Shorty Rogers

mr jazz

Just about everything he did through about 1956 is worthwhile. Unfortunately, I can't provide information as to what's on CD currently. He made a fine session for Capitol in 1952 that used to be on a CD entitled "Birth of the Cool Volume Two". He made several sessions for RCA Victor 1953-54, some of which is included on the aforementioned "Short Stops" CD. In 1955 he recorded several sessions for Atlantic, some of which came out at the time, and more of which was issued in the 1970's-80's. All of the Atlantic dates were gathered together on a Mosaic set some years ago, probably expensive nowadays. He returned to RCA Victor in 1956, issuing the memorable "Wherever the Five Winds Blow", but after that, the records became increasingly commercial and inconsistent.

If you stick to the earlier stuff, you'll be rewarded with some fine listening.

I also recommend the 5CD JSP set - It's actually on special via Amazon at present ($14.99) but it appears to be OOS.

It's very comprehensive & the sound is impressive, covering up to 1954 (Capitol, RCA & live material that was on the Xanadu label; even includes some of his "Boots Brown" material) - no Atlantic recordings (hopefully that will be on Vol. 2 or get them on the Collectables releases)

The one review in Amazon gives it an average rating due to poor sound quality - sorry, but beg to differ

Another good early compilation (up to 1953) is the UK Giant Steps 2CD - The Sweetheart Of Sigmund Freud

While we're on the subject of Shorty Rogers, does anyone know if the UK Clickin' With Clax LP (unreleased Atlantic material) has ever had a CD release apart from the 80's Mosaic box?

Have been looking for that material for a while (but I'm not prepared to pay the big $$'s for a Mosaic Box - have placed bids for this in the past but always missed out)

While we're on the subject of Shorty Rogers, does anyone know if the UK Clickin' With Clax LP (unreleased Atlantic material) has ever had a CD release apart from the 80's Mosaic box?

Have been looking for that material for a while (but I'm not prepared to pay the big $$'s for a Mosaic Box - have placed bids for this in the past but always missed out)

The Mosaic box was the first reissue of the Atlantic UK Clickin' with Clax album.

It remains the only reissue of the material so far!

The Mosaic box was the first reissue of the Atlantic UK Clickin' with Clax album.

It remains the only reissue of the material so far!

And 'Clickin' With Clax' even got to the top of the jazz charts over here when it came out, such was the clamour of the bearded jazz geeks to get hold of it. Came out ahead of Spyrogyra !

Edited by sidewinder

If I'd known that Clickin' With Clax album is still clicking that much with people here I ought to have picked up those 2 or 3 dirt cheap vinyl copies that turned up in the secondhand clearout bins at a local record store here those past 2 years or so. Too bad ...

To stop anyone else having it? ;)

It's very good, and odd it hasn't had a life on CD outside the Mosaic.

If I'd known that Clickin' With Clax album is still clicking that much with people here I ought to have picked up those 2 or 3 dirt cheap vinyl copies that turned up in the secondhand clearout bins at a local record store here those past 2 years or so. Too bad ...

No, to pass them on to where they apparently would be wanted ;) (if only one knew everybody's wants ;)). ;) Because where these records sat and may not have been sold off fast I figure they eventually ended up in an even larger clearout bin where they got totally inundated in a huge mass of pop/MOR/light classics clearout fare.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Probably because it's British ;)

Incidentally, I also came across a stash of multiple copies of this album a few years ago and passed as I already had a copy - and the Mosaic. There seems to be an alternative universe full of them (a bit like Biroid life forms..)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump! Just picked-up the Japanese Atlantic CD in 24bit of Clickin' with Clax, brilliant beaming west coast cool!

Agree with comments and recommendations for Wherever The Five Winds Blow, but also I recommend the Gene Norman presents Modern Sounds - Shorty Rogers & Gerry Mulligan. With His Giants, Rogers gets the A-Side recorded in 1951 and it will dispel any prejudices about the west coast.

Bump! Just picked-up the Japanese Atlantic CD in 24bit of Clickin' with Clax, brilliant beaming west coast cool!

Agree with comments and recommendations for Wherever The Five Winds Blow, but also I recommend the Gene Norman presents Modern Sounds - Shorty Rogers & Gerry Mulligan. With His Giants, Rogers gets the A-Side recorded in 1951 and it will dispel any prejudices about the west coast.

Agree with your recommendations, Art Salt! Have had both albums on vinyl for many years - Clickin' on British Atlantic since the 80s and Modern Sounds on Capitol/EMI since the early 60s. I recall student friend Brian Priestley - later to become a noted jazz author - being very sniffy about my enthusiasm for the latter in that age of hard bop. I'm sure he felt differently in his maturity! :smirk:

My reccomendation is Martians Go Home! No, wait, Martians Come Back!

"Martians Stay Home" is another UK only Atlantic release (was released after "Clickin With Clax"?) - this has been released on a Fresh Sound triple set & the Mosaic box

Hopefully this will be released in Japan with the current Atlantic reissue series (4 so far) to round off his Atlantic output