Most Disappointing No-Shows

Pete C

In 1991 I went to a Charlie Parker tribute concert at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Kenny Drew was supposed to be on piano, and I was really looking forward to it, but he didn't make it to the states for some reason, and Stanley Cowell played instead. I never got to see Drew live. I believe it was, however, the only time I saw A.T. Here's a review of the show:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/05/23/news/pop-in-review-729591.html

Mentioned this before...

I was ending a short stay in New York back in September 1980 and decided to check Bill Evans's appearance at Fat Tuesday's on the eve of my departure, showed up at the club where a note indicated he would not be playing that evening.

Back in Paris, I caught the news of his death!

Not a "no show" per se, but the result was no show, so I guess it counts... I went to see Jaki Byard and Michael Marcus in a duo performance at the Regattabar in Cambridge. There was a massive power outage so they postponed the show. Jaki was murdered before the rescheduled show.

I missed Dennis Gonzalez, Hugh Hopper and Elton Dean at Downtown Music Gallery due to the big blackout of 2003. I heard that Hopper borrowed an acoustic guitar for the gig since he couldn't play electric bass.

Well, I've no-showed a few.

I've also had a few cancel after I'd booked the ticket (especially sad Eddie Jefferson).

I went to a Hank Jones / Tommy Flanagan concert and ended up with solo piano. I saw Chet Baker, horn-less.

Strange I can't remember more. Most of them were decades ago when concerts were just about daily events and jazz had more players with (hate to use the term) "demons".

Not a "no show" per se, but the result was no show, so I guess it counts... I went to see Jaki Byard and Michael Marcus in a duo performance at the Regattabar in Cambridge. There was a massive power outage so they postponed the show. Jaki was murdered before the rescheduled show.

Damn! The reschedule was a terrible no-show.

The details have slipped my mind, but I believe David Newman was going to play the Jazz Showcase in Dec. 2008, as I was thinking of bringing my father in law (who was a Fathead fan). Of course, David had major health problems and died within a few weeks (followed so closely by Hank Crawford). :(

On a more positive note, I saw Johnny Griffin on one of his last concerts in Chicago (and did bring my FIL). Never expected to see Griffin play live, given that he had relocated to France.

The details slip my mind but Fathead also missed a date in south Florida not long before he died.

I did go in to NYC to catch Ray Brown with Gene Harris at the Blue Note only it turned out to be Benny Green in the piano chair. It wasn't long after that I read that Gene was going on his own and that Benny had officially joined Ray. The concert was great but it was my last chance to see Gene in person.

Damn! The reschedule was a terrible no-show.

You know, now that I think about it more, the rescheduled show may have happened but I couldn't make it so it turned out to be a "no show" for me. However, I never did get to see Jaki perform as he died before coming back into Boston again.

I'm still bummed out about that power outage to this day. We tried to talk the Regattabar to let them play acoustic but management said that it would violate their liability insurance policies.

At the Edinburgh Jazz Festival quite a number of years ago I attended a lunch time gig by the Junior Mance Trio. I sat down and was surprised to find out that Junior wasn't well. Instead Stan Tracey, John Bunch and Paul Harrison played short solo sets. I was enthralled by Stan but probably loved Bunch ( who I hadn't heard of at that point) the most.

I once took the ride to Jazzkeller in Frankfurt to hear Philly Joe Jones - there was a note on the door he had cancelled scant hours before the show for health reasons. There was a fan at the door just as disappointed making remarks about substance problems ... it wasn't long before he died. I really would have loved to see him play live.

Edited by mikeweil

I was enthralled by Stan but probably loved Bunch ( who I hadn't heard of at that point) the most.

Bunch is an excellent late swing pianist. I saw him many times at the now defunct Zinno Italian restaurant in Greenwich Village, often in a trio with Jay Leonhardt & Bucky Pizzarelli. I also saw that trio do a freebie at the Umbria festival. I think the first time I saw bunch was at Bradley's in the late '70s. Junior Mance was also a regular at Zinno (Bruno, the Milanese bartender, called him "Juny-or Mahn-say), and now he performs at Cafe Loup, across the street, where Bruno works since the demise of Zinno.

I was planning to see Stan Tracey last time I was in London, in 2009, but Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellin let out too late to make it practical.

About twenty years ago I took a date to see Janis Siegel with Fred Hersch in Atlanta. There was a power outtage, and as we all waited outside we were told that the fire marshal prohibited the concert from being performed.

Fire marshals seem to be the enemies of jazz!

I missed Dennis Gonzalez, Hugh Hopper and Elton Dean at Downtown Music Gallery due to the big blackout of 2003. I heard that Hopper borrowed an acoustic guitar for the gig since he couldn't play electric bass.

Hey, I was at that gig!

Hopper tried in vain to find an acoustic bass. A woman ran a mile or two to her apartment to get her acoustic guitar for him to borrow.