(RIP) Clark Terry's health

flat5

RIP. First time I heard him as a kid was on "Ellington at Newport", then the album that really made an impression was when I bought "Montreux '77" by Milt Jackson/Ray Brown. Think I'll spin "The Trumpet Kings at Montreux" in his memory. That tone, with, a plunger muted sound will live forever.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a remarkable man, who lived in a time when segregation and discrimination were the norm. As part of "The Greatest Generation", he served in the US Navy during WWII to help fight for freedoms he and his people could not yet enjoy. He worked in a business that was very competitive, especially once the big bands died off and then rock and roll did away with the need for lots of studio musicians. Yet I don't think there is a person alive today who would have an unkind word to say about Clark Terry. That may be the finest testament to the kind of man he was and the kind of life he lived. Sometimes, the good guys don't finish last.

He will be missed, but never forgotten.

May eternal peace be upon him.

http://youtu.be/vtGTxNjzGDE

Edited by duaneiac

Sad news - but what a great musician and great ambassador for jazz. Much respect and RIP.

And, I would add, a truly wonderful human being. We weren't close friends, but sometimes hanging out or talking on the phone that was easy to forget. RIP

Edited by BeBop

I have to add my voice to the chorus here. What a wonderful musician and person he was, in every respect. One of those people I am so glad I met, if only for some fleeting moments. He was one of my father's favorites (not much younger than Clark at 89, and very saddened by this news), and Clark was exremely nice to dad when they met and laughed with him about the old days playing in Detroit. Even though he was in his 90s, it's hard to think of him gone.

Goodbye Clark.

The late Ian Carr's obituary for Clark Terry:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/22/clark-terry

Yeah, this thread started in 2008, Carr died in 2009, and here we are eulogizing the great man in 2015. Mr. Terry obiviously came from "good stock" like the country folk say. And "good breeding" (like the old folks say) as well, a universally loved and respected spirit.

In other words, an exemplary human being in every way. People say it can't be done, well, if not, let us mourn the death of Clark Terry. But if still possible, let us use him as an example and inspiration for as long as there's people deciding what kind of a life they're going to make for themselves.

In listening to a lot of the three day WKCR Memorial Tribute to CT, I was amazed at the amount of Memorial concerts that CT played at, and the effort that he put in to them.

They played a few of those concerts that were taped, and CT's playing was good enough to be released as an LP. The Eddie Costa Memorial concert at the Village Gate was released as an LP, but I never heard it before yesterday. CT gave it his all for EC, and Dick Hyman did a fantastic job on piano.

They also played another tape from Bill Pemberton's Memorial concert where CT even wrote a blues and played piano on it for BP!

I had the honor of performing with CT at the Jimmy Nottingham Memorial concert at the club Storytown in NYC, and CT gave it his all, and yelled out, "Yeah, baby!" after every one of my solos, which made me feel pretty good.

But that was what CT was all about...