Arne Domnerus

Tjazz

I just picked-up a Arne Domnerus Quartet LP : Fragments. It had a clarinet on the cover, some clarinet jazz. I had never heard of him before and thought the $2 record was worth a try.

Looking at allmusic.com there were alot of albums under his name.

Has anybody heard of him?

I just picked-up a Arne Domnerus Quartet LP : Fragments. It had a clarinet on the cover, some clarinet jazz. I had never heard of him before and thought the $2 record was worth a try.

Looking at allmusic.com there were alot of albums under his name.

Arne Domnerus was an excellent Swedish alto sax & clarinet player. He recorded numerous sessions over his lengthy career. Aside from Lars Gullin, with whom Arne often recorded, Domnerus was

perhaps the most prominent Swedish jazz musician for many decades.

I have many many of his CDs on a variety of labels.

Reading the title of this thread, I figured you were asking about his activities in more recent times (he died in Sept., 2008, BTW, at age 84).

But THIS?

Never even heard of him?? :blink:

So I'll have to agree with this:

Expand your horizons. Listen to Jan Johansson.

There has ALWAYS been a jazz world of substance outside the US of A and Arne D. was a major player in this field for several decades. Any "T"jazz fan at least ought to be "aware" of his existence.

As for the link with legendary Jan Johansson, check the Johansson/Domnerus collaboration of 1959-61 on Dragon DRCD186.

Also highly recommended are Arne's early recordings with Rolf Ericson (THAT name familiar, from his US stint at least? ;)) on Dragon DRCD 381, as well as his 1959-61 orchestra recordings on Dragon DRCD 196.

His presence on the renowned Jazz Pa Stampen (Jazz At The Pawnshop) recordings from the 70s should be noted as well.

Domnérus was in the Swedish All Stars group that took the 1949 Paris Jazz Festival by storm (where Miles Davis and Tadd Dameron also played), he jammed with Charlie Parker in 1950, recorded with James Moody in 1949 and 1951 and with Clifford Brown in 1953, to name some of his early achievements. He was first recorded as a teenager in 1941, so his recording career spanned well over six decades.

I remember when I worked in a jazz record store in the late '70's, all of a sudden everyone was asking for Jazz At The Pawnshop. It was an import then and very hard to obtain, so we only got a few copies at a time and they always sold out immediately. And this was a 2-LP import, very expensive.

Nowadays, you can download it from eMusic:

600x600.jpg

eMusic