Levon Helm, R.I.P.

Chalupa

This was just posted on his Facebook page... :(

Dear Friends,

Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. ...

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage...

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.

From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy

---------------------------------------------------------------

Always liked his singing and drumming. Take it easy Levon.

Edit: changed thread title.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was just posted on his Facebook page... :(

Dear Friends,

Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. ...

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage...

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.

From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy

---------------------------------------------------------------

Always liked his singing and drumming. Take it easy Levon.

Very sad. Up on Cripple Creek..........

Levon Helm is the man. sad to hear he's not well. fuck...

"Don'tchya do it. Don't do it. Don'tchya break my heart. Pleeaaaz!" great musician man. just great. will try to motivate and put together a short tribute vid for the man but i just don't have time tonight. for some reason when i think of him, i usually picture him singing the song i quoted. one of my all-time favorites. he just nails it so beautiful and heartfelt.

"Don'tchya do it. Don't do it. Don'tchya break my heart. Pleeaaaz!" great musician man. just great. will try to motivate and put together a short tribute vid for the man but i just don't have time tonight. for some reason when i think of him, i usually picture him singing the song i quoted. one of my all-time favorites. he just nails it so beautiful and heartfelt.

Here, nice little video from the gig that resulted in the live album Rock of Ages.

Snooky Young, Joe Farrell, Howard Johnson, Earl McIntyre, J.D. Parron... how cool is this reeds/brass section?

F

The encore from "The Last Waltz" - that one is FUNKY! Funky as hell!

How Levon and Danko lock in the groove together, so sparse, so seemingly simple... but darn! To me, they're the best rock band of all times! And Helm singing and kicking his drums at the same time is something else!

Great duet with Richard Manuel on Whispering Pines!

I remember Marcus Van Story of the Sun Rhythm section telling us in the kitchen at the Twist and Shout club in Bethesda Maryland that everyone knew him as luh VONN in Arkansas, but the Hawks could not pronounce his name so it morphed into LEE vonn.

An older brother turned me on to "Music From Big Pink" when it first came out, and I became a fan of The Band immediately. It wasn't until years later and after the band broke up that I really started to appreciate the individual talents of each of the group's members. Helm really stood out for me.

His recent record "Electric Dirt" is pretty good too.

And its predecessor Dirt Farmer.

The one time I saw him live, not so long ago, he was having voice problems and couldn't sing, but his playing was superb. It was a taping of Elvis Costello's Spectacle at the Apollo, and how's this for a guest list: Levon, Allen Toussaint, Richard Thompson & Nick Lowe, plus Ray La Montaigne.

The one time I saw him live, not so long ago, he was having voice problems and couldn't sing, but his playing was superb. It was a taping of Elvis Costello's Spectacle at the Apollo, and how's this for a guest list: Levon, Allen Toussaint, Richard Thompson & Nick Lowe, plus Ray La Montaigne.

BRILLIANT!

Thank you so much for finding this.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uyXOjiVhH5U

BRILLIANT!

Thank you so much for finding this.

Oh, that is special...when Toussaint comes in on the vocal, well. And the way you just know Helm's just singing it aloud in his head.