Donna Summer dies

brownie

Sorry to hear this...I didn't like her at first, thought that "Love To Love You Baby" was a cheap gimmick that could have been anybody, but as time went on, I began to hear her voice for the quality instrument that it was, that she had and was indeed working hard for the money (sorry...). And when "I Feel Love" came out, that was like...ok, this is where they're taking it, her and Moroder. That was a really stop-you-in-your-tracks-the-first-time-you-heard-it record. Of course, they took it lots of places, but once I realized that she was a voice willfully involved in Moroder's various role-playing games, it was all good with me. Well, almost all good, that "MacArthur Park" they did...I still can't get to that.

Beyond that, though, she helped define an era, and made some still pretty good damn dance records in the process.

So long, it was good to know you.

I can listen to her music with great fondness. Love the Donna Summer/Bee Gee's/Doobie Brothers top 40 era. Still personally can't think of her without recourse to the awful statement about aids. That was truly horrible. It appears she later claimed she did not say anything of the sort.

Edited by freelancer

I can listen to her music with great fondness. Love the Donna Summer/Bee Gee's/Doobie Brothers top 40 era. Still personally can't think of her without recourse to the awful statement about aids. That was truly horrible. It appears she later claimed she did not say anything of the sort.

FWIW, it's never been clear that she made the remarks in the first place. The "reports" of her words, such as they are, seem to mostly stem from rumors of her early '80s concerts rather than any clear documentation. Some people are claiming that stuff that Gloria Gaynor actually said got attributed to Summer. From what I can tell this is the kind of thing where a rumor that's quite plausible (Summer became a born-again Christian and in later interviews seemed to imply that she thought being gay is a sin, but also none of her business) is still far from proven.

Edited by Big Wheel

Tenor sax man Babe Clarke worked with her sometime in the mid 70's at (I think) the Copa. He told me she was great to work with and he was impressed with her singing.

I always enjoyed her records. I thought the material was good and they were well performed and well produced.

RIP Donna. I was sorry to hear of your passing.