je refuse toute espèce de hiérarchie entre les styles et les genres."

Conclusion: they all look good to me! But I'll be all over the Scott and Peiffer as soon as I can get them!

Conclusion: they all look good to me! But I'll be all over the Scott and Peiffer as soon as I can get them!

I've been quite the completist up til now, but am starting to run out of steam (and dosh). They all look at least a bit interesting, but I suspect in the end I'll just get the Scott, Peiffer and perhaps the Ivan Jullien.

Maybe there is some logic to it, but Disc 1 of the Jullien is quite short, but disc 2 seems filled out reasonably well. The sound samples on Amazon.fr definitely make this tempting.

Edited by ejp626

About the Bernard Peiffer 2CD, too bad they did not upgrade it to a 3CD to include the second Peiffer album on Laurie Can-Can, another brilliant performance!

I managed to get two copies of 'Modern Jazz for People Who Like Original Music'.

First one was a very good copy. The second copy was up for grabs for a couple of bucks in a US shop, obviously because the cover was in a terrible shape. The seams had given up and managed to hold the record together with plenty of scotch tape. However the back cover had notes in french from Peiffer himself. The pianist also gave a recording date ('Enregistré le 18 novembre 1959 à NYC'). Forwarded the information to Tom Lord who included it in his Discography. This obviously escaped the liner notes writer at Universal France.

Another surprise was that the vinyl inside was 'Cole Porter's CanCan', an album that eluded me up to then and which I still have never seen. That vinyl was much better than the cover, however if anybody has a spare copy of that cover, I would be very happy to get a proposition for a purchase, or an exchange!

If I'm reading the info correctly, the only new material on the new Les Tricheurs CD are some false starts. I think I'll pass.

I guess your name isn't Phil Schaap. False starts give him orgasms.

I realize there is a place for this (maybe), but I do find it pretty annoying when some of the Verve CDs are so cluttered up with crappy false starts that you have to program your CD player around them. It definitely makes me reach less for some of these CDs to play for casual listening, which I think completely defeats the purpose of reissuing material.

Similarly, my tolerance for alternate takes decreases dramatically after 3 versions of the same song. I was looking at some CD recently where there were 5 to 6 takes of each song. Blah.

Just heard from a friend... coming up next week:

51zqzmkl8lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bernard Peiffer - Improvision (hors série 07)

CD1 #1-10 "Bernie's Tunes" (EmArcy MG36080), rec. NYC, April 11, 1956 w/Joe Puma & Oscar Pettiford (#1-5) and Puma, Chuck Andrus & Ed Thigpen (#6-10)

CD2 #1-6 "Modern Jazz for People Who Like Original Music" (Laurie LLP1006; also: Heliodor (G)474011, Laurie (Jap)20EL-5046 and CD (Jap)32ED-5077), rec. NYC 1959 w/Gus Nemeth & Jerry Segal

No idea where the bonus tracks come from... but will get this very soon! :excited:

Ouch ... duplication time again - I already have the original Heliodor LP with tracks 1 to 6 of CD2.

But as the price seems to be right CD1 should be reason enough ... Thanks for the info!

Edited by Big Beat Steve

If I'm reading the info correctly, the only new material on the new Les Tricheurs CD are some false starts. I think I'll pass.

I realize there is a place for this (maybe), but I do find it pretty annoying when some of the Verve CDs are so cluttered up with crappy false starts that you have to program your CD player around them. It definitely makes me reach less for some of these CDs to play for casual listening, which I think completely defeats the purpose of reissuing material.

Similarly, my tolerance for alternate takes decreases dramatically after 3 versions of the same song. I was looking at some CD recently where there were 5 to 6 takes of each song. Blah.

see here - a couple of complete takes, works for me!

see here - a couple of complete takes, works for me!

I'd basically forgotten which CD we were discussing. Somehow I did end up with a copy of Les Tricheurs, but I can't recall when or where, though the odds are it was Dusty Groove. (I still think it is dopey to include all the false starts.) If I were still in Chicago and DG got all in these hors series sets, I would probably eventually give in and buy them all. Out here, I'll probably have a bit more will power...