Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Wow, I sure was not ready for that crazy little bit of voices at the end of Pepper's! THAT is not on my lp.

That was on the outmost track (the track that circles the label) on the original British release of Pepper's. If you played it backwards with your finger on the label, they're singing what sounds like "We're gonna fuck you like Supermen." (Really, I'm not making this up...I've heard it.)

They did a great job with this one, at least. Does not seem compressed, certainly not in the way we're used to, and very warm and clear.

I am finding the same, while much louder but also warm and clear. I am hearing not so much isolation but space (in floating surrounded by air quality) in the instruments if that make sense.

Believe it or not but Revolution #9 was also a blast. Maybe I am older now and have gone through a electronica/ DJ and experimental music phase but I having a hard time on why people hate on it so much.

I listened to it last week on an old copy and, man, it's just weird. However, I can't get out of my head the words "Number 9, Number 9, Number 9......" :blink::wacko::lol:

Wow, I sure was not ready for that crazy little bit of voices at the end of Pepper's! THAT is not on my lp.

That was on the outmost track (the track that circles the label) on the original British release of Pepper's. If you played it backwards with your finger on the label, they're singing what sounds like "We're gonna fuck you like Supermen." (Really, I'm not making this up...I've heard it.)

In the Bio I just finished that was obviously unintentional but when it was brought up to them Paul's reaction in trying to keep their image was along the lines of I guess you can hear all kinds of stuff if you play anything backwards where as of course John loved it.

It's been a fun week, I can't get over how great Abbey Road sounds on these.

I listened to The White Album last night. Sounds better than it ever has. I heard things, honestly, that I'd never heard before (not on my LP or the old CD). "Long, Long, Long" is one of the greatest beneficiaries of the new version. I'd never realized what a really beautiful composition it was. Up there with George's best.

"Revolution 9" revealed some subtleties I'd never noticed before. The little bit of studio chatter (between George Martin and another man) had always been too quiet for me to hear (except for "Can you forgive me?" "Yes."). This time I heard more of the conversation, including a quiet "Bitch" after Martin's "Yes."

In the Bio I just finished that was obviously unintentional but when it was brought up to them Paul's reaction in trying to keep their image was along the lines of I guess you can hear all kinds of stuff if you play anything backwards where as of course John loved it.

It's been a fun week, I can't get over how great Abbey Road sounds on these.

May I ask which biography you read? Last week I checked out Bob Spitz's The Beatles: A Biography, Peter Brown's The Love You Make from the library but have not begun either; I also placed reserves for A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles by Mark Hertsgaard and Here, There, and Everywhere: My Life Recording with the Beatles by Geoff Emerick (the latter two are currently checked out by other library patrons).

I'm not going to have time to make it through all of these but if you or anyone else can recommend one or two, that would be great.

Edited by Norm

My Dad always hated pop/rock music (he's a songs from the shows/light classics/MOR sort of chap - did the 'that's not music/is that a boy or a girl?' responses to TV pop quite naturally) but he liked the Beatles. He'd be hard pressed to name many of their songs but they did enough melodic things and had that amiable image in the early 60s to make them loveable to the pre-rock generation.

One of their great achievements was to reference - however fleetingly - such a broad range of styles and genres that most people could get drawn in by something - r'n b, country, music hall, kiddy songs, psychedelia, Dylanesque folky (and electric) stuff, eastern exoticism, avant-garde experimentalism, slushy love songs etc..... And there was never too much of the novelty stuff on one album to alienate the core audience.

Makes me wonder how far they were a significant cause, how far just a symptom of the late-20thC (and beyond) taste for musical diversity.

May I ask which biography you read? Last week I checked out Bob Spitz's The Beatles: A Biography, Peter Brown's The Love You Make from the library but have not begun either; I also placed reserves for A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles by Mark Hertsgaard and Here, There, and Everywhere: My Life Recording with the Beatles by Geoff Emerick (the latter two are currently checked out by other library patrons).

I'm not going to have time to make it through all of these but if you or anyone else can recommend one or two, that would be great.

The Bob Spitz. A friend loaned it to me a couple years ago. At around thousand pages and having thought I knew everything or wanted to know about the Beatles I never got around to it till a couple weeks ago. Once you get to when Beatlemania starts to pick up it's a great page tuner which really takes you right there with what was going on. The early part while not as fun does give you insight into their personality traits/issues.

The book’s intent is not to mythologize or slander anybody but I will say after finishing it probably the only Beatle I would have wanted to “have a beer with” would have been Ringo.

More on the Abbey Road re-master. She’s So Heavy just rocks the house down now, on Here Comes The Sun when Paul’s bass comes in it is now a wow moment. I had forgot that song even had bass on it. On You Never Give Me Your Money the reverb on the little guitar solo is so luscious. The three guitar solos on The End you can really pick up on who is playing which solo now. Listening to the suite that closes Abbey Road I found myself chuckling in disbelief at how good it is and the flood of happy memories it brought back.

Ok, time for the Grant Green to get the same remaster box and Rock Band treatment. ☺

The three guitar solos on The End you can really pick up on who is playing which solo now.

I thought that was all Paul. No?

One each, George, John, Paul. Forgetting the order.

John is the one with all the distortion. George is using the slide. That's how I identify them. I believe the order is Paul, George, John...

Let me see if I have this straight. You have the mono versions, several of which also include a stereo version from 1965, then you have stereo versions based on an '80's mix, and all these versions have slight vocal and instrumental variations... Is Phil Schaap involved in this??