Count Basie Verve Mosaic running low

J.A.W.

The Complete Count Basie Verve Fifties Studio Recordings Mosaic 8CD-set is now running low.

I was wondering when this would happen....

This was one of my first Mosaic's ( and Ellington Reprise, Hodges Verve sessions) and always have had a respect for the set, its musicians and its place in history.

If anyone hasn't gotten this set that has even a remote interest in Basie, or big band, get this.

Just looked up when I bought this (Jun 2005 #1061) and now I have 46 sets.....I love what Mosaic stands for and produces----and this forum to be able to discuss!!!

First things first, any era of the Basie band was a good one! Some better than others...but always cool and swingin'

As far as the Clef/Verve box and the Roulette boxes are concerned, I would like to throw some thoughts into the ring:

The Clef years found Basie with a newly reformed band, some charts from the old days, and some new arrangements by, among others, Ernie Wilkins (who really knew how to write big band charts...) Lockjaw Davis, Paul Quinchette and Joe Newman have quite a bit of the solo duties. The band, to me, sounds unbalanced compared to the late 50s, but that may well be recording technology (or Reunald Jones' VERY loud sound).

A really cool part of the Mosaic Clef/Verve set is the small group recordings with Buddy Rich, Lockjaw Davis, Oscar Peterson, Paul Quinchette, etc. I could listen to that music all day. I didn't know to expect small band with this set. :party:

The band recorded a lot of charts that I had not heard before getting this set, "Basie's Back In Town" and "Coast to Coast" for example.

Of course there are the "April in Paris" sessions and the Joe Williams sessions that are classic.

I love having this boxed set and listen to it often...however, I prefer the Roulette Studio and Live recordings better (completely subjective).

I think the reason is threefold: Better sound quality, more interesting (for me) arrangements, more defined section phrasing.

The sound quality is just a product of the times, but the Roulettes are amazing (same goes for the Maynard Ferguson Big Band recordings on Roulette). The arrangements on the Roulettes feature Frank Foster and Thad Jones in all of their big band glory plus Ernie Wilkins, Frank Wess and Neal Hefti...the band NAILS the music. Marshal Royal is lead alto perfection, and Snooky Young is a powerhouse lead player with taste. For big band, the Roulette Studio sessions is my "Desert Island" box set.

So, I've been bugging Mosaic to release Basie from the mid 60s till around 1970....but I doubt that'll happen.

Hopefully everyone who wanted the Basie Clef/Verve box set got it!!!!

I'm wondering if this timed out or sold out?

First things first, any era of the Basie band was a good one! Some better than others...but always cool and swingin'

As far as the Clef/Verve box and the Roulette boxes are concerned, I would like to throw some thoughts into the ring:

The Clef years found Basie with a newly reformed band, some charts from the old days, and some new arrangements by, among others, Ernie Wilkins (who really knew how to write big band charts...) Lockjaw Davis, Paul Quinchette and Joe Newman have quite a bit of the solo duties. The band, to me, sounds unbalanced compared to the late 50s, but that may well be recording technology (or Reunald Jones' VERY loud sound).

A really cool part of the Mosaic Clef/Verve set is the small group recordings with Buddy Rich, Lockjaw Davis, Oscar Peterson, Paul Quinchette, etc. I could listen to that music all day. I didn't know to expect small band with this set. :party:

The band recorded a lot of charts that I had not heard before getting this set, "Basie's Back In Town" and "Coast to Coast" for example.

Of course there are the "April in Paris" sessions and the Joe Williams sessions that are classic.

I love having this boxed set and listen to it often...however, I prefer the Roulette Studio and Live recordings better (completely subjective).

I think the reason is threefold: Better sound quality, more interesting (for me) arrangements, more defined section phrasing.

The sound quality is just a product of the times, but the Roulettes are amazing (same goes for the Maynard Ferguson Big Band recordings on Roulette). The arrangements on the Roulettes feature Frank Foster and Thad Jones in all of their big band glory plus Ernie Wilkins, Frank Wess and Neal Hefti...the band NAILS the music. Marshal Royal is lead alto perfection, and Snooky Young is a powerhouse lead player with taste. For big band, the Roulette Studio sessions is my "Desert Island" box set.

So, I've been bugging Mosaic to release Basie from the mid 60s till around 1970....but I doubt that'll happen.

Hopefully everyone who wanted the Basie Clef/Verve box set got it!!!!

I'm wondering if this timed out or sold out?

:tup I agree. I wanted to say all that but I feel too tired and lazy tonight. ^_^

I've not listened to Basie of any era for some time. Not sure why . Recall being underwhelmed by the Verve set preferring the Roulette live LP set ( which I scored for around £30 IIRC). I'd had some of the Verves gathered on a CompactJazz collection from my earliest CD buying days and found I preferred its economy to the full Mosaic. Time to revisit once I've revisited the Monk with Rouses that troubled Moms......