Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

I listened last night to the newly remastered Sgt. Pepper's in both mono and stereo. Boy am I glad I bought both boxes! In regards to the sound quality, they were both SO good and lots of fun, but in quite different ways.

The mono mix of Peppers is really incredible. A common misconception that I've been reading online is that folks think mono automatically equals a wash of noise and lack of quality. This couldn't be further from the truth. You can tell right way that The Beatles and George Martin put a lot of time and effort into the mono mix. It is very detailed and nuanced, but it just doesn't have all the separation like a stereo mix, it is coming at you head on. I agree with a previous post, which says that the mono mixes are more "ballsy", cause they definitely are! This is the biggest thing with mono. It is true - the band just rocks way harder! One listen to "Sgt. Pepper's Reprise" in mono and you will understand. It has a driving force like I've NEVER heard before and was a revelation after listening to this album a million times. At the end, you can also hear Paul's "scatting" or whatnot a lot more clear, which again would surprise folks that think mono=worse sound quality.

Other mono notes: "She's Leaving Home" is actually in a higher key, which changes the song quite a bit. "Lucy" has some phasing or flange on Lennon's voice that is really interesting (and sounds beautiful), and there's lots more "new" sounds and things in other songs that will make any Beatle fan have to listen to each song a few times to pick out all the cool stuff in there.

Regarding the Stereo mix: All I really need to say about the stereo mix is that it is like listening to the Beatles in Hi-Def. The veil has been lifted and everything is super bright, clear, dynamic, etc. You can really hear guitar strings being plucked as if you are in the room with them. The little details come to life. It's loud without being abrasive and just sounds incredible. This will be how most fans will want their Beatles.

I enjoyed both listening experiences very much. When I want to hear raw, rockin' Beatles (especially on the early albums, which I also sampled), I'm going with mono. Listen to "She Loves You" in mono...you won't believe how hard this band kicks ass. But, if I want to be swept away by glorious sound and swirling psychedelia in my headphones...that's what the stereo mix is for.

Get both sets if you can, you really won't be disappointed by either. And it's fun to compare the two and see what sticks out. They are both so enjoyable and sound so great that there really is no way to lose!

But mostly - just enjoy the music. That is what it is really all about.

-WhiskeyCat

yes, I was just reflecting my own confusion at trying to keep track of which version is which and which reissue is which and whether or not THIS is the ultimate in Beatles reissues - I actually intend to buy the individual CDs, as I get the impression that they've finally done it right -

(also maybe making a little bit of fun at the expense of the more fanatical audiophiles of the world)

Edited by AllenLowe

I'm gonna wait for the stereo mixes of the original mono re-mixes in which half the band is panned at 3 o'clock the other at 9 o'clock with the decompression applied to the left side of the compressed audio chain but double tracked for the limited edition re-release of the original mono-stereo tracks as ping-ponged by Geoffrey Emerick in the original secondary re-mix to tracks 3 and 4 and then before the echo was added by Dave Dexter before he talked to George Martin who then talked to EMI and the Queen and re-mastered the second mono mix to 12 track uncompressed stereo-mono originals with of course the second secret track added in which Paul admits he is not dead but getting old and tired.

assuming Yoko gives her permission.

This was easier for me to follow than several other posts in this thread.

yes, I was just reflecting my own confusion at trying to keep track of which version is which and which reissue is which and whether or not THIS is the ultimate in Beatles reissues - I actually intend to buy the individual CDs, as I get the impression that they've finally done it right -

(also maybe making a little bit of fun at the expense of the more fanatical audiophiles of the world)

Not the ultimate, but the PENultimate :rolleyes:

I only have the US lp's and a few of the 22 year old cd's, so I sprung for the lot. This should do me for awhile.

I've also been listening to the two Capitol boxes over the last few days and was JUST finishing when I went out to pick up my Beatles CDs yesterday. Which means that I listened to "Rubber Soul" THREE TIMES yesterday: Once in US stereo, once in US mono, and once in the new remastered stereo (which is really George Martin's 1987 remix. I need to get the mono box to hear the ORIGINAL UK stereo mix). Odd. I don't see to get tired of it.

After I finished listening to the four CDs I picked up, I decided to "finish off" my Capitol listening by spinning my LP copies of "Revolver" (I have it in both stereo and mono version. Which means I also listened to THAT album three times yesterday). Listened to it on headphones after the wife and daughter went to bed. DAMN they sounded good. Yeah, some dirt and a little distortion on the high end (these are forty three year old LPs that were not really taken care of for a long time), but DAMN. I'd say these new CDs come pretty damn close to the vibrancy of the vinyl.

Finished the evening off with my LP copy of "Hey Jude" which just rocked my socks off. Can't wait to hear "Paperback Writer" and "Rain" on the new CD, but this will do for now! Damn!

Unwound afterward to a Ravi Shankar LP. Yeah...life can be pretty damn sweet.

I'm leaning towards getting the Mono Box and then some of the individual Stereo remasters:

the Beatles (possibly)

Abbey Road

Let it Be (possibly)

Past Masters (possibly)

I'm not interested enough in Yellow Submarine to bother with it, and probably won't bother with Past Masters since the mono material is in the Mono box.

Is The Beatles best heard in mono or stereo? I've heard that the stereo mix is the one that the Beatles spent more time on.

Edit: From one of the earlier posts, yes it is clear that anything I'd want from the Past Masters set is in the Mono Box and even the important Yellow Submarine songs are there too. The interesting thing is that if you go to Amazon and buy during this initial frenzy the cost of the CDs are lower than the typical retail price of the old CDs. I guess the only remaining question is whether I go ahead and get The Beatles double album remastered in stereo.

Edited by ejp626

"I've also been listening to the two Capitol boxes over the last few days and was JUST finishing when I went out to pick up my Beatles CDs yesterday. Which means that I listened to "Rubber Soul" THREE TIMES yesterday: Once in US stereo, once in US mono, and once in the new remastered stereo (which is really George Martin's 1987 remix. I need to get the mono box to hear the ORIGINAL UK stereo mix)."

see, guys, I don't make this stuff up - and now my head is spinning once more -

:rolleyes:

I'm gonna wait for the stereo mixes of the original mono re-mixes in which half the band is panned at 3 o'clock the other at 9 o'clock with the decompression applied to the left side of the compressed audio chain but double tracked for the limited edition re-release of the original mono-stereo tracks as ping-ponged by Geoffrey Emerick in the original secondary re-mix to tracks 3 and 4 and then before the echo was added by Dave Dexter before he talked to George Martin who then talked to EMI and the Queen and re-mastered the second mono mix to 12 track uncompressed stereo-mono originals with of course the second secret track added in which Paul admits he is not dead but getting old and tired.

assuming Yoko gives her permission.

I guess Allen missed the lesson that day about run on sentences :rolleyes:

Been rereading REVOLUTION IN THE HEAD over the holiday weekend and am probably going to pick up several more of these than planned--the local record store is selling them for $9.99 on Wednesday only. Any word on whether or not the "mini-documentaries" for each CD are any good?

Fine book. Not long ago I finished my third (at least) re-reading. Was struck this time by all the musical attention he gives to Ringo. Quite insightfully so, too, as far as this non-musician can tell.

(Y'know, I actually had a nightmare a few nights ago in which I bought the "Past Masters" singles comp and it somehow didn't have "Rain" on it. Shows where my subconscious is, I guess.)

Edited by BruceH

Sounds like I might be spending money I don't really have on something I don't really need but would knda like. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

just what I seem to be doing right now... :w

Me too. I'm eventually gonna have all of them, just a matter of spreading the money out as far as possible (and wondering if I can really wait until Christmas for a lot of the stereo discs?). :)

Still waiting for Revolver and Abbey Road to show up from Amazon but I picked up a copy of Magical Mystery Tour yesterday. I never owned it on CD before so I can only compare it to the old vinyl but it sounds amazing. I was never a big fan of Blue Jay Way but on the new remaster its becoming a favorite. The mellotrons and production on it is mesmerizing. I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields are a total blast. While not as impressive as the While Album remaster I was still blown away by MMT.

If I am not burned out on the Beatles by the weekend I will compare the Purple Chick Mono's of Rubber Soul, Revolver and Peppers to the new Stereo Remasters and put in my two cents.

My local record store did confirm that the 180 gr individual Mono vinyl should come out in November for those that can wait, I think EMI wants to sell as many versions of these titles as possible on CD first.

I am also just about finished with the Bob Spitz Beatles Biography which I can't put down. Highly recommend.

Edited by WorldB3

Apart from what I must have heard on the radio as a kid, I don't think I've ever heard the Beatles in anything but stereo.

Actually, most of my serious listening to the Beatles has been on mono lps bought in Swazliand. The only ones I seem to still have, not listened to for a long time, are Pepper's and the Parlophone lp that became Past Masters Vol. 2 eventually. Someone made off with my Beatles two lp set years and years ago, I really liked that one.

Apart from what I must have heard on the radio as a kid, I don't think I've ever heard the Beatles in anything but stereo.

Actually, most of my serious listening to the Beatles has been on mono lps bought in Swazliand. The only ones I seem to still have, not listened to for a long time, are Pepper's and the Parlophone lp that became Past Masters Vol. 2 eventually. Someone made off with my Beatles two lp set years and years ago, I really liked that one.

I first started buying records in 1970 when mono just seemed to be yesterday's thing (even though until about 1974, apart from when using my parents stereo, I could only listen in mono!). The first Beatles album I had was this:

67_70.jpg

Xmas '73, I think - it had just come out the previous summer, the first major ttempt by EMI to reignite interest in the Beales. Plus Abbey Road which I'd learned to love at a friend's house (though I do recall hearing one of the first radio broadcasts as it came out). Then 'Revolver'. I don't think I had anything else until the mid-80s (almost certainly 1987...I think I fell for the 'It was 20 Years Ago Today' hype then, just I've got sucked in here).

I'm sure if I was to listen to both mono and stereo I'd hear the difference people are talking about. But I think I'll choose to just stay blissfully ignorant.

Well, the lps that made it to the one store that I shopped at in M'Babane when I could were mono. I was buying these 1968 to 1970. Also, I was given a lot of lps by Peace Corps volunteers (my father was the Director of the Peace Corps program there) that were given to volunteers in a sort of "care package." All these were mono, I guess that makes sense, most seemed to be Atlantic Records. Among them were albums that got me totally interested in jazz such as Leo Wright's "Blues Shout" and "Thomas Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet" (both excellent albums).

One of the poignant times of that period of my life was when my Dad returned to the States to attend some supposedly important meetings in D.C.; he was gone almost a week. This really unsettled my Mom for the week, she didn't like being in a foreign company alone with her four children . . .she tended to be nervous in those days. I had given my Dad all the money I had (from "allowances" mostly i think) to buy some lps for me in the US while he was there. . . he came back with Sgt. Pepper's (mono) and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (my first stereo record).

My first Beatles was the EP with "Baby You Can Drive my Car."

Edited by jazzbo

I listened last night to the newly remastered Sgt. Pepper's in both mono and stereo. Boy am I glad I bought both boxes! In regards to the sound quality, they were both SO good and lots of fun, but in quite different ways.

The mono mix of Peppers is really incredible. A common misconception that I've been reading online is that folks think mono automatically equals a wash of noise and lack of quality. This couldn't be further from the truth. You can tell right way that The Beatles and George Martin put a lot of time and effort into the mono mix. It is very detailed and nuanced, but it just doesn't have all the separation like a stereo mix, it is coming at you head on. I agree with a previous post, which says that the mono mixes are more "ballsy", cause they definitely are! This is the biggest thing with mono. It is true - the band just rocks way harder! One listen to "Sgt. Pepper's Reprise" in mono and you will understand. It has a driving force like I've NEVER heard before and was a revelation after listening to this album a million times. At the end, you can also hear Paul's "scatting" or whatnot a lot more clear, which again would surprise folks that think mono=worse sound quality.

Other mono notes: "She's Leaving Home" is actually in a higher key, which changes the song quite a bit. "Lucy" has some phasing or flange on Lennon's voice that is really interesting (and sounds beautiful), and there's lots more "new" sounds and things in other songs that will make any Beatle fan have to listen to each song a few times to pick out all the cool stuff in there.

Regarding the Stereo mix: All I really need to say about the stereo mix is that it is like listening to the Beatles in Hi-Def. The veil has been lifted and everything is super bright, clear, dynamic, etc. You can really hear guitar strings being plucked as if you are in the room with them. The little details come to life. It's loud without being abrasive and just sounds incredible. This will be how most fans will want their Beatles.

I enjoyed both listening experiences very much. When I want to hear raw, rockin' Beatles (especially on the early albums, which I also sampled), I'm going with mono. Listen to "She Loves You" in mono...you won't believe how hard this band kicks ass. But, if I want to be swept away by glorious sound and swirling psychedelia in my headphones...that's what the stereo mix is for.

Get both sets if you can, you really won't be disappointed by either. And it's fun to compare the two and see what sticks out. They are both so enjoyable and sound so great that there really is no way to lose!

But mostly - just enjoy the music. That is what it is really all about.

-WhiskeyCat

I'm wondeirng if you have been able to compare the "Past Masters" CDs of each set against one another. I know that there are a few track variations on the second disc but aside from that I'm wondering if there are other differences (mono vs. stereo). I read somewhere in this thread that there are mono versions of some songs even on the Stereo version of Past Masters.

Can you (or anybody) clear this up?

Thanks,

Norm

I'm wondeirng if you have been able to compare the "Past Masters" CDs of each set against one another. I know that there are a few track variations on the second disc but aside from that I'm wondering if there are other differences (mono vs. stereo). I read somewhere in this thread that there are mono versions of some songs even on the Stereo version of Past Masters.

Thanks,

Norm

PM mono not on Stereo:

Only A Northern Song

All Together Now

Hey Bulldog

It's All Too Much

PM stereo not on Mono:

Ballad of John and Yoko

Old Brown Shoe

PM Mono on the Stereo:

Love Me Do

She Loves You

I'll Get You

You Know My Name (look up the #)

I was living in Brasil in 1962 when my mother won this album in a school lottery. I constantly played that album and it came with me when we moved back to the US in 1963, back to Brasil in 1964, back to the US in 1964, to Spain in 1965 and back to the US in 1967. Thinking that the Cd age was upon us, with vinyl never to be revisited, I sold it in 1984, a move I've regretted ever since, but the memories stay with you.

post-29-1252608520_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Norm

PM mono not on Stereo:

Only A Northern Song

All Together Now

Hey Bulldog

It's All Too Much

PM stereo not on Mono:

Ballad of John and Yoko

Old Brown Shoe

PM Mono on the Stereo:

Love Me Do

She Loves You

I'll Get You

You Know My Name (look up the #)

Thanks, and just to confirm: Am I safe to assume that other than these differences, the same mono vs. stereo holds true for the other songs (i.e. Paperback Writer will appear in mono on the CD in the Mono box set and a stereo version of it exists likewise in the stereo set)??

Edited by Norm