Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Wheel

Tristano Robots

20 posts in this topic

Via Dave Liebman's newsletter. I'm getting reallllly sick of xtranormal videos but sometimes the dialogue is just too good.

it ain't just Tristano, though that's quite hilarious (I remember Dick Katz saying that somebody was gonna release a recording of "Bird coughing.")

on the other hand, for the little time I spend in Tristano's presence, I was ready to take the cool-aid, just so he would accept me. He had that effect (though jeez, I was only, like, 22) -

Edited by Jim Alfredson

I have those tapes with Tristano on Fender Rhodes.

Bertrand.

Bertrand.

No idea if that story about Tristano & the Rhodes & The Supremes is true or not (I'm quite skeptical, but hell, you never know...), but - Tristano did send a letter into Down Beat claiming that Diana Ross was the best jazz singer since Billie Holiday. And it got published, that letter did.

apparently Liebman studied with Tristano when Liebman was 17 - and lived to tell about it.

Bertrand.

No idea if that story about Tristano & the Rhodes & The Supremes is true or not (I'm quite skeptical, but hell, you never know...), but - Tristano did send a letter into Down Beat claiming that Diana Ross was the best jazz singer since Billie Holiday. And it got published, that letter did.

I was there when it arrived.

What was people's response upon reading it?

What was people's response upon reading it?

I have no idea, though it was quite clear that Lennie meant what he said to be ex cathedra controversial. Why else send it to Down Beat?

IIRC, Dan Morgenstern, my then-boss, found the letter both interesting and somewhat amusing -- not the opinion expressed per se but the ex cathedra aspect. OTOH no one who knew of or knew Tristano could have been surprised by that tone; OTOH it was surprising that he decided to bestir himself in that manner on those grounds.

Occasionally, I regret not going the academic route with music. Watching these cartoons reminded me of why I made that choice.

All of this it better than true - thank your gods the music produced was beyond interesting.

Hmm... watching the robot vids and then reading the comments on this piece (Tristano in Denmark playing "Tangerine") is just...

Check 'em:

Just stumbled on the "Tristano Robots" videos above on YouTube earlier today (not through this thread) -- way, way too funny!!

so was this based on Tristano it is said he had some sort of psychological hold over the students or is there any truth to that or he had some 'effect' etc because Konitz broke away from that but Warne maybe not as much? 

I don't know how I miss this the first time but I'm LOLing