Interview With Scott Wenzel

A good read. Wenzel seems to have a considerable influence, based just on the time frame of certain sets, on Mosaic's offerings — which is a good thing.

Mosaic Select seems the place nowadays for more "modern" stuff. I sometimes wish that Mosaic would explore more "avant garde" recordings, but am still listening to and enjoying the Andrew Hill and Sam Rivers.

What a great thing that Mosaic has grown and prospered over the years, and now decades. I hope there are many more decades to come.

One of the things I've most appreciated about Scott is that he occasionally answers emails from loons like me and appears to have an inexhaustible (so far) tolerance for all the suggestions we inflict on him.

Of course, *mine* are particularly valuable! ;)

Greg Mo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

The James P. was mentioned before here, I think ... another Basie/Lester sounds great ... but what is left from later years? Much of it is transcriptions and live recordings, would be a first for Mosaic to do such as set (and obviously there'd be some terrific live recordings from the period covered in the 1936-40 set).

Basie/Lester - Maybe a small group (i.e. Kansas City 6) set that could start out with the still unreleased alternates from the first 1936 session.  :)   Gathering all of Basie's or the Basieites' small group sessions from the 30s, 40s, and maybe early 50s would be a pretty substantial set, although it would probably require too many copyrights for Mosaic.

Or could it be a complete Basie live at the Lincoln Hotel 1944 with Lester?  :excited::excited:  

Edited by John L

• 4 weeks later...