What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It reminds me a bit of "the sound pool" by MEV; a sort of anything goes wtf thing. Sure it's an interesting album, but not something I would play more then once or twice. That said it's been over 15 years since I got rid of my vinyl so maybe I should cue it up again on my "scratching the seventies" box to see if my opinion is any different.

I don't know if Rod Levitt has been mentioned here (and I'm too lazy to read through 11 pages), but judging from what I've heard (only the Riverside/OJC reissue) and from the comments on the Levitt thread, one or more of his RCA recordings might be a possibility for a very good reissue.

yeah, it's a good one, although I do prefer the Horo and of course his work with Lacy.

Are you referring to this record: ?...

"The Forest & The Zoo" (1966) - Steve Lacy (ESP 1060)

great counterpoint exchanges between Lacy and Rava.

It has been remastered and reissued on CD some years ago fixing a technical issue (out of phase)

of the original vinyl copy.

Was not aware of this technical issue? Have the original Lp and it sounds fine to me.

I have that BASF LP and agree it is nice. Also the Rava LP on Vista is very good (same band pretty much as "quotation marks"). Also have a rare Rava LP released only in Argentina from this vintage that is really good. Maybe I'll pull it out tonight and play it..

Yes,

Rava recorded in Argentina a session on April 1974 included in the LP "Quotation Marks" on German label JAPO (this record also includes a New York, December 1973 session with J.Abercrombie, Jeanne Lee, J.DeJohnette etc.).

Another very rare session was co-led by Enrico Rava and pianist Fernando Gelbard on December 1975 in Buenos Aires - "El Convidado"

R-4091093-1354929309-3970.jpeg.jpg

I don't know if Rod Levitt has been mentioned here (and I'm too lazy to read through 11 pages), but judging from what I've heard (only the Riverside/OJC reissue) and from the comments on the Levitt thread, one or more of his RCA recordings might be a possibility for a very good reissue.

There is a reissue on Jazz Collectors with two RCA LPs, LPM 3372 & 3448:

51UbBh8NxWL.jpg

p.s. But the last of Levitt's RCA LPs, 42nd Street, RCA LPM 3615, has never been reissued, to my knowledge.

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...

A properly done reissue of the RCA Rod Levitt material would be serious cause for excitement.

Would I have bought Sound again? Probably not. But the existing CD is a dilution of the LP and it is a pity not to have the original edit on CD and in improved sound.

I strongly disagree with this statement.

Well, even if you don't share my less is more perspective, you might agree that the 1996 sound is a little hard, even cold, and might benefit from remastering?

• 2 weeks later...

Would I have bought Sound again? Probably not. But the existing CD is a dilution of the LP and it is a pity not to have the original edit on CD and in improved sound.

Well, even if you don't share my less is more perspective, you might agree that the 1996 sound is a little hard, even cold, and might benefit from remastering?

Can't say I find the 1996 CD cold and/or hard. It's always sounded vey good to me. I've not heard the original LP so have nothing to compare it too.

Regarding Am Evening with Wild Man Fischer, I just read this online. I know nothing about this but...

"An Evening with Wild Man Fischer is a 1968 double LP album by Wild Man Fischer. It was produced by Frank Zappa and released on his Bizarre record label. The copyright is owned by the estate of Frank Zappa, whose widow Gail has refused to release it on compact disc.[2]"

Regarding Am Evening with Wild Man Fischer, I just read this online. I know nothing about this but...

"An Evening with Wild Man Fischer is a 1968 double LP album by Wild Man Fischer. It was produced by Frank Zappa and released on his Bizarre record label. The copyright is owned by the estate of Frank Zappa, whose widow Gail has refused to release it on compact disc.[2]"

I know, but maybe she'd license it to you.

The thing is, it's a seriously affecting album. Frank (of all people) took someone you'd either laugh at or avoid and humanized him. Gail has said she thinks it's a novelty album that cheapens Frank's legacy, and that's why she doesn't want to release it. I think it has partly to do with an incident at their home when Fischer almost seriously harmed one of their children. I'm hoping she'll see licensing it to you as a good "third way."

Can't say I find the 1996 CD cold and/or hard. It's always sounded vey good to me. I've not heard the original LP so have nothing to compare it too.

Well, I'm just agreeing with JLH, but I realise it isn't going to happen.